New York, New Pacha, New Pix this way

Opening December 9, according to the latest release.

PACHA_10x7_OUTSIDE.jpg

Guestlist tickets to be won.

www.pachanyc.com

Saturday 31st December - Carl Cox.

In related news, the Village Voice's Tricia Romano predicts the end of fun in New York after raids on bars.

"Faster than you can say "I'm on the list," the freewheeling fun granted to the city's bars for the past few years seems to be over. On November 12, a combination of police, fire, and health and buildings inspectors (the dreaded MARCH—Multi-Agency Response to Community Hotspots) raided eight bars around the East Village, issuing 79 violations to six of them: Babel, Horus, Sutra, the Library, Rififi (Cinema Classics), and Rue B; Remote and Bar None escaped unticketed. Ninth Precinct police also visited No. 1 Chinese on Avenue B and Sophie's on East 5th Street on November 12, and Scenic on Avenue B on November 19. And, as predicted here, the dreaded cabaret law is back. Rififi was cited for operating as an unlicensed cabaret.

"The MARCH squad arrived at the Library at 2 a.m., peak bar time, and stayed for an hour while turning on the lights, turning down the music, carding all the patrons, and issuing 16 tickets. The task force cited the venue for minor offenses such as lacking soap in the soap dispenser, as well as for a more serious problem—overcrowding. Nick Bodor, one of the Library's business partners, says the task force was "very disruptive to business. They effectively shut us down at 2 a.m." Because as everyone knows, nothing says "crazy party" like 30 uniformed officers in a bar."

Article continues here: http://villagevoice.com/nyclife/0548,romano,70486,15.html

Jonty Skrufff reports however that Pacha NYC is less likely to be affected:

"Nightlife columnist Matt Kalkhoff, who reports primarily on Manhattan's gay scene, shared the Voice's concerns that the raids could be 'a sign that another Giuliani-style anti-nightlife crusade is looming', though also suggested the raids could be a cyclical thing. He also remained upbeat about Pacha's imminent opening, telling Skrufff he expects it to be unaffected by the latest crackdown (not least because the mid town club is based in a different cops' precinct to the one affected by the latest raids).

"There's definitely a major buzz about Pacha," said Matt.

" I think it's definitely going to be the biggest opening night party this town has seen since Crobar's three years ago."

Sorry but having women in showers inside of a club is just cheesey.
NYC is a flop these days. Overpriced and no quality.
Vive le Montreal!

I went to the private opening wednesday....
It is very nice....Everything is new and fresh from the days when it used to be the soundfactory. They have a bunch of little kinks to work out like any new club would, but it was a great night Little Louie vega rocked the place! Todd Terry was ok and we didnt stay for Tongy.

The showers are actually pretty cool despite the cheese factor. they havehuge red lights over top of them which give a cool glow to the shower. The costumes and perfromances are truly representative of the club in ibiza, top notch!

Looking forward to the public opening tonite with some dood morillo...gonna be a fun one!

I heard that they had to shut down at 2AM last night - NYPD raided the place. Lights came up, 2000 people were told to leave, mad rush for the coatcheck. Can anyone who went give a rundown as to what exactly happened? Doesn't sound like a very good opening night.

I remember New Year's Eve when Crobar first opened - overcrowded, too loud, and then someone pulls the fire alarm - firemen rushed the place and the lights came up. The party eventually continued but it was enough to put me off until a friend got his own night there, and I didn't have to pay a penny for the nonsense of a megaclub in NYC.

Also from Tricia Romano's Fly Life column in Village Voice:

It's as if there's a parallel universe in clubland. On Wednesday, Erick Morillo's uptown baby Pacha had its grand unveiling, with a mob scene of a few hundred people braving ice-cold temperatures to get in.

Inside was just as crowded. Half-naked girls in the cheesy shower stalls aside, Pacha is a Big Club with a Big Attitude. Louie Vega helmed the decks, and if his set was dusty, it also made me nostalgic. Complete with Kevin Aviance watching the geisha go-go girls, the night recalled Twilo's heyday, when eye candy matching the ear candy justified clubs' hefty cover charges. If Pacha were a movie star, she'd be Olivia Newton-John's character in Grease's last scene, wearing tight black satin pants and red high heels—and the cigarette she'd be stomping on would be Crobar, Avalon, and Spirit all at the same time. Splat. There goes the competition.

Hanging at Pacha you'd never know that below 14th Street, the battle between the residents, bars, and police had just been amped up another notch. The weekend of December 2, to hear one witness tell it, Avenue B looked like a zoo. Police trotted up and down the block on horses, a giant police van parked outside Le Souk, and the men in blue set up a checkpoint, carding drivers. One witness counted 16 or so cops between East 3rd and East 2nd.

Back