Moving for the Summer

Im not a robot

Hello,

I will be moving to Spain for three months in the summer.

I have the chance to work from wherever I am and intend to make the most of it this year. Last year I brought the family to Washington DC for the summer and while it was great for them, I lived there for 10+ years so while it was fun to go back, it did not feel very summer - vacation like...

This year, I will stick a toe in the water so to speak and try out the country I have my heart set on retiring in (Spain of course).

I would like to spend less than 1000 Euros/Month for a two-bedroom apartment for accommodations. Obviously, I would like to live on Ibiza or in Barcelona but I am also considering Valencia, Gibraltar, or other, less well traveled locations.

I am a current EU resident (in Latvia) so immigration rules don't apply and as mentioned above, I have a job so don't need to arrange for income. I don't speak Spanish that well but after a few weeks my Spanglish gets to the point that I can survive and I need to learn anyway...

Does anyone have any useful suggestions? I'm just starting my research so any responses will be valuable.

pretty much impossible for ibiza I'm afraid, especially if you're only looking for a place for a few months

Just out of interest what is the cost living like in Ibiza long term?

General things, rent, average house price, price of fuel. What would roughly be the average salary on the island?

Could try madrid, I live there. Big city, good clubs for partying, nice restaurants. I pay 550 rent for 1 bed and live half hour from the centre

Just out of interest what is the cost living like in Ibiza long term?

General things, rent, average house price, price of fuel. What would roughly be the average salary on the island?

well, ibiza has turned into one of spain's most expensive places to live. especially rent and house prices have gone up lots lately. you have to be really lucky to find a flat for less than 1000€/month for full year rent. and I'm not talking about anything fancy, if you search for something spacious and nice you're quickly up at 2k/month. to buy a flat, think from 300k upwards.

for north european citizens all this might not sound that expensive, but if you earn a spanish wage, which is somewhere between 1000-2000€/month (1000€ for the most basic jobs, if you earn 2k in spain, you can be happy!), then you'll see it's a tough one. also, as you can see with ali's post, rent is considerably cheaper on the mainland.

supermarket prices are the same as on the mainland (more or less). restaurants are a bit more expensive; on the mainland you can find menu del día (lunch deals) for as little as 6-7€, here it's somwhere between 10-13€ nowadays (or more for the fancy places).

unleaded fuel is normally between 1.25€-1.35€. which is also more expensive than on the mainland

Interesting. If property prices continue to grow, "locals" will not even be able to afford to rent a property never mind buy one. I can see how hard it would be to survive. Is it a case of rich people coming in buying property for holiday homes, investment, driving the prices up?

Interesting. If property prices continue to grow, "locals" will not even be able to afford to rent a property never mind buy one. I can see how hard it would be to survive. Is it a case of rich people coming in buying property for holiday homes, investment, driving the prices up?

yes that's pretty much what's already happening. plus people subletting ilegally to season workers and holidaymakers which further artificially boosts the price bubble

Back