NIE nightmare

Hopefully our private health care docs will be with us in the next day or two and we can progress with the NIE. I cannot remember ever seeing any sterner looking policemen than the guys dealing with the NIE in Ibiza town, they make you nervous just sitting around waiting!

Ole:D

Finally sorted (well 50% of the household), got our nie today. Unfortunately the rules have changed back to the old rules (for children) since our initial visit in September! An official translation of the children's birth certificate is required again.

Hoorah!!!

For those of us who's children were born here in Spain, at what age do kids need an NIE, cos when we tried to get one for our son just after he was born (on the mainland) we were told he didn't need one, but from what I remember the longer you leave it, the longer you then have to wait for a DNI number for them when they're older......

Do we just go to the Police Station and ask for an NIE for him (we've both got NIE's and residencia's etc for Ibiza), obviously taking along all the usual paperwork/copies? Any info would be welcome.... was thinking that since it's gone quiet now for NIE's (now the summer workers have all but gone) it would be a good time to try.....

Also, does our son have to be with us when we go for his NIE? Or can we get it for him in his absence (while he's at school) cos he can't sign anything (he's only 4!) :rolleyes:

Ok. So can someone put the record straight. Can I come over in early May and get an NIE before I have a contract? If so, what do I need to take with me to get it and where is the police station in Ibiza town?

Thanks in advance x

The Police Station is on the "ring road" just outside Ibiza Town, close to a football ground, Bowling place and McDonalds!

Ok. So can someone put the record straight. Can I come over in early May and get an NIE before I have a contract? If so, what do I need to take with me to get it and where is the police station in Ibiza town?

Thanks in advance x

Same question as Wilko please. I'm coming over to work the summer and would like to sort my NIE before having a contract if possible. Where can we contact a Gestor to sort it for us if required?

thanks

Stephen i've had my NIE for 2 years, I always understood it only lasted for 5 years. Take it i'm wrong?

I've had my NIE for 8 years now and am still using it for various things. Your NIE is the Spanish Equivalent of the UK National Insurance Number, it's yours for life.... even if you leave Spain and go back again, as long as you've still got a record of your NIE number the system will still have a record of you!!! (ie as long as you know your number (or have the bit of paper with it on) they can trace you in their system)... I would imagine if you forget your number you'll have a lot of rigmarole to go through to find what it was.....

A couple of my friends had lost their green nie certificates but had a copy of the actual number and when they went to get another copy the police in the station said they needed to repeat the whole process again.

Back