Nyc

If you aint been before, take a Bus Tour - from Times Sq - Downtown approx 1hr, helps to give you bearings to most of the city, can hop on/hop off - and damn cheaper than Cabs.

Brooklyn
Shopping down Greenwich Village end of town.
Avoid Times Sq... it Like Leicester Sq, minus the Pigeons, and the stench of piss (which is be found on any subway train).

Have a steak - we went to the Old Homestead... funking noisey as you like, with yanks yapping away...

Go up the Rockefeller Centre... 10x better view than from the Empire State (and of it!) - you can get tixs which allow you to go back up again, when it gets dark.

Just mooch, theres always something interesting round every corner!

When are you going? i can mail my friends to find out where to go clubwise, depending on what yr after... also Spacemonkey went with work, and knows where to shop! ;)

If you aint been before, take a Bus Tour - from Times Sq - Downtown approx 1hr, helps to give you bearings to most of the city, can hop on/hop off - and damn cheaper than Cabs.

Brooklyn
Avoid Times Sq... it Like Leicester Sq, minus the Pigeons, and the stench of piss (which is be found on any subway train).

Have a steak - we went to the Old Homestead... funking noisey as you like, with yanks yapping away...

Go up the Rockefeller Centre... 10x better view than from the Empire State (and of it!) - you can get tixs which allow you to go back up again, when it gets dark.

When are you going? i can mail my friends to find out where to go clubwise, depending on what yr after... also Spacemonkey went with work, and knows where to shop! ;)

She has one of the BEST jobs!

Brooklyn

Off in Feb (10th-16th)

I had originally planned to go to the 40th anniversary of the Loft but it's waaaay over subscribed (impossible to get near it even with some fairly solid connections). I can only imagine the throngs of industry people and original Loft members clamoring over each other for a ticket.

I was in New York for about a month in 2004 but things have changed a lot since then.

Avalon (formerly Limelight), Spirit (formerly Sound Factory/Twilo), Crobar and Plaid were all open and clubbing in Manhattan was do-able. However, I hear NYC is suddenly having another renaissance. The question is where?

Francois K does his Deep Space thing at Cielo (sp?) but sadly not when I'm there.

Where are all the squat/gritty/cutting edge things happening? I know nothing about the outer boroughs y'see.

...and tourist activities are out. I've done all that and bought all the t-shirts.

Restaurant recommendations welcome though!

Thanks! 8)

robert you swine!!

you're going in the middle of the unsound festival, so loads of interesting stuff going on.

http://unsound.pl/en/festival/program/schedule/unsound-festival-new-york

http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=8&v=week&mn=2&yr=2010&dy=10

here's a clubbing guide i wrote last year, http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/1630

i'd say head to brooklyn for the smaller, intimate parties with proper house and techno. there was a problem until recently with very over the top searches at any of the well known clubs, not sure what the situation is now. anyway, all the more reason to head to brooklyn (studio b and public assembley)

if you can latch onto the festival goings on, sure you'll be able to just follow the vibe.

have fun!!

robert you swine!!

you're going in the middle of the unsound festival, so loads of interesting stuff going on.

http://unsound.pl/en/festival/program/schedule/unsound-festival-new-york

http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=8&v=week&mn=2&yr=2010&dy=10

here's a clubbing guide i wrote last year, http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/1630

i'd say head to brooklyn for the smaller, intimate parties with proper house and techno. there was a problem until recently with very over the top searches at any of the well known clubs, not sure what the situation is now. anyway, all the more reason to head to brooklyn (studio b and public assembley)

if you can latch onto the festival goings on, sure you'll be able to just follow the vibe.

have fun!!

Aha! That's the RIGHT answer Grego - what a wonderful fluke. 8)

Cheers!

Rob, there's a place called 'The Back Room' on the Lower East Side, that operates like a 'speakeasy'. Beers served in brown bags and spirits in cups and saucers, entry through a nondescript yard.

Recommend here for food http://www.taorestaurant.com/

If you get a chance have a snoop in The Crosby Street Hotel and report back. A mate does their PR.

Definitely have a look at the WTC Memorial Centre. Compelling though disturbing.

For food - I had the most surreal experience...

We went to a restaurant called Bagatelle (work group)

When we arrived it was a posh french bistro place - amazing food, nice cutlery etc, slightly older clientele, background 70's disco, nothing amazing but obvioulsy a nice place. the guy who took us said.."you wait till later this place gets CRAZY" said in typical NY fashion of course.... I was like "yeah right whatever" at this point

As the night wore on (around dessert time!) the music cranked up and i notivced lots of model/rich/ eurotrash types had arrived and were congregting around the bar area

The music was cranked up to some serious Studio 54 style stuff and dancing at the tables/on the tables commenced, incdluding the "older" clientele

It was seriously amazing, the place felt like a throwback to some louche South of France place... which i think is the idea. I went on a Tuesday night, apparently Sunday Brunch is totally bokers there.

It may not be your cup of tea but i think it was the best place i have ever been for the comedy value alone, let alone dancing to Gloria Gaynor on a table with my new boss!!

Rob, there's a place called 'The Back Room' on the Lower East Side, that operates like a 'speakeasy'. Beers served in brown bags and spirits in cups and saucers, entry through a nondescript yard.

Recommend here for food http://www.taorestaurant.com/

If you get a chance have a snoop in The Crosby Street Hotel and report back. A mate does their PR.

Definitely have a look at the WTC Memorial Centre. Compelling though disturbing.

Crosby Street Hotel amazingly posh/borderline snotty
They wouldnt let me and one of my work suppliers in for lunch although they were obviously empty
Maybe because we looked like a couple of bag ladies with the amount of shopping we had, but she did have a Prada duvet coat on too...!!!!

Not the best PR lol

oh I FORGOT!!!

Go over to Williamsburgh it is the best best place for shopping and great atmospehere

There are lots of small boutiques /designy shops and vintage (not sure if thats yr thing Robder!) plus cool coffee shops, veggy restaurants, and its really interesting feels like Brick Lane/East End sort of!

You can get really good local maps if you go into the shops and ask about, i think the best shops are in triangle between Grand Street, N3rd Street and Leonard Street. Doesnt open until noon.

All the breweries over there make the air smell like malt which is really nice too:lol::lol:

I loved the Kid Robot shop in front of the Apple Store at Soho.

And you have and email from my friend in brooklin :D

Crosby Street Hotel amazingly posh/borderline snotty
They wouldnt let me and one of my work suppliers in for lunch although they were obviously empty
Maybe because we looked like a couple of bag ladies with the amount of shopping we had, but she did have a Prada duvet coat on too...!!!!

Not the best PR lol

:lol: Oops!

Back