Mountain Biking

agentundercover

Anyone else on here dabble in mountain biking? I ask as I have really just properly got into it, had my bike for a year or so, but finally got round to going to a few places with proper trails recently, last week I was here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/thenorthfacetrail

Amazing, i've been looking for something to replace the adrenaline hit I got with rugby & I may have found it! SOOOO MUCH fun, and a good way to get fit, worried more about keeping your teeth than your legs burning.

yes.. love it!!! :)

Do you do any downhill as well?

Just got back from being in New Zealand for a year and lived right near a mountain bike park so was out there a lot. I'm not very good at flying off jumps, but can do wee ones! ;)

I went heli-biking too, which was great , you pay more for the helicopter ride, but still the changing terrain downhill was fantastic. (only one majore wipeout!) And teh downhill just lasted forever.

and you can do it here, well in Western Canada anyway by using some of the ski lifts in the summer.

I've always done a lot of biking for commuting. So was doing that for about an hour each way every day....but riding off road is so much more fun!

I'm going here on Wednesday for 5 days.(not biking the WHOLE time!)

http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_40.html

I would like to get out to the Sun Peaks resort too if time, but don't think I will be doing many 'tricks'.

haven't figured out which trails I'm going to do..... sooo many to choose from. Is supposed to be 34/ 35 degrees so although I love it hot, biking for a full day in that weather is too much.

My current bike is good, but not that great, so will see how I go!

When I was a nipper I was. Bought a new steed with that bike-to-work thing, with great intentions. Have hardly been out on it, let alone off road on it (a couple of ill fated excursions).

Piling on the beef something silly right now, so need to get back into it.

Keep us posted though. I like reading about MTB stuff.

Anyone else on here dabble in mountain biking? I ask as I have really just properly got into it, had my bike for a year or so, but finally got round to going to a few places with proper trails recently, last week I was here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/thenorthfacetrail

Amazing, i've been looking for something to replace the adrenaline hit I got with rugby & I may have found it! SOOOO MUCH fun, and a good way to get fit, worried more about keeping your teeth than your legs burning.

I bought a great one from a mate a year ago that cost him the best part of £1000 a few years back. It gets a full makeover tomorrow ( new tyres, brakes,seat the works:D)..

I will then hit the trails in Epping Forest...A stones throw from where I live.:arrow:

Me too, I really like it.
Ibiza is the place for it as well.
The whole island is mapped out with mountain bike trails, I think there's about 12 of them.
All you have to do is follow the coloured arrows.

I'm also into Enduro racing on motorcycles, it's a bit like long distance motocross.
I was riding in the British Championship rounds up until 2 years ago and really want to find some time to get back into it.
Absolutely amazing sport....riding through the Welsh mountains for 100 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes.. love it!!! :)

Do you do any downhill as well?

Just got back from being in New Zealand for a year and lived right near a mountain bike park so was out there a lot. I'm not very good at flying off jumps, but can do wee ones! ;)

I went heli-biking too, which was great , you pay more for the helicopter ride, but still the changing terrain downhill was fantastic. (only one majore wipeout!) And teh downhill just lasted forever.

and you can do it here, well in Western Canada anyway by using some of the ski lifts in the summer.

I've always done a lot of biking for commuting. So was doing that for about an hour each way every day....but riding off road is so much more fun!

I'm going here on Wednesday for 5 days.(not biking the WHOLE time!)

http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_showSection_ID_40.html

I would like to get out to the Sun Peaks resort too if time, but don't think I will be doing many 'tricks'.

haven't figured out which trails I'm going to do..... sooo many to choose from. Is supposed to be 34/ 35 degrees so although I love it hot, biking for a full day in that weather is too much.

My current bike is good, but not that great, so will see how I go!

woweee - cool! Yes it is all about the downhill for me - all the up bits are good for is getting fitter & getting to a decent view.

I get bored of a straight line & need to test myself on some 1m wide single track. Yes, it needs to be a bit cooler to do it - I almost prefer when it is pi$$ing down, getting close to the elements and all.

When I was a nipper I was. Bought a new steed with that bike-to-work thing, with great intentions. Have hardly been out on it, let alone off road on it (a couple of ill fated excursions).

Keep us posted though. I like reading about MTB stuff.

It was the cycle to work that did for me. Was able to get a 600 quid bike for £35 per month for a year, barely noticed paying for it.

Get yourself out man, gets you tired, but it's a good tired!

The whole island is mapped out with mountain bike trails, I think there's about 12 of them.
All you have to do is follow the coloured arrows.

I'm also into Enduro racing on motorcycles, it's a bit like long distance motocross.
I was riding in the British Championship rounds up until 2 years ago and really want to find some time to get back into it.
Absolutely amazing sport....riding through the Welsh mountains for 100 miles.

Woweee....another reason to go....a road trip starts to form in my mind....!

Enduro sounds amazing, cue google search.

woweee - cool! Yes it is all about the downhill for me - all the up bits are good for is getting fitter & getting to a decent view.

I get bored of a straight line & need to test myself on some 1m wide single track. Yes, it needs to be a bit cooler to do it - I almost prefer when it is pi$$ing down, getting close to the elements and all.

Yes, single track is great!

I actually meant, do you do downhill biking as well as mountain biking? As in do you have a downhill bike, not just a hardtail cross country bike? I'd like to get a downhill bike one day, but when I do that, I would just hire one.

There were definitely some steep downhills on my most recent adventure over the past few days...and there was this place I was going to go which is just downhill.. as in you take the ski lifts up and bike down.. but my bike is just cross country, so not really suited.

Anyway, the highlight... ( or lowlight???) of my trip was seeing a bear 2 hours into my ride. Ack! I was doing this on my own as well and didn't see a single other person for 2 hours until I saw this damn bear! And it was soo hot! 37 degrees .. I felt light headed half the time... so dry and dusty too. I've seen bears plenty of times, from cars before.... but not when I was on my own and the only way out of the park was to go back towards the bear!!

The next day on my ride, again on my own, I only saw a few deer and moose, but luckily no bears. The worst would have been a cougar as they stalk and prey on you, adn then attack and maul you to death (as did one poor girl in that area a couple of years ago... those cougars can stalk and follow you quietly for 8 km) but bears are USUALLY scared of humans.

There were some tracks I went on where the trails had fallen trees over and had some close calls.. Only one major fall but at least I have a massive bruise on my leg to prove it! :lol: :lol: I'm hoping to get out to the mountains a couple more times before. after I have a major fall like that, I always get really nervous and usually end up falling because I'm being over careful!

Whilst exploring the island by car this year I thought it would be a good place to come and do some winter training as it will be a dman site warmer than the UK and ....well...it's IBIZA!, the downside is getting your bike over there , if you are lucky you can get on Ryan air for about £30 extra each way.

I actually meant, do you do downhill biking as well as mountain biking? As in do you have a downhill bike, not just a hardtail cross country bike? I'd like to get a downhill bike one day, but when I do that, I would just hire one.

There were definitely some steep downhills on my most recent adventure over the past few days...and there was this place I was going to go which is just downhill.. as in you take the ski lifts up and bike down.. but my bike is just cross country, so not really suited.

Anyway, the highlight... ( or lowlight???) of my trip was seeing a bear 2 hours into my ride. Ack! I was doing this on my own as well and didn't see a single other person for 2 hours until I saw this damn bear! And it was soo hot! 37 degrees .. I felt light headed half the time... so dry and dusty too. I've seen bears plenty of times, from cars before.... but not when I was on my own and the only way out of the park was to go back towards the bear!!

The next day on my ride, again on my own, I only saw a few deer and moose, but luckily no bears. The worst would have been a cougar as they stalk and prey on you, adn then attack and maul you to death (as did one poor girl in that area a couple of years ago... those cougars can stalk and follow you quietly for 8 km) but bears are USUALLY scared of humans.

There were some tracks I went on where the trails had fallen trees over and had some close calls.. Only one major fall but at least I have a massive bruise on my leg to prove it! :lol: :lol: I'm hoping to get out to the mountains a couple more times before. after I have a major fall like that, I always get really nervous and usually end up falling because I'm being over careful!

I know what you mean...over here in the UK that kind of trekking can be equally fraught with danger.. Last time I went for a hike I was tailed by a wasp for 3 yards...

:lol:

Cougars sound shocking - can they ride bikes to:lol:?

Yes, a hard tail, - I have a Specialized Hardrock Pro 07 (before they were despec'd) - like this but in a fetching green.
27271_1_Zoom.jpg

I need some bike advice please!

I want to buy a bike to ride to work, and possibly venture out to a bike track maybe when I get a bit more confident.
What kind of bike should I buy for my first bike? Should I get a ladies one as I am a ladieeeee... or will a man's / unisex one be ok?
I don't want to spend too much, but don't want a pile of tosh either. Any websites that sell decent bikes please pass on :)

Back