Music documentaries

it's very well done. Living in Worthing years later I was aware of the legend but didn't realise just how big it was. Mr C also made some good points on there about how afters were where the real fun is and where the community or 'family' formed. So true. Ultimately people always remember the sensational headlines but a lot of great music was heard at those parties and lifelong friendships made. Everything always comes to an end though cos you can never keep a good thing secret forever, as Ibiza also found out...

While we’re at it this is very good. Very insightful.

I watched the original BBB years ago. Think I picked up the DVD in some Tesco. I thought it captured it really well. One minute you're watching a sea of ravers and the next Johnny Ball pops into view! Although no video could really capture the absolute anarchy we experienced that day which - depending on your perspective - was amazing or horrendous. The UK doesn't do anarchy or street parties that well so to be somewhere with hundreds of thousands of people who'd turned up word of mouth felt really big at the time. And obv the powers, councils, fuzz were never going to let that happen again.

*I've never met Norman but trusted associates in Hove tell me he is a bit up himself. That said, the early years 90-97 he made some killer tunes

I went to it and at the time didn't realise quite the enormity of it.. (not just because I was wasted.. although played a part haha).
It was good to watch the footage as it was back in the day of no camera phones. Such a good day. The music was a non event but the crowd was amazing.

yep. He'd done something similar for Channel 4 the year before which I went to with my flatmates - that was more like 30,000 and I guess people thought it would be a repeat. Busy but manageable. But then the word got out, it was a really warm sunny day and it got completely out of hand. We drove down and i'd not see a motorway like that - total standstill at times but the atmosphere was electric - I guess the early rave convoys were a similar buzz. I saw some people were tripping really hard on the beach. God knows where they ended up!

yep. He'd done something similar for Channel 4 the year before which I went to with my flatmates - that was more like 30,000 and I guess people thought it would be a repeat. Busy but manageable. But then the word got out, it was a really warm sunny day and it got completely out of hand. We drove down and i'd not see a motorway like that - total standstill at times but the atmosphere was electric - I guess the early rave convoys were a similar buzz. I saw some people were tripping really hard on the beach. God knows where they ended up!
Fantastic. All a bit after my time but I used to get on the beach for afters from The Zap for the Tonka parties with Choci , Harvey and Rev. I remember having to use a phone box about 8am to say I was too I’ll to come into work. The nights were a Thursday . Went back down to the beach and stayed until 1pm. Police visited and left. Lots of friendly individuals.

Fantastic. All a bit after my time but I used to get on the beach for afters from The Zap for the Tonka parties with Choci , Harvey and Rev. I remember having to use a phone box about 8am to say I was too I’ll to come into work. The nights were a Thursday . Went back down to the beach and stayed until 1pm. Police visited and left. Lots of friendly individuals.

those parties sounded amazing. I was 2/3 years too young 😢

Norway got pulled into the modern cultural era starting with the JAPs in the mid 1980s, and then the rest of society sometime during the economic depression of the early 1990s. I'll write about the first techno party I went to during this period some other time.

It's a quiet Saturday today, so here goes:

Back in the late 1980s/early1990s there was a student at the university in Oslo who was crazy about the opera. He was constantly pestering his friends to go with him to the opera. They started calling him Mozart - and he even dressed up as Mozart when going to the opera. Then his friends got the idea of doing the same, and also inviting all their friends and friends of friends along. Afterwards they would return to a club at the university to dance waltzes and other classical dances. And thus the annual Operaballet ("Opera Ball") in Oslo was established. The dresscode is late 18th Century French, German, Austrian etc. nobility.

My first Operaballet was in the early 1990s. The evening started at 3PM (Saturday afternoon) with a bunch of us meeting at an artsy restaurant in the center of Oslo. (In those days, Oslo was still rather stuffy and not ready for alternative lifestyles. Walking down into town, passing by the Palace, and then along the city's main street whilst dressed as Louis XVI did get me a bit of attention. Oslo was not ready for this back then.)

After a meal at the restaurant we walked in style along Karl Johans gate to the opera, stopping traffic and just about everything else as we walked past.

Most of the audience (300 or so) at the opera were participating in the Operaballet, and were therefore in costumes. Afterwards we walked in a torch parade down to the castle where an old banqueting hall was hired for the Operaballet - which at this stage of the evening is a reenactment of an 18th Century ball. An orchestra was hired in for occasion, the music was authentic, and the waltzes were performed to perfection. (We had all been given classes in the weeks before).

This went on until 3-4-ish in the morning. The afterparty was held at the university, on the other side of town. Taxis were needed to get us there.

The early 1990s coincided with the last occupation of buildings by far-left activists groups. They would illegally take over old block of flats, and barricade the entrances. The occupation would go on for years until the police finally got a court order and then got around to evicting them, usually after a massive fight and ensuing riots. Two such buildings were Kruses gate 7 and 9 - both architectural gems that really needed preservation and not illegal occupation.

As we left the banqueting hall and were organising ourselves into taxis, rumour had it that an illegal rave (a type of party we had barely heard about until then) was being held in the basement of Kruses gate 7 that night. 🤨

The girls we had were all dressed up like Marie Antoinette, with ridicuolously wide dresses and high hair/hats. They weren't to keen on going to a basement party in a almost ruinous building occupied by far-left activists. But 7 or 8 us guys decide to check it out - on our way to the actual afterparty. So at around 4 AM on that Sunday morning, a bunch of gentlemen dressed as late 18C French noblemen, with wigs and all, entered the basement of the far-left activist group occupied Kruses gate 7.

The weird thing is that most of the people there were so far out on drugs they hardly noticed us. They rest seemed to think we were a bunch of gay guys indulging ourselves in the latest decandency. (Kruses gate 7 would be the only suitable place in Oslo for that kind of enactment at the time.) Anyway, the music and atmosphere was great, and raves were now part of our lives. A couple of hours later we left to rejoin the Marie Antionettes at the actual after-party.

Raves went mainstream not so long after, with the (legal) night club Kristiania being the main venue for a few years thereafter. (That's another story).

The Operaballet still exists. Pics from one of the more recent events:

https://www.operaballet.no/

As for Kruses gate 7, the occupiers were evicted a few years later, after numerous court cases ending in a ruling by the Supreme court. The property was soon after listed/given protected status, and then restored to its former glory as a residency:

http://www.artemisia.no/arc/3/omraade/oslo/kruses.gate.7.html

Last edited:
So some people claim to listen to rock but they never heard about this icon..time to fix it
its not all about Jimi Hendrix Janis joplin Jim Morrison, Kurt cobain known from everybody but some unknown to the mass (unless u read righ rock newspaper)

I actually went to the Gram Parsons shrine in the Mojave desert, in a great little motel called The Joshua Tree. Not a massive fan of his music though, unless you can recommend anything that will blow my mind? I like a wide range of rock, from the 'classic' greats like McCartney, Hendrix, America, Santana, Floyd, Can through to niche/cult bands like PIL, Stooges, Acid Mothers Temple or Slift.

His first only record GP is a classic (he inspire the Jayhawks ,country rock band i used to enjoy ), his live 73 is nice, got many other cds of him too.
The flying burritos brothers where he was member has released some classic rock LP
All name u drop i have some records but not things i listen to now .
Some classic rock band i still enjoy after 30 years n not on the light as Ry cooder bob dylan johnny cash.... top 5 list:

The del lords (rock n roll end 80's)
Green On red (alternative country rock)
The crusados (latino rock us)
Lucinda williams (country folk)
Mary Gauthier (country folk)

David + David- Welcome to the boomtown album is a classic ranked among best 100 lp to have
ween made a country album that was lit

Last edited:
Back