party-defining tunes (old and new)

stivi

I had an idea just this afternoon. We have our 'tracks for 2015' thread, but I thought why not having a thread where we put some of the tracks thad just 'made' a specific night for you. It can be current or many moons ago. What do you think of that? I'll start with a few examples...

Circoloco at DC10, Ibiza NYD 2015, Jackmaster
I don't think this one is a typical DC10 tune, but as Jackmaster's set was such a mixed bag (and superb overall), it fitted perfectly and to me it was the tune of the night. Sounds so good on a big soundsystem!

Timewarp Mannheim 2010, Reboot
A big hit I could't stand anymore for a while (because it was overplayed), but now I love it again. This was my first timewarp visit and this moment was certainly the climax of the whole event. I'm deliberately putting a video that was shot right there and not the original track video. What an atmosphere!

Energy Zurich 1994, can't remember who played it...
one for my own history books. A very, very young stivi at one of his first raves. Unsure whether Lenny Dee played this one or if it was DJ gangsta (swiss hero back then). But a tune that's been present in my head for 20 years now!

...now let's hear your pearls! If the thread proves popular I'll make it sticky.

Klock played this in a b2b set with Dettmann at Awakenings in 2013. The build up and the atmosphere literally gave me goosebumps and its a moment I will remember forever.

Clouds- Chained to a dead camel

Ben Klock & Marcel Dettmann FIREWORKS @ Awakening…:

One more!

Melon played this track when we were at the Trouw closing weekend. My friend called it as soon as he started to mix it in.....there was plenty of room to dance.....the lights changed and it was that after-smoke effect where you could literally see every face in the club (anyone who has been will know what I'm talking about) it was special!

Energy Zurich 1994, can't remember who played it...
one for my own history books. A very, very young stivi at one of his first raves. Unsure whether Lenny Dee played this one or if it was DJ gangsta (swiss hero back then). But a tune that's been present in my head for 20 years now!

...now let's hear your pearls! If the thread proves popular I'll make it sticky.

Big favourite of mine!!! I have around 40 slabs of vinyl from his labels and many sets (cassette tapes :eek:)... Although, judging from the sets of his from '94, i'm not sure if it would've been him playing something that "mellow"... :lol::)

Carl Cox @ Shine Xmas Party 2001, Belfast...

He played this as his last tune that night once the lights had been turned on... I'll never forget it!!! Up on stage, facing the 900 or so crowd, bottle of water in each hand, massive grin on my face... :D:D:D:D

This was taken as he played Diabla...

29868_403766139431_3369324_n.jpg

Richie Hawtin @ Sonar 2013... Playing Tale Of Us "Another World"

It was around 6:30am or so and the sun was on its way... I literally couldn't believe my eyes when all the confetti cannons went off all around the crowd!! Absolute chaos as no-one was expecting it!!!! :D:D:D:D

Sasha & Digweed playing 'Age Of Love' as last tune in their 5hr b2b set in Kelly's, Portrush... 2008...

I know people sometimes use the expression "sweat was dripping from the ceiling", but on this night, it actually was...

I didn't stop dancing for 5hrs and this was the perfect end to one of the last times they were ever to play together...

I left the club absolutely soaking!!!!! Actually able to wring the sweat out from my shirt!! :lol:

great tunes ric! always a climax when paul reynolds drops love is in the air! and of course age of love too :D

as for lenny dropping pillow lava, I think it could be possible. I know it came right at the start of the set, I have the set recorded on a cassette..it's somewhere hidden in a box in switzerland. then of course the set got a lot harder. plus lenny's actually done a remix of pillow lava as you surely know.

Reactions: ric
great tunes ric! always a climax when paul reynolds drops love is in the air! and of course age of love too :D

as for lenny dropping pillow lava, I think it could be possible. I know it came right at the start of the set, I have the set recorded on a cassette..it's somewhere hidden in a box in switzerland. then of course the set got a lot harder. plus lenny's actually done a remix of pillow lava as you surely know.

Of course i know (now)... :lol::lol:

I knew i'd heard of Aurora Borealis somewhere before though...

This was a big one with Coxy in '94... The breakdown is incredible!! One of my favourite tunes... Good memories! :D:D:D:D

Interactive - Koma... Played by Coxy in '94...

Cox played at a big event just down the road from my house in '94 and this was the stand-out track towards the end of the set... I was only 14yrs old a the time so never made it but the tape was hammered to death everyday on the school bus!!!

This was the full-on party set from that night...

:D:D:D:D

Here is s starter for ten -

Foals - Olympic Airways (Ewan Pearson Remix)

End of August 2010 and Sasha drops this as his last track at Ushuaia (I think he did this most weeks). It was the climax of one of my best early eve Ibiza sessions of all time.

The Braxtons - The Boss (MAW mix)

Roger Sanchez played this at Cream/Full On (all nighters) one Friday sometime in 1997, well before its release I remember. He had two identical acetates and was crossing over between the two and all sorts of trickery, doing live a live edit, lasting about 15 mins.

Im off to see chymera & drifter tonight so hopefully can report back here tomorrow :)

so how was it??

speaking of chymera, here's another one that used to be 'tune of the night' for me. flashback to 2007/08, when luciano was on top of his game and closed DC-10 terrace with this track lots of times...

Cream, Amnesia, 01/09/2011
Chris Lake - Only One

First trip to the island, (I've become a regular ever since), but this was the moment I fell in love. Trying to take in the bright lights of Cream and the sheer magnitude of Amnesia, a club I've built myself upto everyday in the lead up to the trip with regular website visits and YouTube videos.

A packed listing including Calvin Harris, Above & Beyond, Mat Zo and Sander van Doorn were on, but it was when Lake dropped this as the ice cannons of the terrace blasted that I knew Ibiza was to become a second home to me. I still look back on this track and this moment fondly to this day.

I'm not sure they use them for all nights...but music on and cocoon most definitely had the ice cannon working in the terrace.

Back