Paul Van Dyk: New York Review (2/21/2003)

premile

I got to Roxy around midnight, the club opened at 11 -- at midnight the line was over 2 city blocks long. It took us 1 hour to move one block! Luckily we made it in around 1:50AM. I later found out that the NYPD (cops) came at 3AM and told the club to stop letting people in. Now some people had pre-sale tickets and still were told to go home -- only in New York.

The first 90 minutes PvD warmed up with some fluffy trance tracks -- long build-ups with vocals. By 3:30 he had the party going, the pace had picked up considerably and the crowd was going nuts. There was space to dance and I was surely dancing my butt off. Around 6AM he was dropping some harder tracks, the progression was faster with big bass drops. This was IT -- you had all the PvD heads jumping around and cheering until 8AM. Everyone thought he played his last record and started cheeering "PvD, PvD, PvD" he surprised us all and threw in 2 more bonus tracks :D :D

I've heard PvD play numerous sets in New York and Ibiza since 1999. Overall I'd give this set an A-

That's crazy that it took you almost three hours to get in! Is that a normal occurence in NY? I guess it didn't really get started until that late anyway, so at least you didn't miss anything. One of the last raves I went to here took about two hours to get to because the line of cars was backed up for miles. It took some people 4 or more hours, so I considered myself lucky. I wouldn't want to wait longer than three hours, that's ridiculous! I don't even try to go to raves any more, I don't like going to all that trouble beforehand, and besides, they don't really have them here anymore anyway.

I went to the Tunnel in NY about 2 years ago when I was over there. It was during Giuliani's days when they were cracking down hard on Ecstacy.
The club had been raided not too long before I went and ws allowed keep its club licence but lost its alcohol licence as a penalty for too much drugs there when it was raided. I could not understand this as surely allowing only water and soft drinks to be served does not tackle the ecstacy problem. The only reason I could think for it was that the authorities thought that if there was no alcohol allowed, eventually the club would lost all customers and it would have to close down, rather than them shut it down!!
can you guys shed any light on this???
I was in the Roxy last year which I thought was brilliant. Quite obvious that there was loads of drugs going round. Was afraid to get involved as last thing I wanted was to end up in a NYC slammer, especially when on a work trip.

jannica said:
That's crazy that it took you almost three hours to get in! Is that a normal occurence in NY?

In the past it's wasn't that long of a wait . Recently he only shows up in NYC once every 3-4 months, so more people make come in from all over the tri-state area for his sets.

That's cool. If I make it up to NYC next year sometime you will have to take me to the Roxy, sounds pretty cool. Are you up for it?
Music1.gif

P.V.D. was just in ohio about 2 weeks ago....amazing set... absolutely thrilling. only spun 2-1/2 hours but it was well worth it. i'm thinking about coming to ny to see him though b/c i could really go for an 8 hour fix.. any one know his scedule of whereabouts?

spunkymonkey said:
The only reason I could think for it was that the authorities thought that if there was no alcohol allowed, eventually the club would lost all customers and it would have to close down, rather than them shut it down!!
can you guys shed any light on this??

That could be one reason. Also the N.Y.C lawyers usually go through a lengthy process of compiling files and records on clubs before they actually shut them down. Maybe the liquor license was the first step...

Yeah PVD can be pretty nasty and sometimes he plays these longer sets. It sucked that he only spun for like 2-3 hrs @ Amnesia last summer the night I was there. I got to see him about a year ago @Factory when he spun for like 6 1/2 hrs it was great!

JuiceDog said:
I got to see him about a year ago @Factory when he spun for like 6 1/2 hrs it was great!

I was there at Soundfactory as well for PvD. They packed people in like a can of sardines, but the set was awesome.

he's sick......like i said in another post....saw him in Twilo when it was open ...in the middle of winter....that shit was cold...the line was 2 blocks long..but it was insane..love him

Anyone going to the Ultramusicfestival in Miami..can't miss it for the world was there 2 years ago...and i can't believe i'm missing it to go to amsterdam....dam.

pacha4life said:
saw him in Twilo

I saw him in Twilo as well. Funny story, over the years his sets at Twilo started to become somewhat monotonous. They issued a challenge to PvD on the twilo.com website. Word got back to PvD and he showed up in April 2001 and ripped the place up. His set was hard, fast, and furious from the first track -- it was the BEST - absolute BEST I've ever heard him play -- with so much intensity!!! After that all the New York pundits were put to rest....

Back