My turnmills gig!

Mark Sun

Well, what can I say... what a cracker of a night! Here's my own-trumpet-blowing review - It's sunday night and I'm still buzzing from it :D

Being the green newbie I am, I turned up nice and early to familiarise myself with the dj box in turnmill's mainroom.

It was wierd walking around the club I'd been to so often with all the lights on and the place empty except for the odd staff member. On the way up to the main room I spotted one of the blokes from hybrid on his mobile phone and was busted grinning inanely at him. I think he was wondering who the feck I was so I just said hello and kept walking.

Inside the dj box and my heart was pounding like a 80k sound system. The sound guy showed me quickly around the booth and I played a few tunes to work out the cobwebs.

I used to get the feeling when I was at school before an exam where I just thought 'well if I don't know it now, I never will' - and so with about 15 mins to go I sat back and waited.

It was the longest 15 minutes in my life. I sat there watching the empty dancefloor, checking my watch every couple of seconds. Suddenly, someone turned out all the lights and the club lighting system started up. My heart, which had slowed slightly, kicked back in with a vengeance, and someone wearing an earpiece told me to get started....

Before I knew it I was on my fourth tune and I was feeling great. With some great support from my mates I felt completely relaxed and was thoroughly enjoying having such a cracking sound system at my fingertips. Now, Im not a tall guy at 5'8, but I really had to stand on my tippy toes to see the dancefloor.. So when I did after about 30 mins of playing I was shocked to see it full of people grooving away to my tunes. That's when I REALLY got into it, cranking up the pace and dancing around like a muppet in the dj box.

Way too soon and I looked at my watch to see I had 10 minutes to go - time to really bring out the big guns, I thought - and dropped 'Rug Cutting' by Mellow & Rivera. I couldn't see the crowd when it kicked in - but I HEARD them! My grin must have been big enough to see through the back of my head :D

Last tune was an extended dub of Junkie XLs 'Beauty Never Fades' and reluctantly I handed over to Lucien Foort (who was a really really nice guy). To my suprise, I got a big cheer as I picked up my last record - started by my mates and carried on by a bunch of people on the dancefloor. What a rush! I found out right afterwards that lots of my mates had been quizzed as to who I was - nice! :D

So that was my first (and hopefully not my last) gig at Turnmills! I then went on to have a truly brilliant night - Lucien was awesome, Hybrid rocked it and Marco V was great. Gavyn Mytchel did himself proud too, finishing off with some feck-off hard tunes to send us euphorically into the cold london morning.....

So that's it - I'll post some piccies on my website soon! Thanks so much to everyone who wished me well - meant a lot 8)

Mark, you're a superstar! Thought you sounded brilliant. I wasn't quite in full-on dancing mode at that stage in the evening, but couldn't keep still!

Sorry we didn't bump into eachother. Had a fab night nontheless.

Here's to many more successful nights for you! :D

nice one mark,

shame we couldn't make it hear you, lucien foort was already one by the time we got there. sound like a blinder!!

congrats :D

oooh Mark reading through that, I actually got goosebumps !!!!! I can well imagine the anticipation, then the adrenalin.... well done Mate

Ha ha ha ha!!

How weird. I was out with a mate last night who started telling me how this guy he knows had his first gig at Turnmills at the weekend :)

Imagine his surprise when I asked if his name was Mark!! ;)

Jam Man said:
Ha ha ha ha!!

How weird. I was out with a mate last night who started telling me how this guy he knows had his first gig at Turnmills at the weekend :)

Err what's your mate's first name?? Small world, eh! :)

Congrats pal..I know the feeling...I played in Irelands biggest Nightclub on Sat and it scared the shite out of me...RESPECT

seanbelfast said:
Congrats pal..I know the feeling...I played in Irelands biggest Nightclub on Sat and it scared the sh*te out of me...RESPECT

a congratuations are in order for sean as well!

well done sean!

seanbelfast said:
Congrats pal..I know the feeling...I played in Irelands biggest Nightclub on Sat and it scared the sh*te out of me...RESPECT

Congrats Sean! Scary but a definite rush innit!! Hope you had a blast mate :D

Robo, maybe we could set up a section on the site for DJ profiles a la harderfaster.net?

nice idea mark.

However james is the administrator of the site, so i would put the suggestion forward to him.

;)

Mark Sun said:
seanbelfast said:

Congrats Sean! Scary but a definite rush innit!! Hope you had a blast mate :D

Robo, maybe we could set up a section on the site for DJ profiles a la harderfaster.net?

Cheers mate..quality stuff although the most nervous i have got was my first appearance on Local radio it's just like doing a mix in your bedroom although you have to remember there is about 20,000 listeners listening to it which makes it even more nerve wrecking

Robo said:
seanbelfast said:

a congratuations are in order for sean as well!

well done sean!

Cheers Robo

Mark Sun said:
Jam Man said:
Ha ha ha ha!!

Err what's your mate's first name?? Small world, eh! :)

Dan - a mate of James..... we 3 used to work together in Addlestone.

James lives in Egham.

Back