Mr Rustywoo goes on his holiday..pt2

russ

When we last left Mr Rustywoo, he had just gone to bed a little worse for wear and having said bye bye to Sarah, Jo, Claire and Suzanne who headed back to the Uk, a little tanned, refreshed and partied out. We continue………

Wednesday 30th July

We slept for a considerable part of the day. Eight pm and it was time to meet Mr Moderator Stephen and his wife Jaki in the Hotel Montesol on Vara de Rey. A coupla drinks later we went to a tapas bar a few streets away (our first choice place, whose name escapes me, where Stephen loves the food on sticks, was closed). Unbelievably we spent 24 eruos between us!! A little later, six beers and two vino tinto cost a ridiculous 14 euros. Stephen sure knows the cheap places to dine and drink. An absolutely delightful evening, chatting about Ibecan life in lovely company.

Thursday 31st July

Mrs Rustywoo’s 30th birthday. An early start and we drove into marina Botofoc looking for the place Tiger Vic’s dad loves. Couldn’t find it but settled on Sidney’s instead. Overlooking the marina, the harbour and over to the old town, we had lovely fresh omelettes and fruit, café and orange juice with the wet set. Hold onto your knickers ladies but Peter Stringfellow was at an adjacent table!!!

A circuitous drive through roundabout hell that is Santa Eularia and north along the startling rugged coast and soon we arrived at our destination for the day. The beach at Aigues Blanques is narrow but the sand is soft and fine, the sea is fresh and clear with nice big waves. As is customary on this beach, we disrobed, sunscreen’s ourselves to death and lay as the good lord intended amongst the Germans, Italians and plenty of Spanish. We sunbathed, swam and sunbathed some more till dusk. Pure Bliss. At about 6pm a weird thing happened. All the other naked people started covering themselves in mud, from head to toe. Dunno what that’s all about, maybe someone can explain?
Stopped off in Ibiza town for a quick dinner and back to the hotel for a drinkie and an early night.

Friday 1st August

My good lady’s final day of her holiday and at her request were off to Space for the Tonic carry-on. By the time we got there at nearly noon, the inside was already closed and the terrace decidedly thin. It was a real “ahhh bless” sight to see all these 17-20 yr olds over from San Antoni, obviously at their first ‘after’ club. Substantial numbers of them seemed to be flagging. The ‘pokey’ security man was on finger duty, prodding people who dropped off and telling them to get up and dance or leave. Our very own Beachbum Gee was on the decks playing a selection of the big tunes from the front of his box and was followed by some terrace classics from Alex P. The very Tall Paul put in a brief apperance but no sign of the Blockster. We Had Fun but the sound on the terrace seemed even worse than on Sunday.

Stopped off outside Bora Bora for a massage and then stayed to listen to Gee’s understudy gradually get the afternoon wound up. Back to the hotel for some sunbathing. Went to the airport to tearfully hug Mrs Rustywoo bye bye as she had to be back in London for college/work..

My friends Steve and Steve had other plans so I decided to take matters into my own hands and go out on my own. As luck would have it, Timo Mass had decided to make this night the first of his solo gigs at DC10. got there about 2am and the place was still pretty quiet. Things soon changed and as the music got progressively harder and squelchier, the place was soon full and seriously rocking. At 7.30am the place was still chock-a-block and pumpin. Met some nice folks, heard some of the finest wobbly techno and danced a considerable amount. Nice.

Saturday 2nd August

Late start (see above). 4pm rolled around and Mr Spotlight James came over to the hotel to meet me for a drink. Had a good time chatting about you guys, Ibiza and life in general for a good few hours before James had to go to perform his filial duties.

Took a stroll down to Bora Bora which by this time was really kicking off. This year really is the year of Bora Bora. On the way back I stopped off at Pin-Up just as the terrace was closing. It was pretty quiet and only half the upstairs bit was open but it is quite pretty. Downstairs opened at midnight with some nice electro chug-chuggery and when I left at about 2 was filling up nicely for Dave Seaman who, apparently, was really good. Good venue, shame hardly anyone knows about it or indeed can find it. It has to be the most poorly signposted club on the island and even knowing that it was near the Bull bar it still took me four attempts to find it. Free entrance if you are staying at Es Vive c/o Max, who part owns both the hotel and the club.

Sunday 3rd August

With the best intentions Steve, Steve and I got to outside Bora Bora by two pm, intending to head straight to Space to a) get our moneys worth (45euros today!) and b) get some of those sunny happy daytime tunes deep in our soul. However, Beachbum Gee was already makin it happen and we lay on sun beds, chilling and sunbathing and the next thing we know it’s 7pm and we are all beached out. Ahh, dilemmas dilemmas.

Anyway, back to the hotel for a shower and change and when we finally made it to Space it was gone 10pm. By this time the terrace was very, very, very busy but decidedly unexcited. I’m afraid I am going have to join the growing throngs who just don’t think Casius can really cut it on the terrace. His rumbling prog seemed to never go anywhere and I was, to be frank, a little bored.

Come midnight and it really was ‘All Change Please’. Jamie Oliver was on much better form than last week, having decided to get a little acid on our asses. My friends Steve and Steve decided to leave but by that time I had made some new ones and was happy to stay.
1am, and it was time for Steve Lawler who ripped the inside apart with some serious head-wobbling proggy beats. This was turning into the best inside Space session I’d ever had. Things though were about to get seriously better and turn this into one of the best nights dancing I’ve ever had. The reason: Felix Da Housecat. Astonishing, only playing his own stuff from about 3.30 am, his scuzzy electro blasted that substantial sound system in there and gave it, and us, a proper workout. All time Top 5 sets of me life. I left at six, seriously happy, seriously tired.

Back to the hotel, stopping by the pool to have a quick chat to the lovely Mark Doyle from Hed Kandi before packing, and coming home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A quick word about Es Vive. Personally, we wouldn’t stay there again. It’s a tiny bit ‘fur coat and no knickers’. The public areas are beautiful but the rooms are VERY small and VERY basic, not even a chest of drawers and cheapo sheets and towels. The staff are pretty, if not the sharpest knives in the box and have a terrible habit of chatting to themselves and their friends when they could be serving. The bar area is a disaster. I believe that Smirnoff paid for it but the result is an over designed, clinical exercise in poncery. Every seat is uncomfortable and it is always empty. Moan moan moan. Maybe im too old and too ugly for this hotel. The food, however, is superb

Anyway folks, that’s about the story of my week, sorry if I’ve left anything out

;)

Great review Rusty.

I was at the tonic carry on too, shame I didnt know what you looked like, mind you probably safer for you's. Think we left there around 1ish and went to Bora Bora, how come the sound of the music over there is like 50 times better than Space and you dont have to pay to go there!!!

You're damn right Lisa. We also couldnt help thinkin we should maybe have skipped Space and headded straight for Bora Bora

rustywoo said:
You're damn right Lisa. We also couldnt help thinkin we should maybe have skipped Space and headded straight for Bora Bora

At least after hitting Space first you could appreciate Bora Bora that little bit more. Was fantastic there that day, something that will stick in my mind for a long long time :D

And I'm glad we didnt pay to get into Space either, that would have really pee'd me off :evil:

rustywoo said:
A quick word about Es Vive. Personally, we wouldn’t stay there again. It’s a tiny bit ‘fur coat and no knickers’. The public areas are beautiful but the rooms are VERY small and VERY basic, not even a chest of drawers and cheapo sheets and towels. The staff are pretty, if not the sharpest knives in the box and have a terrible habit of chatting to themselves and their friends when they could be serving. The bar area is a disaster. I believe that Smirnoff paid for it but the result is an over designed, clinical exercise in poncery. Every seat is uncomfortable and it is always empty. Moan moan moan. Maybe im too old and too ugly for this hotel. The food, however, is superb

We'll definately be staying there again.

The rooms are small and basic, but what more do you need? - all you do is get ready and sleep there (maybe other things too ;) )

Totally disagree with the comments about the bar. The late bar is way cool and is perfect for chilling after night out.

I was dissapointed with the staff a little. I asked if we could buy space tickets and change money and the reply was that we could get everything there. However, i told the receptionist i wanted Space tickets and would collect them later, but when i returned she had sold them all! They also found it very difficult to exchange as little a 200 euro.

It wasn't as pretentious as i first expected although they were one or two that liked to be heard around the pool area.

A quick word about Es Vive. Personally, we wouldn�t stay there again. It�s a tiny bit �fur coat and no knickers�. The public areas are beautiful but the rooms are VERY small and VERY basic, not even a chest of drawers and cheapo sheets and towels. The staff are pretty, if not the sharpest knives in the box and have a terrible habit of chatting to themselves and their friends when they could be serving. The bar area is a disaster. I believe that Smirnoff paid for it but the result is an over designed, clinical exercise in poncery. Every seat is uncomfortable and it is always empty.

PMSL.... and not much has changed in 10 years !

As is customary on this beach, we disrobed, sunscreen�s ourselves to death and lay as the good lord intended amongst the Germans, Italians and plenty of Spanish. We sunbathed, swam and sunbathed some more till dusk. Pure Bliss. At about 6pm a weird thing happened. All the other naked people started covering themselves in mud, from head to toe. Dunno what that�s all about, maybe someone can explain?

Have you worked it out / done it yourself since then ? All very tribal, feels nice 8) ... just have to watch out for the hornets who fancy that mud too :eek:. Doesn't bear thinking about if one got you on the todger :x.

Back