No cameras allowed at Privilege, why?

Jackie78

Hello,

I visited Ibiza for the first time last week, and went to a lot of different clubs, also Tiesto at Privilege. I had pre-ordered tickets here at Ibiza Spotlights, and was able to enter with them, but the guy at the entrance told me no digital cameras were allowed due to "copyright reasons". I had to leave my digital camera (really small ixus digital photo camera) at the club store, and even pay 3 Euros for deposit fees.

i have some questions:
- why is Privilege obviously the only club (I was at Space, Amnesia, Pacha, and some smaller clubs) that takes visiors digital cameras away at the entrance?
- Why is that fact not noted BEFORE buying tickets? Why is it not in the information you receive when you buy the tickets online?
- when I was in the club, I counted about 30 persons who somehow managed to bring their digital aameras into the club anyway, and were making photos and videos (and I did not count the poeple with mobile phone cameras, only real digital cameras). How did they manage to enter with their digital equipment, while I failed?

I am really disappointed, because when I go to a club on a holiday, I usually make photos to share with my people at home. Had I known before that there was a non-photo regulation there, I would not have visted the club.

It's just your luck - Amnesia Privilege and Space all have the no camera rule but Space don't seem to bother any more once your in the club.

Amnesia also have lockers for cameras.

The people you counted with cameras got them in by stashing them where the bouncers couldn't look ;)

If you get past them you should be fine, but I still wouldn't go waving it about in front of security when in the club.

-I would imagine its part of Tiesto's DJ contract not to have his sets recorded by joe public therefore joe public won't be able to take in digital cameras that can record.

-Its a pretty well known fact that you can't take cameras in the clubs esp Privilege (this forum is testament to that) so is it really necessary to print that fact on a ticket??? Might I suggest a little research maybe???

-Maybe professional photographers/island photographers (the island community is quite small so maybe they're known on the door).

PS. I would imagine the logistics of taking the mobiles off everyone inside privilege would be a bit of a nightmare and therefore practically impossible...

-Its a pretty well known fact that you can't take cameras in the clubs esp Privilege (this forum is testament to that) so is it really necessary to print that fact on a ticket??? Might I suggest a little research maybe???

Not all the people who buy tickets do read the forums. But they read the facts in the ticketshop, so this is the suitable place to clearly point out the facts, like the other requirements (photo-ID, credit-card bringing, etc.) Forums are nice, but optional, and it is impossible to read every tiny fact there. I have read a lot topics in forums about various clubbing topics, but nothing about a bagatelle like bringing a small digicam. Seriously, it never ever came to my mind that this might be forbidden in any club at all. I personally have visited a lot of clubs all over Europe this year, this is the first time I had problems bringing a camera in.

-Maybe professional photographers/island photographers (the island community is quite small so maybe they're known on the door).
Probable, but unlikely, they didn't look anything like that. I rather guess they had a good place to hide their cameras.

PS. I would imagine the logistics of taking the mobiles off everyone inside privilege would be a bit of a nightmare and therefore practically impossible...
Okay, but when we think that many modern mobile phones produce images and videos in a quality comparable to digital pocket cameras (we are not talking about DSLR cameras here), then it is simply unfair to have people deposit their cameras, but let the mobile-phone photographers go, only because there are too many of them. If they really fear copyright issues, then one smuggled camera or one mobile phone by the wrong person is sufficient to show it all to the whole world. But in fact, I don't understand their fussy concerns, the videos on youtube and elsewhere on the internet are free promotion, who loses money when they exist?

Another point that came to my mind when I was inside the club is, that it is really hypocritical to mess with the camera owners, but leave the drugdealers unoffended. Seriously, I was offered pills by six or seven different persons, some tried it over and over again although I clearly rejected their offers, it was really annoying. In one occasion, a security guy was standing right next to us, clearly seeing what was going on, and doing nothing against that. But that's another topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I visited Ibiza for the first time last week, and went to a lot of different clubs, also Tiesto at Privilege. I had pre-ordered tickets here at Ibiza Spotlights, and was able to enter with them, but the guy at the entrance told me no digital cameras were allowed due to "copyright reasons". I had to leave my digital camera (really small ixus digital photo camera) at the club store, and even pay 3 Euros for deposit fees.

i have some questions:
- why is Privilege obviously the only club (I was at Space, Amnesia, Pacha, and some smaller clubs) that takes visiors digital cameras away at the entrance?
- Why is that fact not noted BEFORE buying tickets? Why is it not in the information you receive when you buy the tickets online?
- when I was in the club, I counted about 30 persons who somehow managed to bring their digital aameras into the club anyway, and were making photos and videos (and I did not count the poeple with mobile phone cameras, only real digital cameras). How did they manage to enter with their digital equipment, while I failed?

I am really disappointed, because when I go to a club on a holiday, I usually make photos to share with my people at home. Had I known before that there was a non-photo regulation there, I would not have visted the club.

not every person gets searched hence a fair amount of cameras make it inside. i typically put mine in my back pocket and they will only find it if they frisk me. at Amnesia last time we had a VIP table so we walked in without a pat down.

the toughest places currently to get one in are Amnesia and Privilege. Pacha doesn't care... Space is more lax about it than before per posts on this message board.

i've asked about the no-camera rule before, and I've been told its so the djs don't constantly see flashing lights in their eyes. I call BS on that reason (think of all of the strobe lights, etc. in the club) but i've heard it more than once at more than one venue so who knows.

this policy has been going on for as long as i've been going to Ibiza (1996) so its nothing new or related to a specific dj.

Just put it in your kecks and you'll get it in fine, (unless its a polaroid!)

And as long as you don't stand next to security in the club snapping away, you'll have no problems.

Just put it in your kecks and you'll get it in fine, (unless its a polaroid!)

And as long as you don't stand next to security in the club snapping away, you'll have no problems.

Thank's I'll try that next time I'm to Ibiza (and I will travel there again for sure) :)

The reason that the clubs take your camera is that they charge quiet a hefty fee for any commercial footage shot in the club.

If I am a producer of a TV Documentary and I have paid 2000 for the right to exclusive footage of a particular night, I will expect not to see it appearing anywhere else. If it does, its a breach of contract.

The product that the Club is offering is much more valuable if its exclusive, therefore clubs will always try to limit all professional footage.

It all depends on who's shooting the footage. A professional cameraman can shoot broadcast quality media on most good quality DV's. Amature stuff is not much a worry to them.

So clubs have taken the easy option and restricted all use of cameras in certain clubs rather than trying to identify the professional players.

the main reason that hasn't been mentioned so far is that the clubs don't want joe public to have the possibility of recording/photographing something that could get them in trouble, if you know what i mean.

also, don't ever try and apply 'normal' logic to ibiza clubs and how they are run, you'll only end up more confused and frustrated. with regard to cameras, that is just the way it is.....

Had I known before that there was a non-photo regulation there, I would not have visted the club.

FINALLY, are you really telling me that you wouldn't have gone..........seriously??!! i was about to begin to counter your point, but i could go for days. suffice to say that when photos of the event become more important than experiencing the event itself, you need to give yourself a talking to.

Last edited by a moderator:
FINALLY, are you really telling me that you wouldn't have gone..........seriously??!! i was about to begin to counter your point, but i could go for days. suffice to say that when photos of the event become more important than experiencing the event itself, you need to give yourself a talking to.
Amen to that.

I've got one of the smallest Sony digital cameras available, but I don't even bother trying to sneak it into the clubs if I think it'll be problematic. If it's a good night out, I'll remember it well enough. :D

I agree. Every year, during the winter, my biggest regreats is that I did not take photos. I went so far as buying a really good camera at duty free in Dubai this year but did not get time to unrap it until after Ibiza as I was occupied with some other activities:eek:

I agree. Every year, during the winter, my biggest regreats is that I did not take photos. I went so far as buying a really good camera at duty free in Dubai this year but did not get time to unrap it until after Ibiza as I was occupied with some other activities:eek:

Don't get me wrong - of course I visit clubs to do some.... well, clubbing ;) But when I travel Ibiza, it's something really special for me, I cannot afford that too often in my lifetime, and clubnights are long so there is always a minute or two to take some photos as souvenir without missing too much. So for me, taking some photos to share with my people at home after a beautiful holiday is just a matter of course, and if I get to chose between good clubs that are cool enough to allow it (which is the case with 99% of all clubs I have visited so far) and those that don't, then my choice is clear. I am not a video pirate, I am not even going to post stuff on youtube, and even the people who do are perfectly okay for me, I personally decided to visit Ibiza after I saw some really cool vids on Youtube that were not made by professional teams :)

Bottom line is, hide your camera good when entering da clubs n take pics cautiously. As mentioned by the rest, Privilege & Amnesia apply rather stiff rules re: camera. My friend's cam n few other ppl was taken away by the security while taking pic @ Amnesia.

I was lucky to manage taking pics/clips bluntly @ Privilege n Amnesia without any probs on my previous visits (didn't know about the rules then). I was on VIP lists for both clubs several times, n I noticed they didn't even bother to check or take away the cam even when they c u taking pics.

Go for the closing parties. The security is very slack by then and so is the police. Bags might get searched briefly but I guess that just to make sure that large quantity of drugs don't slip in and making sure no drinks get in so they can become stinking rich every time you get thirsty. Went to Cocoon, We love ... and Monza closing party and in none of them I was searched and my lady friend's bag only got searched once.

I was told about 20 years ago that the reason they didn't let cameras in VIP at Amnesia was so as the owner and other VIPs wouldn't get caught out being naughty with hot chicks. Sounded plausable to me (a wet behind the ears 15 year old raver)

Back