My Review

CheekyChicken

The Holiday went like this:

We arrived in Ibiza at 12.30 after a pleasant flight with Monarch Air, we were staying in the Hotel Llevant in San Antonio (it was cheap & not so cheerful – wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy, no air con, bugs in towels, friends apartment got broken into and the night watchman or Lurch as I called him was a proper penis) anyway we didn’t anticipate spending much time there so it was only just bearable, next year though AIR CONDITIONING is top priority.

So first things first it was to the bar my friends! Drinks all round until we were, well I was suitably steaming. We left the hotel at around 4pm and got a taxi to Bora Bora beach for a few drinks before heading to WE LOVE SPACE. Except I was drunk and the bouncer noticed this, so while all my friends got in it took me 2 attempts to get in, but it was worth the hassle, Space is a quality club, all the rooms are worth a visit and if you can handle the heat on the terrace that is where it is best! The night flew by, a few of my friends underestimated that prices of drinks and were skint by 2am so we ended up having to leave before the end.

Monday night was Tiesto at Privilege. Words can’t describe how good the night was, Privilege like Space is a club you have to see to believe whether you are on the bouncing dancefloor behind the pool, up at the fron, dancing at the side, chilling out on the dome, you can’t help but smile. The sound & lighting was brilliant and Tiesto’s visuals were hypnotizing. He dropped some absolute savage tunes for example – Man with Red Face, Café Del Mar, Chase the Sun, Silence, Out of the Blue mixed in with some really strong records. It was sooo good that I had to go back the second week of our holiday so see if the first week was a fluke. Of course it wasn’t it was just as good if not better and he played completely different sets, so it wasn’t even like he was going through the motions. I’d recommend this night to everyone. We stayed until 6.30 – 7am both nights were phenomenal.

Tuesday I was set to go to Armada, but I was rough after Tiesto the thought of getting on a bus to go to Amnesia wasn’t so appealing, so I changed my mind (never do this!) and took up the option of Ladies Free into Tidy Vs Advanced. It was Dave Pearce and the Tidy Boys, now the past 3 years we have been avid fans of the Tidy night originally held at Es Paradis – it was always the highlight of our holiday as the music appealed to the tastes of the majority of our group. We were all gutted to find out that it had moved to Eden and that Dave bloody Pearce was resident. I think the guy is a *****, I don’t rate his DJ skills and I hate the fact he always wears a cap. Anyways why Tidy ever moved from Es Paradis is beyond me and why they chose to merge with tosspot Pearce is also a mystery. The night was guff, it really was in my opinion one of the poorest nights of our holiday. You cannot mix Trance and Hard house into the same night, it just doesn’t work. Sorry. I left shortly after the Tidy boys came on because they failed to light my mood.

Wednesday we headed back to Eden for Garlands, for what was a brilliant night. Garlands never fails to impress me, a consistently good night.

Thursday we headed to Amnesia for Cream to see Paul Van Dyk, I was feeling rather ropey hot & cold flushes, faint and just not on top form, but the night was good, not the best Cream I have ever been too I always find that PvD seems to lose direction and at points it did seem to drag on and on. However we stayed until 6am then left for a taxi.

Friday we went for a curry at the Curry Club – one of my fave places to eat in
San Antonio always a really good meal which leaves you stuffed and ready for bed. We went for a few drinks at Kanya before heading back to the Westend for a boogie in Play2. Early night was needed though.

Saturday I was persuaded to go to Water Party/Foam Party at Eden (Mondo Loco) & Es Paradis (Fiesta Agua), we’d picked up free passes during the day on the Bay for both nights so we thought we would flit between the 2 of them. Es Paradis was the better of the 2 nights I felt playing some really good house music, but why they call these nights water/foam poarties is beyond me as we left at 5.30am there was still no sign of foam or water… I think in some ways I was thankful of that!!

10/08/08 Judgment Sunday @ Eden, one of the best Judgment Sundays I have ever been to. Jules & Sander Van Doorn were brilliant.

Armada @ Amnesia on the 12th of August was brilliant and possibly the highlight of my holiday. Big Armin Van Buuren was playing an exclusive 8 hour set, ladies were getting reduced tickets 30e instead of 40e and we managed to get the free bus there and back. It was a top night; at one point Armin had everyone sitting on the dance floor before jumping to their feet when a savage bass line kicked in it had to be seen to be believed. I can’t believe I haven’t been to Armada before; I will certainly be going back.

Wednesday after Armada we took some free passes for Es Paradis for Rogue DJ’s. Another surprisingly good night more on the commercial side of things and probably better suited to teeny chart boppers but Alex P, Brandon Block and Leeroy Thornhill from Prodigy were brilliant and I had another great night.

It was tough choosing between David Guetta F*ck Me I’m Famous or Above & Beyond at Cream, in the end we settled for Above & Beyond… wasn’t so much settling as the night was deadly. Ferry Corsten was up first and he seemed to have the crowd lapping it up, Eddie came on and really raised the roof but neither were as good as Above & Beyond. We floated through to the second room as I was keen to see Kurd Maverick but it was too much of a change and we ended up staying in the main room until the lights came on. Brilliant.

Friday we all got drunk, and the night ended in carnage.

Overall I had a brilliant holiday, I always do when I'm in Ibiza. I’m still kicking myself for not making it to Wonderland or Hed Kandi – I have sworn that I will definitely do both next year as well as trying some new nights.

I definitely thought that Ibiza and the clubs were a lot quieter than in previous years. I don’t think I have ever seen Amnesia as quiet as it was, don’t get me wrong there were a lot of people and for first timers it would appear rammed but I’d have said it was comfortably busy. I’ll definitely be going back. Although I spent just under 2 grand this year and I didn’t do half the stuff I wanted too, so I’m going to start saving now for next year.

Possibly the best Ice Cream on the island I’d recommend Helados Artesanales on Placa de s’eglesia.

...Hotel Llevant in San Antonio ...
... wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy,
no air con,
bugs in towels,
friends apartment got broken into and
the night watchman or Lurch as I called him was a proper penis ...
:lol:

... So first things first it was to the bar my friends! ...

... heading to WE LOVE SPACE. Except I was drunk and the bouncer noticed this, so while all my friends got in it took me 2 attempts to get in ...

great review !
:)

Good review! Armada is an amazing night isn't it? I bet you wished you went on the first week now? lol

But I gotta disagree with you...

You cannot mix Trance and Hard house into the same night, it just doesn’t work.

Of course you can.
Most Trance nights feature the harder stuff these days and they work quite well.

Armada is brilliant & I was furious that I didn't go the first week, however I suppose a bit of variety can't do any harm.

Trust me Tidy Vs Advanced was poor. The difference between Dave Pearce & Tidy Boys sets' was in my opinion the end of the night for me.

One thing I will say about this year is that everyone i was with overspent this year, It has to be due to the poor exchange rate because the prices of drinks/entrance into clubs haven't changed since last year if anything they're offering reduced entrance into a lot of nights. I think should the exchange rate worsen I think Ibiza will definitely suffer next year.

And this Ibiza Rocks thing, is changing the island, it's not so much focussed on dance music & certainly is appealing to the wider audience. I thought it had a stronger presence this year.

Armada is brilliant & I was furious that I didn't go the first week, however I suppose a bit of variety can't do any harm.

Trust me Tidy Vs Advanced was poor. The difference between Dave Pearce & Tidy Boys sets' was in my opinion the end of the night for me.

One thing I will say about this year is that everyone i was with overspent this year, It has to be due to the poor exchange rate because the prices of drinks/entrance into clubs haven't changed since last year if anything they're offering reduced entrance into a lot of nights. I think should the exchange rate worsen I think Ibiza will definitely suffer next year.

And this Ibiza Rocks thing, is changing the island, it's not so much focussed on dance music & certainly is appealing to the wider audience. I thought it had a stronger presence this year.

I've not been to Armada for a few years now, but I definately wanna go back next year. Such a good night but always gets overshadowed by Cream.

I actually did not bad with my money this year due to the reduced entry- I actually came back with 100 Euro!

Dave Pearce has put nights on in Eden on Tuesdays for a while now. Slinky, Gatecrasher and now Tidy/Advanced. I wouldn't go to a club where DP was playing- he's a clown!

I'd say it was definitely better than Cream in the first week, it would be tough to chose between Above & Beyond and Armin.

The depression this year is miles worse than any other year... think it's a sign of getting old! lol

cheecky chicken - top review. You had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck :lol: yours is the first review Ive read that basically mirrors the kind of nights we go to in Ibiza and I absolutely agree with you about Armada. We only discovered it last year (even though we've been to Ibiza every year its been on!) and we wouldnt miss it now. Also couldnt agree more with you about Tidy. It was amazing at Es Paradis and I cannot understand why they've gone in with dangerous dave. havent they also booked him for the next weekender...criminal! The saving grace for our night at Tidy/DP this year was that it was Tidy week and they had hardstyle in the back room which was amazing.

Anyway, thanks for your review, i was begining to think i was the only trance head/hard house on this forum! :lol:

and it will have an even stronger presence next yar.....

Back