Music styles at clubs: trying to figure out

if i like it, then i like it.

taste is used as a weapon to claim some kind of high ground.

i gave up trying to classify tunes years ago....i don't know my speed garage from my garage, my two step from my three step, my tropical house from my sub-tropical house

it is useless anyway. fast forward 12 months and there will be only reggaeton

I think the problem with any genre discussion is that basically it is such a boring subject that sends 99% of people to sleep and yet it is so f*cking fundamental when you're spending thousands on a music-based holiday. I miss the days when you just knew you were in for a good night without having to research everything to death.

I think the problem with any genre discussion is that basically it is such a boring subject that sends 99% of people to sleep and yet it is so f*cking fundamental when you're spending thousands on a music-based holiday. I miss the days when you just knew you were in for a good night without having to research everything to death.
good point. would it hurt for the promoters to let people know what to expect?

The thing I've taken away for this season, is that the tribal element of Ibiza is - or has - changed. Genres used to dictate which tribe went where. But it isn't about that so much nowadays. Popularity has displaced it. You will regularly find people who go to Ocean Beach and David Guetta are also going to ANTS and Circo. This isn't a rule across the board, far from it. But it's there plain to see amongst the younger demographic.

Based on the lineups I would disagree with this...DJ EZ, Chase & Status, Andy C, Pendulum. Wouldn't say any of those are house at all.

Main room = bass styles, terrace = commercial end of house music (think MK, Hannah Wants - basically accessible stuff joe public recognise from the charts)

Genres?! Everything is so divided.

Such a muddle these days. Would be good to just go back, wayyyy back, to an era like acid house 88/89.

Fire up the Delorean!

To the OP, I did a short trip back to Ibiza last September after my main holiday in July/august. The pull was just too strong and I had to go back!

The weather was spot on. Wasn’t too crowded during the daytime and the night time still had a great atmosphere. Went to Music On @amnesia and it wasn’t any less mental and banging than normal.

I know some people that swear by going in September, even know a group of lads that went in October.

Would I go back in September? Damn right I bloody would! :cool:

Mid septembers a great time to go. Room to dance in clubs. Can be a bit hit and miss weather wise, you may get some epic thunderstorms but tbh who knows after this mad summer what august and september hold.

Agree with all the above posts about lines becoming blurred. One mans house is anothers trouse. Do a bit of research into the nights and dont be too disappointed if its not exactly to your taste. Part of what used to be exciting about ibiza was being exposed to new music and having your mind opened a wee bit. Some of the best nights/memories ive had in ibiza have been losing my mind to some really bad music cause the crowd around me were going mental, or ive been having a chemically induced emotional response to some cheesy lyric (cough bob sinclar world hold on cough). I actually miss my days of being a bit less pretentious about it all, was more open to just going places on a whim and going with it.

Mid septembers a great time to go. Room to dance in clubs. Can be a bit hit and miss weather wise, you may get some epic thunderstorms but tbh who knows after this mad summer what august and september hold.

Agree with all the above posts about lines becoming blurred. One mans house is anothers trouse. Do a bit of research into the nights and dont be too disappointed if its not exactly to your taste. Part of what used to be exciting about ibiza was being exposed to new music and having your mind opened a wee bit. Some of the best nights/memories ive had in ibiza have been losing my mind to some really bad music cause the crowd around me were going mental, or ive been having a chemically induced emotional response to some cheesy lyric (cough bob sinclar world hold on cough). I actually miss my days of being a bit less pretentious about it all, was more open to just going places on a whim and going with it.

Totally agree with that.

Reminds me of stepping into Kilties in San An once, just for the craic as the jocks are well up for a good time, and they were having some sort of old skool rave night dropping some bouncing mid 90s Scott Brown style beats!

Thought I had done some sort of Quantum Leap back in time lol.

The younger lads in our group were like wtf is this! Clearly never heard anything like it and loving it and everyone going mental!

Fcuk it I’m going to pop back into Kilties and see if it’s a regular thing they do lol :lol:

The thing I've taken away for this season, is that the tribal element of Ibiza is - or has - changed. Genres used to dictate which tribe went where. But it isn't about that so much nowadays. Popularity has displaced it. You will regularly find people who go to Ocean Beach and David Guetta are also going to ANTS and Circo. This isn't a rule across the board, far from it. But it's there plain to see amongst the younger demographic.

Instagram

Back