Oasis @ Heaton Park 2moro.

Jay82

Alright guys,

Anyone off to the Oasis and Kasabian gig tomorrow in Manchester? Should be a cracker, must say im looking forward to seeing Kasabian more, saw them at Glastonbury '07 and they are the best live band ive ever seen.

Seen Oasis twice before, great for a sing along and re-living your youth :D

Oasis according to what wikipedia should say

"inexplicably popular meat'n'veg pub rock band who found fame in the mid-90s by rehashing old Who and Sex Pistols chords and then singing 'deep and meaningful' verses about cannonballs and supernovas over them. Their better quotes include "The Chemical Brothers make dalek music" and "Bloc Party look like University Challenge students". Their contemporaries like Radiohead, Beta Band and Blur continued to innovate whilst Oasis entered the new millennium still adored by their loyal beer-swilling, chris evans-watching, ladmag demographic. And nobody else. Last seen making babies on Primrose Hill and being mocked by Jaz Z at Glastonbury"

Oasis according to what wikipedia should say

"inexplicably popular meat'n'veg pub rock band who found fame in the mid-90s by rehashing old Who and Sex Pistols chords and then singing 'deep and meaningful' verses about cannonballs and supernovas over them. Their better quotes include "The Chemical Brothers make dalek music" and "Bloc Party look like University Challenge students". Their contemporaries like Radiohead, Beta Band and Blur continued to innovate whilst Oasis entered the new millennium still adored by their loyal beer-swilling, chris evans-watching, ladmag demographic. And nobody else. Last seen making babies on Primrose Hill and being mocked by Jaz Z at Glastonbury"

get over yourself! not that i'd go myself, but nothing wrong with some tunes, outdoor and beer. some peoples thing music needs to constantly be this cutting edge, reinventing, renewing, almost intellectual pastime - when there is defo room for straight up choons.

I think it's revealing that oasis flopped in America - the yanks didn't fall for the hype like we did....

a lot of egg on a lot of music journalists' faces now - people who said the Gallaghers were poets and the future of music at the time..... where are they now?

they were very entertaining in interviews but the music was terrible

I think it's revealing that oasis flopped in America - the yanks didn't fall for the hype like we did....

a lot of egg on a lot of music journalists' faces now - people who said the Gallaghers were poets and the future of music at the time..... where are they now?

they were very entertaining in interviews but the music was terrible

defintely maybe - live forever, slide away - world class guitar music. and thats coming from a proper anal radiohead head.

ok a one trick pony, and the crowd at heaton will be grim but don't begrudge a man a sing along!

my flatmate sings in the bath to oasis

pretty disturbing :lol:

*with you on radiohead - although I like their early-90s stuff best - high n dry/planet telex still amazing tunes

my flatmate sings in the bath to oasis

pretty disturbing :lol:

*with you on radiohead - although I like their early-90s stuff best - high n dry/planet telex still amazing tunes

radiohead .... wunderband, gig in Manchester last year was unreal, came back for a 3rd encore, only time of tour & played Lucky (remembers & nearly weeps).

..... where are they now?

:lol: Making millions and still churning out good music!!!

where are you? sitting at your pc, making flagrant, generally offensive generalisations about everything and anything (some of which you clearly know a lot about, some of which you dont)

if you were at an early Oasis gig (like me) then the rawness and the buzz and the anger was both refreshing and breathtaking. Agreed old age, marriage, children and success has tempered that somewhat (indeed when your somewhat uncool older brother goes to see a band that you like, drinking wine in a comfy corporate box its time to look for the next big thing) however you either love em or hate em...and I love em. With Kasabian on the bill too playing songs from their stonking new album, should be a good gig!!!..................go on...........have a rant at Kasabian :rolleyes:

Radiohead.....Bends, OK computer seminal albums!!!!

:eek:

offensive?? how?

what for expressing an opinion on a band? or do we all have to agree on forums these days?

my main objection to oasis is that they were unoriginal and frauds and achieved massive success through obscene hype not talent.

:eek:

offensive?? how?

what for expressing an opinion on a band? or do we all have to agree on forums these days?

my main objection to oasis is that they were unoriginal and frauds and achieved massive success through obscene hype not talent.

:lol: chill fuzzy little manpeach!!!
Hyped - yes....but aren't all commercially successful bands?
Talented - definately, I can't write songs, play music and I would call anyone that can...talented

Nothing offensive bout what you said about Oasis, but sometimes some people (not me, takes a lot to offend me) may say you air on that side.........a bit!!

Maybe you need to bang someone......soon!!! ;)

Shirley most music is "unoriginal" these days. Everything has been done at some point and to be truly original takes some doing.

I have a lot of time for the early oasis albums. Yes that might of ripped off the Beatles but the Beatles ripped off R&B hits in their early days. Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery and all that.

:lol: chill fuzzy little manpeach!!!
Hyped - yes....but aren't all commercially successful bands?
Talented - definately, I can't write songs, play music and I would call anyone that can...talented

Nothing offensive bout what you said about Oasis, but sometimes some people (not me, takes a lot to offend me) may say you air on that side.........a bit!!

Maybe you need to bang someone......soon!!! ;)

I'm fine and so is my personal life, ta :) the internet doesn't always convey that tho...

robbie is right in that yes people rip off the people they looked up to growing up but the beatles were only influenced by rock n roll not blatant plagiarists. The Beatles made music nobody in history had ever made before and by 65/66 were on another planet altogether - I don't think it's a valid comparison

oasis never really did anything new - what was happening in dance music at the same time WAS new and what underworld, the chemical brothers, leftfield, aphex twin, carl craig, daft punk were doing was genuinely exciting.

of course, not everyone wants something new, I recognise that - but wasn't that point of pop music in the first place to be rebellious? to challenge your parents? or has everything been said and done?

Dont get me wrong the Beatles albums from Rubber Soul is some on the finest Music ever made by man. But they build their career on Rock and Roll standards such as Twist & Shout and Rollover Beethoven on their early Albums. And lets face it the Hype they generated set the bar for everything since.

Oasis for me anyways brought back good fun Rock and roll from the Grunge dominated sound of the 90's, which was great to listen to as an angry young man in your bedroom but not exactly music to sit in the pub with.

They might not have been as "new" as the dance band you mentioned, but the Underworld / chemical brothers etc where all heavily influenced by the electronic music from the 80's

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fine and so is my personal life, ta :) the internet doesn't always convey that tho...

robbie is right in that yes people rip off the people they looked up to growing up but the beatles were only influenced by rock n roll not blatant plagiarists. The Beatles made music nobody in history had ever made before and by 65/66 were on another planet altogether - I don't think it's a valid comparison

oasis never really did anything new - what was happening in dance music at the same time WAS new and what underworld, the chemical brothers, leftfield, aphex twin, carl craig, daft punk were doing was genuinely exciting.

of course, not everyone wants something new, I recognise that - but wasn't that point of pop music in the first place to be rebellious? to challenge your parents? or has everything been said and done?

Beatles were one of those bands that did take it to the next level. These days how do you be original? what is the definition. Most of the good music about these days is comparable to music of yesteryear. Elvis took the black music of the time, donned a pair of tight kecks, shook his hips and the rest is history. John lennon said before Elvis there was nothing...he was only half right there was great music out there but not accessable to the masses. Led Zepp basically took the R&B of the 50's and 60's and rocked it up, were they original? yes probably, were they plagiarists yes to that too. It's all plagiarism thats the beauty of it, you find new music through the music you like!

eg: hey I love the chemical brothers "setting sun" then you should listen to "tomorrow never knows" by the beatles....one of the first tracks ever with a looping drum beat!! then you start listening to the Beatles

ladyhawkwe - great album...ok check out pat bennetar and cyndi lauper

and i forgot what i was taking about now :D

Back