Notting Hill carnival

Ferd

do any of the london people know if the Pineapple Tribe soundsystem is any good? I've been reading its techno and breaks.

Always done Sancho Panza and probably will do again, but wouldnt mind checking out others

My mates are throwing a secret (or not so secret seeing as its outdoors) Carnival party on the sunday night. It will be right by where Good Times soundsystem is . They got Funktion 1 soundsystem and party will be both indoors n outdoors from 5pm. Hopefully I'll be djing if i make it back from the airport on time.heres the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=35626155861&ref=mf

In answer to your question i saw a video of that soundsystem on the carnival website , looked pretty good!

The days of the existing street carnival are numbered. It's a shame, but after all the trouble in recent years it'll get moved to Hyde Park. The narrow streets are too difficult to police and after last night's rioting I'd say the wheels are already in motion.

I saw a huge number of arrests walking home last night and lost count of the number of police vans driving past. You could argue that the heavy police presence acts as a catalyst, but when you have gangs of 150+ heading into the area there isn't much of an option.

The days of the existing street carnival are numbered. It's a shame, but after all the trouble in recent years it'll get moved to Hyde Park. The narrow streets are too difficult to police and after last night's rioting I'd say the wheels are already in motion.

I saw a huge number of arrests walking home last night and lost count of the number of police vans driving past. You could argue that the heavy police presence acts as a catalyst, but when you have gangs of 150+ heading into the area there isn't much of an option.

Read about that in the Standard! Didn't see any trouble myself!

After the SW4 shenanigans i didnt make it out :oops:

Glad you had a good time. What time did it finish? Who was suprise DJ at the Sancho Panza tent..? please dont say Layo & Bush again

Did any sw4 goers make it?

Hope it wasn't layo and bushwacka, I wasn't impressed with them at SW4

sacked it off this year, but still think it would be criminal if it gets exiled to a park - all because a few Tory housewives can't handle a bit of colour on their doorstep

the coppers don't help themselves either - they draft in rozzers from the sticks who've no idea how to handle the situation... and that is petrol on fire

it is true it can get edgy on the monday afternoon but that isn't reason to cancel the whole event.

Norm is a living institution and would trully gutted if things moved from East Row

there's enough foregttable events going on the parks every summer (lovebox, anyone?) let's keep the party in the streets - the Europeans can do it, why can't we??

After the SW4 shenanigans i didnt make it out :oops:

Glad you had a good time. What time did it finish? Who was suprise DJ at the Sancho Panza tent..? please dont say Layo & Bush again

It finished around 7 pm. And yes, the surprise dj was Bushwacka :lol:

I made it to both SW4 and the carnival, I'm so proud of myself! 8) ;)

Some interesting vids of the "riot" on youtube. A certain young chap called Leroy seems to be having a whale of a time. I think the word riot is far too strong. It was a gang of 40/50 kids standing around throwing bottles. The fact it took literally 100s of police officers nearly 2 hours to control this situation is nothing short of pathetic. Totally ill-equipped to handle such a situation.

Looking at those videos, it seems that properly dressed riots coppers weren't initially deployed and that's allowed the situation to continue/escalate. Police wearing no protection can't be expected to deal with missiles unless they can retaliate in kind so the SPG/TSG or whatever they're called these days should have been sent in first.

Looking at those videos, it seems that properly dressed riots coppers weren't initially deployed and that's allowed the situation to continue/escalate. Police wearing no protection can't be expected to deal with missiles unless they can retaliate in kind so the SPG/TSG or whatever they're called these days should have been sent in first.

Yep... agreed. I don't blame the individual officers at all. A tit head and truncheon may have served well in the early 1900s, but is certainly of no use now. Armed officers & a zero tolerance attitude is what we need.

Incidentally... how many police officers do you need to arrest 150 kids heading to the carnival from Kennington?

Answer: ONE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND TWENTY.

Back