Our War - BBC3

Did I just hear that Obama is expected to announce on thursday that 30,000 troops will be removed from Afghanistan next year?

Yes,I think I did.

The training camp were there in Afghanistan and they have been dismantled.

Taking out some camp sites does an ideological victory not maketh

They have not solved anything, yet another country leaves afganistan unable to beat the locals and the ground is being prepared, at least in the media here for the deal that will be struck with the taliban.

The US was happy to fund the most vicious and dangerous elements of the mujahideen regardless of their ideology when it suited the agenda of the US president.

The training camps have simply moved, there can be no claims of victory by the west on this, thousands of lives lost and for what?

The US was happy to fund the most vicious and dangerous elements of the mujahideen regardless of their ideology when it suited the agenda of the US president.

The training camps have simply moved, there can be no claims of victory by the west on this, thousands of lives lost and for what?

If you were on the ground you would have seen a positive change in the Afghani lives. The people there are happy the Taliban are no longer in charge. Is it a victory no it is not, a positive step the people there think so. You can support the troop without being blinded by the political hubris.

If you were on the ground you would have seen a positive change in the Afghani lives. The people there are happy the Taliban are no longer in charge. Is it a victory no it is not, a positive step the people there think so. You can support the troop without being blinded by the political hubris.

Well said 8)

The US originally helped setup the Taliban. Had it not been for the various terrorist acts, the west would have not been in the slightest bit interested in 'improving the lot' of the Afghan people. It is not as though the Taliban were guilty of mass genocide.

(For the record, I donate regularly to the British Legion. It is shameful how injured and retired soldiers are treated by our government once they are no longer 'useful'.)

The Mujahideen did not sprout the Taliban. Read the following story, it is enlightening.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/28/afghanistan-mujahideen-taliban

Interesting article, Jay.

I was going back further when referring to the US helping setup the Taliban. I was being devils advocate, but CIA documents show the US supplied money and arms directly to Bin Laden at the time during and after the Afghan war with the Soviet army. Various documentaries have shown the Taliban (the extreme faction of the original mujahideen) would never have gained power post soviet war if the West had continued to fund the more liberal majahideen (as they had become).

This is my basic understanding of the history of the Taliban / Bin Laden / majahideen.

Interesting article, Jay.

I was going back further when referring to the US helping setup the Taliban. I was being devils advocate, but CIA documents show the US supplied money and arms directly to Bin Laden at the time during and after the Afghan war with the Soviet army. Various documentaries have shown the Taliban (the extreme faction of the original mujahideen) would never have gained power post soviet war if the West had continued to fund the more liberal majahideen (as they had become).

This is my basic understanding of the history of the Taliban / Bin Laden / majahideen.

The US did fund/supply/train the Mujaheddin and Bin Laden. As the article states the two are polar opposites and are not connected. The Taliban was a political theocratic movement that took hold in the absence of a strong central government. The Mujaheddin fought against the Taliban and lost, some of them because they were part of the population was folded into the Taliban.

Back