New desktop or repair

Minxy

Just wondering if any techies could advise me about my pc pretty please??

It's ten years old and totally doing my head right in !!
It's as slow as a snail and such a pain to use I end up using my mobile most of the time - but for some things I just gotta use the pc

Do I take it in for an upgrade of some sort?
Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new desktop? If so what spec is recommended
I basically use my pc for Internet, emails, photos, music and office type word pro

Thanks a million xxx

I'd go for a new PC from DELL. Get a cheap, bargainy one - they all eventually go out of date anyway and it doesn't look like you use your PC for anything too taxing.

Get Wi Fi at home and buy a laptop.
£400 will get you one sufficient do everything.
Then you can use it anywhere in the house and also if you are travelling.
Defo do not bother trying to upgrade your existing one as something will go wrong soon and you will end up spending more.
Always useful to have an external hard drive if you have lots of music, films or photos. You can get ones with a huge amount of memory for about £70 these days.
Dell is ok...or just check what deals are going in somewhere like Staples or Argos, I have a Toshiba and a Samsung both of which are fine.

get a laptop from ebuyer

try them out in currys or pc world to get a feel for what your buying then go online and find a good price

you'll get a decent laptop for not too much cash

If your computer is 10 years old then your motherboard (its nerve center) will not be compatible with the latest processors (brains of the computer). In other words, you won't be able to upgrade it in any meaningful way.

The guys are right in saying that laptop prices are down enough that you can get similar power to what you'd get in a desktop for similar pricing. Definitely the way to go.

My primary computer is a laptop that rarely moves from my desk, with speakers and wireless mouse plugged in. But it is mobile for those times when I want to curl up in bed and surf the net. (I stopped using it during travel when I bought a separate, smaller one)

Go for something with a Core i7 processor - that's the top of the line at the moment so you'll future-proof yourself a little bit by spending for it now. I got my current laptop with Core i7 two years ago and it's still as fast as most computers out there. I usually upgrade every 2 years but this coming Christmas will be the first time in over a decade when I haven't done that.

i7s maybe a bit ott, you'd struggle to get one under £700.

you can get an i5 laptop for about 400-450 quid though

True, but the better processor you get now, the further down the road it'll be when you find yourself going "damn, this computer is slow." Software and websites get increasingly complicated.

Laptop is the way forward, get one with at least a dual core processor and windows 7. If you don't need the latest tech get a slightly older model and save cash

How much are you willing to spend?

Could probably put you together a basic put decent PC for about £350. Maybe cheaper if I properly look in to it.

Depends on usage for me.

Prefer a laptop if I'm just browsing the web in front of the TV.
If I'm gaming, playing around with ableton / FL Studio or what not, prefer my desktop (but that's because it's an absolute monster)

Mouse / Keyboard all the way ;)

Xbox broke at any rate, no more console gaming for me!

Am I the only person with an aversion to laptops? The control pad annoys me, and the teeny weeny screen. :confused:

I've got my laptop, desktop and xbox hooked up to a Phillips 1080p 24" monitor I got off ebuyer for £150. Laptops are much handier. I'm trying to keep my new i5 clean for using only for things like Traktor, Ableton and some other stuff. My ancient but trusty desktop is the machine I use for 'adult pursuits' if you get my drift.

Oh thanking you all soo much :)
Tho have to confess that most of what uve said is like a foreign language!!!
Sounds like your all recommending a new one tho and not a repair job and you think a laptop is best? I'm not really a fan of them, they feel a bit awkward! But I cud still use old fashioned use of mouse & keyboard when not travelling.
So is the 5 thing ok or does it have to be a 7 ?
What size memory will it need??? (I've got a 500 external hardrive)
And what speed will it need??
Sorry for the questions I am a non techy female that is built for yoga Not computer knowledge!!

It all depends on what you are willing to spend. Any PC or laptop you can buy at the moment will pretty much be suitable for your needs. Morbyd is right though, you are better off spending as much as you can afford as the machine is more likely to run for longer with less hassle as programs and websites etc. become more complex. I wanted an i7 but I couldn't justify the price for the extra power it would give me, and the i5 was recommended on ableton's forums so that was enough for me as the people on there are using it for software i wanted to run with no hassle.

If you'd prefer a desktop then go for it, but laptops are a lot more convenient and you can easily plug in a mouse and keyboard if you are using it in the home. I like having a desktop but its great having the option to take the laptop away for the weekend or use in the living room.

I'd go for a minimum 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive and at least an i3 processor. Theres a good deal in today's ebuyer mailout - http://www.ebuyer.com/285944-fujitsu-ah531-laptop-vfy-ah531mrsc2gb

I'd still suggest going to big PC retailer and playing about with them, especially if you're not used to using one. I very nearly bought an Acer a couple of years ago without seeing it, but was glad I didn't cause I didn't like the gaps between the keys (was thinking it would become a jungle of fluff, crumbs and tobacco).

Other features you might want to pay a bit more for might be a built in hd webcam, hdmi port for plugging it into your tv (although you will still be able to do this with any laptop, but hdmi will send the audio to your tv as well whereas vga wont).

^^ What he said

Wireless mouses cost all of nothing nowadays, so you don't need to be tied to the trackpad. My mouse's received is a little nubbin that sticks in the USB port, so small that I leave it in even when not using the computer at my desk. You can get combo mouse/keyboards that use the same little nubbin too.

If you get a laptop with a 15 inch or bigger screen, also no need for an external monitor really.

I suggest getting a new laptop, these days you can pick them up for affordable prices.

I have a laptop but it mainly sits on my desk and i still have a manual mouse that i use as i havent the patience for one on laptops lol. I also only use it for the same reasons as you do and mine is slowing getting to the stage where i wana lob it out the window as its also slow at time.

Best thing to do is going into a top laptop /computer store tell them what u are after,as in the main use of your pc and your budget and they 'should' pick something perfect for your needs, but dont make out you dont know alot as they could try and sell you extra stuff you dont really need, so be vigilant they dont brain wash u with utter rubbish :lol:

Back