NME top 50 albums of the decade

Olly

No longer active
[basically, if you're not an anorexic student smackhead, not too much here to get your teeth into]

1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket
3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
6. PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows
11. At The Drive In - Relationship Of Command
12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound Of Silver
13. The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
14. Radiohead - Kid A
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free
17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
18. The White Stripes - Elephant
19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
20. Blur - Think Tank
21. The Coral - The Coral
22. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
23. Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
24. The Libertines - The Libertines
25. Rapture - Echoes
26. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
27. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
29. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World
30. Elbow - Asleep In The Back
31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
35. Babyshambles - Down In Albion
36. Spirtualized - Let it Come Down
37. The Knife - Silent Shout
38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
40. Ryan Adams - Gold
41. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
43. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
44. Outkast - Loveboxxx/The Love Below
45. Avalanches - Since I Left You
46. Delgados - The Great Eastern
47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco
48. Walkmen - Bows and Arrows
49. Muse - Absolution
50. MIA - Arular

Johnny Cash sticks out like a sore thumb at 28!!!

Where did that curve ball come from :rolleyes:

Reminds them of their Dads or something???

in fairness, the chart could've been a whole lot worse

at least people acknolwedged the genius of the lcd soundsystem (albeit their weakest album!) who produced one of my top ten singles of the decade 'losing my edge'

on similar tip, quite liked the rapture - that whole punk-funk sound sounded so fresh in 2001/02

and hey ya was loved by everyone wasn't it - so a worthy placing for outkast too

most of it though - utter dross.

Surprised to see Eminem missing.

Surely the Marshal Mathews album was groundbreaking.

thats about you isnt it?? :lol:

not quite

Murphy's talking about people who are constantly desperate to jump on different bandwagons, whereas I tend to stay on the same bandwagon even if it's hurtling over a cliff

Watched the 2006 world cup final in some boozer off warren street. Every time Italy won a free kick or had a shot, their fans would start hum-chanting seventh nation army. uuuuuh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uhhhhhhhhh-uhhhh (was cowering in a foetal position in the corner hands over head, pleading with them to stop by the end)

isn't this exactly what you'd get from readers of a mag about that kind of music? i've no doubt nme readers would be just as scathing about the top 50 choons of all time as voted by spotlight forum members or the top 50 jazz tracks of all time as voted for by me.

agree with the strokes album, a classic, notable absentees:

doves, badly drawn boy, kasabian, zutons, les rythm digitale

all of whom have released some of the best albums of the last 10 years!!

isn't this exactly what you'd get from readers of a mag about that kind of music? i've no doubt nme readers would be just as scathing about the top 50 choons of all time as voted by spotlight forum members or the top 50 jazz tracks of all time as voted for by me.

so nobody on here likes pop/rock/indie/guitar music and we only like dance music??

not I.

so nobody on here likes pop/rock/indie/guitar music and we only like dance music??

not I.

But Stephen is correct in that NME is quite a pedestrian guitary magazine when it comes to this sort of chart.

It's comparable to the DJ mag top 100 really ain't it?

There's no place for snobbery or discernment here really.

non such from me, my taste i as broad as it is eclectic, if I like it, then i buy it, I have no fear of being called for buying a certain artists music, hence why you will find girls aloun next to gorillas, and britney next to beatles on my ipod!!:p

I only put up the chart for people to throw rotten cabbages at - as gratuitous bitching when done well can be highly entertaining

if anyone wants to start a "spotlight on the noughties" thread, I'm sure the results would be very different

I think the point of detractors of the list in this thread, which you and Stephen have missed, is not that we don't like the kind of music NME covers. Many here do. I listen to quite a lot of rock.

Most here are capable of determining our own Best of the Decade list. NME's just varies widely from that list. Not snobbery, but rather a different idea for what qualifies albums to top such lists.

Then again, I'd struggle to put together a 50 best. I'm not sure there are 50 albums I've really loved in the past 10 years.

non such from me, my taste i as broad as it is eclectic, if I like it, then i buy it, I have no fear of being called for buying a certain artists music, hence why you will find girls aloun next to gorillas, and britney next to beatles on my ipod!!:p

Me too got to love the variety on an Ipod shuffle! 8)

Back