Mykanos

venom

I've been invited to a Greek island called Mykanos which I've been told is Eastern Europes answer to Ibiza.

Has anyone been there and if so what is their verdict?

The Cyclonian Islands are absolutely amazing and Mykonos is one of them. Mykonos's Hora is full of fun bars and excellent restaurants. I hear that out of all the Greek isles, it's got the liveliest nightlife of all. I was there last summer and fell in love with it! Compared to Ibiza, I would say it is probably a bit more high-class, the average age a bit higher. As far as the crowd, it's mostly italians and greeks but it's a great atmosphere. The bars in Hora (they play excellent music, lots of house and techno) are a bit expensive so be prepared to spend your $$. If you're looking to party non stop, there is Paradise Island, it's the island's most famous beach, lots of good music too, and it's a younger crowd. Reserve in advance cuz the good accomodations book up fast and are hard to find. I would definitely not pass up the opportunity to go to Mykonos, it's a beautiful island!

While you're in the Aegean, be sure to get to Santorini, it's spectacular.

heard its very good, and also the preferred island for gay people. My gay friends go there a lot, it´s very high maitenance compared to other greec places - and yes one could compare it to Ibiza i guess...on some level.

Ibiza-girlie said:
heard its very good, and also the preferred island for gay people. My gay friends go there a lot, it´s very high maitenance compared to other greec places - and yes one could compare it to Ibiza i guess...on some level.

If you're looking for the gay area, head to SUPER Paradise Beach. If you're not, definitely avoid all signs pointing to this beach, not to be confused with Paradise!

If you're looking for the gay area, head to SUPER Paradise Beach. If you're not, definitely avoid all signs pointing to this beach, not to be confused with Paradise!

Don't agree Vernazza. Super Paradise is a shared beach. One end of the beach is pretty much exclusively gay nudist (the end with the hillside bar and the rocks) but the middle of the beach and the other end is mixed / hetero. The "Super Paradise beach bar" pool parties are the closest thing in Greece to an "Ibiza Experience" - tame Greek Bora-Bora...

Travelling to Mykonos and not going to Super Paradise beach is unforgiveable... :rolleyes:

LaLaLand said:
Don't agree Vernazza. Super Paradise is a shared beach. One end of the beach is pretty much exclusively gay nudist (the end with the hillside bar and the rocks) but the middle of the beach and the other end is mixed / hetero. The "Super Paradise beach bar" pool parties are the closest thing in Greece to an "Ibiza Experience" - tame Greek Bora-Bora...

Travelling to Mykonos and not going to Super Paradise beach is unforgiveable... :rolleyes:

hmmm I don't recall it being that way but I've only been there once. Paradise Beach was excellent, don't think twice about going their either.

Well, a friend of mine is working as a travel agent for some years all summer long mostly on Ibiza and Mykonos, say it is nice, like Ibiza, with many gays , but more bars and not so many clubs..

I would say there is nothing better then Ibiza!

Have fun!

Me and girlfriend are hoping to go for week either June or July.

Any further advice on which area to stay would be appreciated.

8)

Any further advice on which area to stay would be appreciated.

A good place to stay on Mykonos is Ornos Beach. It is quite close (about 2.5km, 10 mins in a cab) to Mykonos town (locally called Hora-port). Ornos has a lovely beach but the main reason to stay here is because at 8am and 10am in the morning, boats take you to all the main beaches on the south of the island. The beach with the best action is Super Paradise. The boats come back at about 5pm-6pm to bring u back to Ornos. Ornos has a lovely Italian beach restaruant aswell - "Il Parmigiano a mare" - good food and cheap...

The hotel I stayed in a few times was

http://www.dionysoshotel.com/ - reasonably priced rooms (garden view), clean accomodation, OK pool, nice staff, they'll happily call a cab for u when you're heading out

Enjoy Mykonos, you'll have a great time - can get VERY hot though in Jul/Aug - was 40C+ when I was last there

SUPER PARADISE BAR POOL PARTY
photo11.jpg

photo29.jpg

photo12.jpg

THE BOATS THAT BRING U TO THE BEACHES
photo36.jpg

Just booked for Mykonos 8)

13th - 20th June.

Staying in Glastros

Nice little warmup for Ibiza ;)

Back