Mr Sun - we're waiting!

How was it then? Enough snow?

While you're waiting for Mark...

eb154cf6.jpg

I feel on a worse comedown than Ibiza...had such a good weeks skiing now back to miserable weather,no mountains,alcoholic drinks sat in mountain bars,etc,etc:cry:

I went to Campitilo in Italy in the Val di Fassa region.
Despite having had no snow for 5 weeks they had done wonders with the snow cannons and the conditions were pretty good,variable but good.

I thought Austria was nice last year but this area was simply amazing, the scenery, the infrastructure, the 120 lifts which gave access to various circuits and all different types of skiing area and best of all (being my 2nd year) I could actually ski reasonably well this year8)

I don't think I can wait another year to go again....

Sounds good Ed. Skiiing/boarding is such a great holiday.

Think I'll be going somewhere again in March sometime.

While you're waiting for Mark...

I feel on a worse comedown than Ibiza...had such a good weeks skiing now back to miserable weather,no mountains,alcoholic drinks sat in mountain bars,etc,etc:cry:

I went to Campitilo in Italy in the Val di Fassa region.
Despite having had no snow for 5 weeks they had done wonders with the snow cannons and the conditions were pretty good,variable but good.

I thought Austria was nice last year but this area was simply amazing, the scenery, the infrastructure, the 120 lifts which gave access to various circuits and all different types of skiing area and best of all (being my 2nd year) I could actually ski reasonably well this year8)

I don't think I can wait another year to go again....

Come to the Canadian Rockies :)... we are having a fantastic year!!! Pretty reasonable rates as well. Granted.. I live quite close, but there are some great packages available.. adn the powder is AMAZING this year!

It's hard to describe to people that have never been how good a holiday Skiing or boarding is.
I always used to think that it was expensive (which it is) and not worth it but it's not until you are there that you realise why you are paying £125 for a lift pass,£40 for Skii's etc.
The basic cost of the holiday is in a lot of cases much better value,we were HB in a nice newly refurbished hotel which had sauna,steam,hydrothepy pool,etc and paid £359 each.

Better still was the surprise on the last day that Nielson had given us each a 50 euro credit fore drinks in the hotel meaning our drinks bill was nicely halved at the end of the holiday,not many places give you that nice surprise:)

Where are you going in March Buckley:idea:

It's hard to describe to people that have never been how good a holiday Skiing or boarding is.
I always used to think that it was expensive (which it is) and not worth it but it's not until you are there that you realise why you are paying £125 for a lift pass,£40 for Skii's etc.
The basic cost of the holiday is in a lot of cases much better value,we were HB in a nice newly refurbished hotel which had sauna,steam,hydrothepy pool,etc and paid £359 each.

Better still was the surprise on the last day that Nielson had given us each a 50 euro credit fore drinks in the hotel meaning our drinks bill was nicely halved at the end of the holiday,not many places give you that nice surprise:)

Where are you going in March Buckley:idea:

is that 125 pound lift pass for one day only :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Never done the skiing holiday, but for a while I lived a 30-45 minute drive from a 3000m ski resort. There was nothing like waking up on a Saturday, hopping in the car and going up to the slopes. A great way to relax and reflect.

Haven't skiied since I moved away from there though... where's a good not-too-expensive place to go for a skiing weekend?

Happy new year to you to Karen, hope to see you sometime in 2007!

Morbyd, I think from Europe there are loads of good destinations for the weekend trip, the key is finding one which is a relitively short transfer from the airport.Andorra for example can be 4 - 5 hours, I had a 2 and a half hour transfer in Italy but last year in Austria it ws only an hour.Ideally you would get there Fri night sort out all your Ski hire,etc and then have a full 2 days skiing Sat and Sun.

Trouble is I think it takes a few days to get into it and I think you'd be left wanting more after just a weekend?

Agree with you on the views8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How fat do I look in that photo? (Rhetorical question, please don't actually tell me 'how fat').

Snow was BRILLIANT! We were really lucky as we basically arrived after the first snow of the season. Monday was blue skies and perfect snow, Tuesday had some poor visibility due to the fact it snowed all day ;) Wednesday was ankle deep powdersnow, sooo great :D :D

Thurs and fri the snow melted a bit due to unseasonably warm weather, but we still had fun and were treated to bright cloudless skies, so all good.

All up a fabulous week, and I'm fitter than I've been in months and months :)

We're heading to Meribel in March 8)

Bagged a cool chalet for 8 of us:
http://www.amsrentals.com/index/28/0/0/0

Definitely agree with the comment about it being difficult to describe to someone who hasn't been.

First went boarding to the Alps in 1998 and been 1-2 times every year since.

Keep promising Canada or US one year but the Alps are so nearby it's hard to resist the easy option. Driving down this year in fact which should be a cool adventure. Used to do the drive a few years back but flying has been the mode of transport in recent years.

If this weather pattern continues though, then Stateside could be the only choice!

If you can get a 3 valleys pass I suggest making the trip up to Val Thorens, it definitely had the best snow when we were there (being the highest resort) :)

Happy new year to you to Karen, hope to see you sometime in 2007!

Morbyd, I think from Europe there are loads of good destinations for the weekend trip, the key is finding one which is a relitively short transfer from the airport.Andorra for example can be 4 - 5 hours, I had a 2 and a half hour transfer in Italy but last year in Austria it ws only an hour.Ideally you would get there Fri night sort out all your Ski hire,etc and then have a full 2 days skiing Sat and Sun.

There's good resorts closer to Girona Airport than Andorra, which IMO it's one of the worst places in the world (specially in winter). You have La Molina which is an amazing resort with quite decent choice of lodgment and services. But anyway, we don't have snow this year, so forget about the Pyrinees, even Baqueira Beret is suffering the warm weather. (which in a normal year is a good option)

If you can get a 3 valleys pass I suggest making the trip up to Val Thorens, it definitely had the best snow when we were there (being the highest resort) :)

We usually do a day n Courchevel, one in Val Thorens and even an afternoon down to St Martin :)

You can also ski in Bulgaria on the cheap, apparently.. not sure if it's any good there..

I'm looking into buying a place out there... it is dirt cheap. I've heard nothing other than good things about Bansko (apart from a late start to the season this year)

Back