New Spotlight Logo

Morbyd

logo_header_black.png

Hmm... definitely looks more modern.
Lacks that reference to the island that the old logo had.
Still... I think it could grow on me.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the old version for some reason still - but its showing loads of data as well as the heading - weird

was a complicated upload this morning. new templates everywhere on the site, logo replacements, completely new clubbing section. still several bugs to fix :)

Not easy to see against the background at the top of the page.

Also, why is the blue sea above the yellow/orange sun? Would it not have been better the other way up?

Or is my colour blindness playing havoc here?

blue sky, yellow sand. they are also two ovals (two spotlights) with the S casting a shadow

we wanted a logo which would work as a standalone without text. when you reduced the last logo to mini size (e.g. facebook snippet size) it was impossible to read. plus the pastels were really a bit dated - not surprising when you consider that it was 35 years old :)

the new one will reinforce the spotlight brand - we shall be using it everywhere. hopefully you'll see it around the island a bit more this year ;)

Design is about communication, and if a piece of design does not communicate then it is useless. The new logo isn't great. Using the 'S' as negative space has no logic, apart from the designer maybe ran out of ideas. The apparent use of blue for the sky and yellow for the sand is too abstract, and don't get me started on that type!

Maybe submit it for a PC Repair company to use?

Good afternoon everyone :)

hi eivissa lad,

we wanted abstract. you are not going to communicate anything about our brand in a 1cm square logo. that's not the point. we wanted strong, summer colours and easy recognition. there's nothing communicative about most of the top logos in use on the web today:

think facebook, google, blogger, digg, wordpress, linked in. or even traditional top brands like mcdonalds, adidas, nike, etc. they have symbols which we now associate with those brands, nothing more.

i am not in my wildest dreams comparing ourselves to them - this is just how we were influenced in the route we took ;)

it is a definite improvement

however, the spotlight forums banner at the top still looks quite dated - the colour/fonts need to be sharpened up - currently looks like a throwback to tv-am or eldorado

hmmmm.

Has potential to become embedded in ones mind like the pacha cherries..........maybe.

One hopes it was a tad cheaper than the 2012 olympics logo??

:D:D:D

Loving the feedback. el dorado!! Haha

Those colours have disappeared from most of the nightlife/clubbing parts of the site. So the clash at the top won't happen there.

As for the logo. The old one wasn't really a logo, it was a pretty (!!) picture so it's the first proper spotlight logo that attempts to symbolise a brand, as the other one was was impractical in that sense.

35 years was a pretty good innings for the old one, but basically Shane warne was needed to come and topple leg stump with a googly.

was a complicated upload this morning. new templates everywhere on the site, logo replacements, completely new clubbing section. still several bugs to fix :)
Ah, that explains it.
I tried to PM you (ended up sending it to Grego) as the news story links at the top of the page expanded from 2 to 30 and took up the whole page! Looks fixed now.

The new clubbing section layout looks good. 8)

Quite like the new look (but what would I know about design) . Are you doing the same for Mallorca & Benidorm?

its weird its like one of those 3d puzzle things. When I first look at it I cant see the S at all , just some obscure blue and yellow shapes , then after a while I can see the S

its weird its like one of those 3d puzzle things. When I first look at it I cant see the S at all , just some obscure blue and yellow shapes , then after a while I can see the S

That's exactly what I thought - but I can see it now :) magic eye logo lol

Its not loading correctly on the main page for me, getting a grey box behind it... unless thats part of the design too?

Anyway, I don' think it really matters all that much. I can't think people are going to be drawn here by a logo. They are drawn by the wealth of information here, recomendations, word of mouth, google etc.

All working and fully functioning now - the club section and the little video links are good - really easy to navigate - had a little chill run up my spine watching one of the videos....

Back