Music Genres / Pigeon holes

dfunky

Hi
I Dj and I play House, Ive never catogorised the type of music i play, I use words to describe certain records like deep or funky or happy e.t.c
I would like everyone to list all the different catagories for all the different types of music and then describe what it is and who plays it
I'll start with HOUSE
4 beats by 4 beats similar to disco music. Using samples and different sounds to create good music to dance too. Not too fast and not to slow
Ideal speed- the speed of your heart beat.
Played by - most club Dj's

thats a start lets see where we can go from here.

ok, let´s try to continue this one...

PROGRESSIVE HOUSE
sub-category of HOUSE, normally less vocals, most important characteristic: faster than House. so it´s more similar to techno than the "soulful house" is. many build-ups and breakdowns.

Ideal speed: approx. 133 bpm

played by: i would say that these djs SOMETIMES play progressive house -James Zabiela, Sander Kleinenberg, Deep Dish...

Garage - Moody, too many beats, not easy to dance to, but easy to look a p.r.a.t. to, normally goes well with a shooting! :eek:

IBIZALISA said:
Garage - Moody, too many beats, not easy to dance to, but easy to look a p.r.a.t. to, normally goes well with a shooting! :eek:

^^ thats speed garage...

garage is disco influenced house from nyc, often with lots of vocals... the name came from larry levan's famous club "paradise garage"

garage is disco influenced house from nyc, often with lots of vocals... the name came from larry levan's famous club "paradise garage"

exactly

at the same time in chicago in the club Warehouse house music was developping (that´s where House music has its name from). so garage and house are quite the same, only two different names for the same music.

Morales only filled in for Levan one time. However the "Garage" was Morales' first large scale gig. He thereafter went on to spin in most NY clubs, and then came the remixes, productions and worldwide fame. And "garage" music here in the US refers to the classic sound of the "Paradise Garage", and also to a certain soulful house sound that features piano riffs, and vocal melodies (normally), furthermore it is usually around 120-129 bpm, and does not have anything to do with "speed garage" or "2-step" that happen to borrow the name of the garage sub-genre. I just wanted to clear the air a little bit. Peace

flatandround said:
IBIZALISA said:

^^ thats speed garage...

ok sorry, was just trying to be funny....fell flat on my face there ay! :rolleyes: :oops: :rolleyes: :oops:
Thanks though! ;)

Back