Pete Tong.................. Got It Wrong....Twice

J

jandrews

My whole Holiday was built around the Radio 1 weekend, and the two days at Punta Es Moli were wicked. But this was mainly down to two things, Tongy only played a couple of tracks, and everyone there was there to see a group of people and not just the man himself...

But that all changed on Friday night at Pacha, it was a shame, cos he had to follow and absolutely wicked set by David Guetta (man of the moment out in Ibiza if you ask me), he played a blinding set, and even though the club was absolutely rammed (to bursting point) he kept the crowd entertained at all times, he picked us up, dragged as along, then found even funkier tunes to throw us all around the room and he really seemed to be enjoying himself as well......but true to form, Pete Tong Got It Wrong.....he played for himself, hardly made any crowd interaction at all and played what I can only describe as a very mediocre set. You could tell it wasn’t going down that well cos the club was still rammed at the end of Guetta's set, but as soon as Tong started playing, it got emptier and cooler at, not a terrible thing as it was hot as hell in there, until at the end of the night, there was a crowd there who were only there cos they were big Tongy fans.

So the night ended on a couple of very poor tracks if you ask me...the guy has no flare when he plays live, he played a couple of dodgy tracks if you ask me, some Nirvana mix, another Coldplay remix...and yes you guessed it...the U2 track again.....all in all, the guys I was there with (6 of us in total) weren’t at all impressed and were all a bit gutted we hadn’t left after David Guetta...but not to worry we thought...Tong played a wicked set at Space on the Terrace the year before (finishing on U2 as said on forum earlier...doesn’t he have any new records for Gods sake) so he had all to play for and we were sure it was gonna be a good one.

So Saturday came and went, Punta Es Moli again for Seb Fontaine (who was wicked) then on to Pin Up for a fantastic night, Lottie, Guetta again, Emmerson and Tim Deluxe...a great night, and the cheapest of the holiday...Ending the night at El Devino's was great...and wow, what a club and what a view.

Sunday...the day had arrived, space was upon us and we made our way down there at11am to get the whole day in....as said in other posts, everyone leading up to Tong was great, and Groove Armada's set was great.... some top tunes and the energy in the room was amazing....

And then there was Tong........ Granted he played the last set, and yes they do have to adhere to local noise pollution levels..... But oh deary me.... started of with a few dodgy mixes, and some very week tunes...and believe it or not a lot of people were standing around with there arms crossed waiting for something special...that didn’t happen I’m afraid.... bad mixing turned to worse mixing, people complaining that they couldn’t here a thing..and even a guy in the crowd holding up a digital place reading "TONGY IS A TWAT" which changed shortly after to "TONGY IS A LAZY TWAT", and then the night was wound down with U2 and a new mix of Plastic Dreams, awesome track, but it was a case of far too little far far to late. I would be very surprised if this guy is invited back again to play the terrace,...and if he is I definitely don’t think it will be for the last set.....

Plenty of young kids saved for a long time to get out to Ibiza just for this one weekend a year....I know that is why me and my mates were there...and one of the main guys we went to see ended up playing mediocre uninspired sets that were what you would expect from a newbie bedroom DJ, not a world renowned radio DJ and somebody who is supposed to have inspired the scene......all it would have taken was a couple of massive tunes...be them brand new or not, and the crowd would have been whipped up into a total frenzy, they could have been a couple of old classic...and not U2 again...cos he may have torn up the Terrace with it last year...but people into the scene want to hear new fresh stuff...and at least new mixes. I for one wont be hurrying to see there man himself moving forward.... maybe he should just stay in his studio at Radio 1 and have his teem sort him out.... cos I don’t think he is worth anything else anymore...don't get me wrong, I have seen this guy play some amazing sets.... but maybe his time has passed

jandrews said:
But that all changed on Friday night at Pacha, it was a shame, cos he had to follow and absolutely wicked set by David Guetta (man of the moment out in Ibiza if you ask me), he played a blinding set, and even though the club was absolutely rammed (to bursting point) he kept the crowd entertained at all times, he picked us up, dragged as along, then found even funkier tunes to throw us all around the room and he really seemed to be enjoying himself as well......but true to form, Pete Tong Got It Wrong.....he played for himself, hardly made any crowd interaction at all and played what I can only describe as a very mediocre set. You could tell it wasn’t going down that well cos the club was still rammed at the end of Guetta's set, but as soon as Tong started playing, it got emptier and cooler at, not a terrible thing as it was hot as hell in there, until at the end of the night, there was a crowd there who were only there cos they were big Tongy fans.

So the night ended on a couple of very poor tracks if you ask me...the guy has no flare when he plays live, he played a couple of dodgy tracks if you ask me, some Nirvana mix, another Coldplay remix...and yes you guessed it...the U2 track again.....all in all, the guys I was there with (6 of us in total) weren’t at all impressed and were all a bit gutted we hadn’t left after David Guetta...

COMPLETLY agree!

No disrespect, but the Radio 1 weekend has always been poor!!!!

I always book my holiday to avoid it, because when it's on you get more beer boys, inflated prices, and poor line up's....

The only good thing used to be the LGDP (Danny Rampling) but now he's gone!!! Maybe he'd be suited to that now though after hearing him play 'Benny Benassi - Satisfaction ' in Pacha 2 weeks ago, couldn't believe what I was hearing...............

It's cheesy as out, Dave Pearce and all that......

EVERYONE SHOULD BOYCOTT IT NEXT YEAR, COS ALL THERE IN IT FOR IS THE MONEY!!!!

DEF MIX IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!

Id advise you on not booking up for the radio1 weekend.

Ive been to ibiza 7 times now, always in July before the kids break up and in sept, just before the end of season, the beer boys are to a minimum, and the place is truely a cosmopolitan place.

Can I ask, why do people go on the R1 weekend? To see DJs they can see week in week out at home (UK)? Experience some of the true ibiza, visit the clubs on local based nights.

viva house!

Well said mate, thats what I say exactly.....

You need to try see DJ's that your not gonna see all year round in UK.

f*** Radio 1.... Sooner listen to Galaxy anyhow, Morales, Park etc...

Just to throw a spanner in the works.....I heard Tong play out at Pure Pacha a couple of weeks ago at the Renaissance night.

Few of us were a bit nervous about hearing him due to his rather public image and I hadn't heard him dj since the old days at Cream.

However he did pull it out of the bag and I have to say the place rocked. I was with some real house music geeks and we all agreed that it was far better than we could have ever expected....AND he put in a lot of obvious effort. One of my friends who hates Pete Tong with passion even had to admit that he was good on the night.

However.....we are all entitled to our own opinions......

I would also like to say though that i heard some abyssmal sets on Space terrace this year as well (I went to 2 Sundays at Space). The ONLY dj to really rock the house was Jonathon Ulysses - but that was no surprise.

think your all being a bit harsh........... if he was shit at mixing then he wouldn;t be booked to play the best clubs on the island - end of!!!

and the radio 1 weekend is by far the best weekend of the summer, they generate such a brilliant atmosphere and get the place bouncing...........

RupertP said:
I always book my holiday to avoid it, because when it's on you get more beer boys, inflated prices, and poor line up's....

I thought that this year, does anyone else agree that the line ups dip over the week leading up to and following that weekend???

This year was the only time i've ever been there for one complete Radio One weekend and I felt the line ups weren't up to scratch...IMO...

I reckon there was just as many repulsive beer boys though as ever before, when will they realise that bright red sunburn down one side of your body, a football shirt, long shorts, SOCKS and trainers is not a good look... EVER... :rolleyes:

and as for the prices... :cry: the Euro is an evil invention bring back the potato!!!

X

J Andrews,

I agree with you mate, I didn't go to Pacha on the Friday but was at Space on Sunday and was disappointed.

In his defence

The music was not very loud to start with and I was struggling to get really going even when Groove Armarda were dropping back to back bombs (Billy Jean, Born Slippy, Man with the Red Face) etc

It did get quiter after Tong came on which was not his fault. To be honest I think he was as pissed off as everyone else about this situation.

Regarding the U2 situation, I honestly don't think he would have played that, had the rest of the set not been so flat. I think that was his get out of jail card for many people. I could be wrong tho.

However,

It was not one of the best sets I've ever herd from him and I did expect better.

This night was the biggest disappointment of my holiday.

Tong was great last year the cd from R1 has so many memories. We even held a re-enactment after arriving home last year and going to Basics straight after. All we would have needed was a terrace, freaks, the heat and the aircraft noises!

This may be a separate issue but is his Pure Pacha night worth it? Deep Dish are there on our last night, which is also the closing?

Has Pete gone Tong or was it just that he played the wrong time at Space recently and was restricted in the volume?

Back