Opinionated DJs

grego

which have got something to say.......a message, an interest, a cause, are controversial, outspoken, etc, etc.

beyond the "i have a label, I DJ, i make some tracks......bla bla bla"

i'm thinking tim sheridan, jeff mills, seth troxler............any others

Tim Sheridan is a fantastic interviewee!

I've not been inspired by any others except Danny Rampling, Frankie Knuckles or anyone associated with the disco boom and birth of house.

what about your mate quentin, is he a tree hugger or anything?

olly, c'mon lad.....;)

I wouldn't say tree hugger no! Charmer yes! *swoon*

Nicky Holloway and Charlie Chester spring to mind as two people who are quite charismatic.

Charlie isn't a DJ tho admittedly.

LOVE Dave Beer but not sure he's outspoken in a political sense.

I wouldn't say tree hugger no! Charmer yes! *swoon*

Nicky Holloway and Charlie Chester spring to mind as two people who are quite charismatic.

Charlie isn't a DJ tho admittedly.

LOVE Dave Beer but not sure he's outspoken in a political sense.

so far, you've given me dave beer, nicky holloway, charlie chester, danny rampling, frankie knuckles..........next thing you'll be wearing shoulder pads and humming the theme tune to dallas you big 80s throwback ya!;):lol:

Jeff Mills playing The Roundhouse with Erol Alkan in May.

Jeff Mills "The Trip" (Axis/US)
www.axisrecords.com
A great lover of science fiction and experimental film from days gone by, as well as (of course) a techno pioneer and international star, for this “A Taste of Sónar” event Jeff Mills presents a special (and spatial!) show, featuring live mixing of a vast amount of scenes from science fiction films from the twenties to the seventies, with the same philosophy and approach he applies to his work at the mixing desk. It is an exciting journey across parallel galaxies and expanding universes. This show has only been performed previously in Paris, as part of the end of the French presidency of the European Union.

Erol Alkan presents Disco 3000 (UK)
www.erolalkan.co.uk
On his Disco 3000 podcast, Erol Alkan sets his sights on the disco music of yesterday, today and forever, brings it up to date and lets it shine anew under the mirror ball. The merit lies not only in the selection, but also in Erol’s tweaks to the tunes, which take disco to his own dimension and the concept of the mix a step further. It’s a wholesome and very intelligent piece of archaeology, which will captivate the more demanding ear in this exclusive live version.

back in the 90s, I used to read andrew weatherall and terry farley's music reviews in the dance press - very, very entertaining, acerbic, bile-filled commentary on the increasing sterility of UK dance music which made for great reading. weatherall's slot on heidi from phonica's R1 show the other week was next level comedy - completely showed her up when she said "I've never heard of Ten City. I play house and techno" :lol:

sheridan is very funny too - a great wit, although I think he is barking at times

some of the american jocks I find painfully earnest or hypocritical - when people like Louie Vega or green velvet get on their high horse about the UK/drugs, when they know full well the new york disco scene revolved around the white stuff is just cringeworthy.

then you have the drama queens - the likes of stacey pullen writing rants on their myspace page about being denied entry to clubs for wearing fedora hats. Entertaining but not really that insightful. Laurent Garnier likes to talk - MAN he likes to talk! - but who can remember anything original he ever said?

I think Moby is quite sincere in his hatred of the US right - but that didn't stop him sucking The Man's cock when whoring his records out

Mr C is quite politicised - although not read any of his blogs for ages - see also Mark Moore and Graeme Park who occasionally comment on stuff on trustthedj.com

For VERY funny anecdotes, I gotta recommend the Juan Maclean myspace blog - great stories from their tours. Of all the DFA crew, they have the great potential to cross over and their sense of humour does help. All the DFA stable are quite politicised - you're going to be when the mayor of your city has declared war on dance culture.

of all the big UK names that emerged from the 90s, only Norman Cook really still has a political sensibility - staunchly Labour and still active. Norman Jay is very establishment these days. The rest of the angry acid house generation who fought the CJA wars all grew up, became middle aged, in the case of irvine welsh started penning columns in the telegraph, or in the case of faith still passionately fly the underground hedonists' flag but without the energy and anger of 20 years ago.

hope that is of some use, grego ;)

Judge Jules, maybe? Admittedly, a decent DJ when he can be arsed and when he's not pissed out of his face, but I've never been able to warmed to the guy. Just seems so up himself.

thanks olly, the DFA angle i've been down already but is closer to what i'm after, looking for new, fresh, underground stuff ideally, so they fit the bill perfectly.

which have got something to say.......a message, an interest, a cause, are controversial, outspoken, etc, etc.

beyond the "i have a label, I DJ, i make some tracks......bla bla bla"

i'm thinking tim sheridan, jeff mills, seth troxler............any others

Richie Hawtin a couple of years ago when he stopped using physical decks and denounced anyone who did as 'playback dj's' :rolleyes:

Tenaglia not that long ago voicing his opinions on sets being recorded in clubs :lol: -

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1160040&postcount=13

Back