ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

I went to Gardens By the Bay in Singapore just last week. Hands up we took and used our own selfie stick. But it was crazy. It was full of vain Insta influencers and it ultimately ruined the day.
Every time you see the perfect photo by one of these cretins on social media, know that just out of shot there's a crowd of general public giving them daggers as they think the world revolves around them.

You lost me at selfie stick.

The thing that's really struck me whilst travelling is how much Instagram seems to have lead to ridiculous poses for pictures. Over the shoulder, looking into the distance, oh I can't believe you've caught me there sort of shot that's been taken and re-taken seventeen times.
I witness this on the bus..

The thing that's really struck me whilst travelling is how much Instagram seems to have lead to ridiculous poses for pictures. Over the shoulder, looking into the distance, oh I can't believe you've caught me there sort of shot that's been taken and re-taken seventeen times.
It’s the stupid leaning head, pouting lip poses that really piss me off. My missus was showing me the Instagram page of a friend of a friend the other day. Every single shot was like that. You’d never recognise her in the flesh. If I did meet her she’d have to tilt her head to give me any sort of chance.

kinda related but if you haven't yet seen it, the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix offers an extremely funny (but also pretty sad...) expose of insta-narcissism. the best programme I've watched in ages.
If you can get a hold of it, watch the Hulu one too. It came out a week earlier and actually has an interview with the guy.
Netflix's was better at giving you more of a feel of how it all went wrong from the inside. The Hulu gives a bit more background and context. The two are quite complimentary.

The whole role of Instagram "influencers" in that debacle (and pop culture in general) both amazes and frightens me. More of the latter!

It’s the “splayed fingers” holding of the phone mirror selfie that I can’t stand. See it all the time.

If you can get a hold of it, watch the Hulu one too. It came out a week earlier and actually has an interview with the guy.
Netflix's was better at giving you more of a feel of how it all went wrong from the inside. The Hulu gives a bit more background and context. The two are quite complimentary.

The whole role of Instagram "influencers" in that debacle (and pop culture in general) both amazes and frightens me. More of the latter!

Who's in?

Back