Nepal - Trekking

tristanbaldock

Has anyone ever done any trekking in Nepal? I know it's not to be undertaken lightly but one of my dreams is to make it to Everest base camp. I've done a lot of hiking in this country on Dartmoor, have climbed Snowdon and Ben Nevis, have a good basic level of fitness due to lots of cycling. I know this would be taking it to a completely different level, but in doing some research it seems that the base camp is certainly achievable by relatively 'normal' people.

So anybody out there done anything like this or know of anyone who has?

Yeah I was up there last week. Left my Ray Bans there from my last decent, so had to go back and get them as they were a present from my mam........:):):)

Seriously though I have trouble climbing my stairs so not much help to you.Best of luck with it.

I watched an excellent documentary about a group of doctors that climbed Everest to conduct an experiment to test the effects of lack of oxygen to the body. They even got to the top and back down again

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I did the Everest Base Camp trek.
It's not that hard if you are reasonbly fit.
The best plan though is to allow about 3 weeks for the trip, as its a bloody long way.
I would advise walking in from where the the road finishes then flying back out on your return from the airstrip they have up there in the mountains.
About a week in you have to spend a few days at Namche Bazaar to aclimatize. Then you can do the final week up to Thangboche (spelling) and then base camp.
Accomodation is available along the trail at the tea houses..you buy dinner and the bed is free.
It gets pretty tough when get to about 18,000ft, as the air is very thin so I would only allow a day at that altitude.
Take as little as possible if you going to carry your own gear (some people have porters, but I thought that was cheating!!)
Absolutely amazing scenery up there....standing on the Kumu Glacier with Everest right in front of you is something you never forget.
Take some earplugs with you for sleeping in Thangboche Monestry as there are loads of hookers in there and the sherpas are shagging all night.
Do it....you will have an unbelievable time

I watched an excellent documentary about a group of doctors that climbed Everest to conduct an experiment to test the effects of lack of oxygen to the body. They even got to the top and back down again

Yeah I saw that - very good. Not gonna be attempting to summit Everest in this lifetime, I draw the line at going anywhere with the name 'Death Zone'!!:!:

Yeah, I did the Everest Base Camp trek.
It's not that hard if you are reasonbly fit.
The best plan though is to allow about 3 weeks for the trip, as its a bloody long way.
I would advise walking in from where the the road finishes then flying back out on your return from the airstrip they have up there in the mountains.
About a week in you have to spend a few days at Namche Bazaar to aclimatize. Then you can do the final week up to Thangboche (spelling) and then base camp.
Accomodation is available along the trail at the tea houses..you buy dinner and the bed is free.
It gets pretty tough when get to about 18,000ft, as the air is very thin so I would only allow a day at that altitude.
Take as little as possible if you going to carry your own gear (some people have porters, but I thought that was cheating!!)
Absolutely amazing scenery up there....standing on the Kumu Glacier with Everest right in front of you is something you never forget.
Take some earplugs with you for sleeping in Thangboche Monestry as there are loads of hookers in there and the sherpas are shagging all night.
Do it....you will have an unbelievable time

Thanks for the reply, sounds amazing. Did you go on an organised expedition, i.e. paid expert mountaineers and sherpars to go with you or what? What was the terrain like? Are there trails all the way up to the base camp or does it get tough going later on? Cheers for any info mate

P.S. the monastery must surely be in the Guinnes book of records as the worlds highest Brothel :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no tour or Sherpa's. You don't need them. Just pack very light...you really will regret any extra pound you bring.
Just took the bus from Kathmandu.....rode on the roof all the way.....to where the road stopped then started walking.
There are trails all the way and you will see a lot of people doing the same trip.
Because there is an airstrip up near Namche Bazaar you do get a few cheats who fly in as well. (having said that, I highly recommend flying back out). Don't fly in though!!
The last tea house is right of the base of another peak called Kala Patar (spelling)...you can climb that quite easily and get Everest straight in your face, you can see the top. The altitude did get to me there though...and about 6 paces at a time was the going rate to get to the peak.
Base camp is a day excursion from there.
Each Tea House on the way up tends to be a days walk space apart.

Not kidding at all.
The place is full of brass.
Little fat ones.

Here it is:

Thyangboche.JPG

No, no tour or Sherpa's. You don't need them. Just pack very light...you really will regret any extra pound you bring.
Just took the bus from Kathmandu.....rode on the roof all the way.....to where the road stopped then started walking.
There are trails all the way and you will see a lot of people doing the same trip.
Because there is an airstrip up near Namche Bazaar you do get a few cheats who fly in as well. (having said that, I highly recommend flying back out). Don't fly in though!!
The last tea house is right of the base of another peak called Kala Patar (spelling)...you can climb that quite easily and get Everest straight in your face, you can see the top. The altitude did get to me there though...and about 6 paces at a time was the going rate to get to the peak.
Base camp is a day excursion from there.
Each Tea House on the way up tends to be a days walk space apart.

Thanks for the info I-Spy, sounds like it could be a goer. Next step is to persuade someone to come with me! I will PM you for more details if, and when i get round to sorting it, if that's ok with you?

Back