Moscow

TheRealSimon

Off to Moscow next weekend and figure what better place to ask about quality nightlife than the Spotlight community... ;) Anyone able to recommend some decent venues to keep us going in the wee small hours?

You've come to the right place... and good timing.

Next week's lineup absolutely ROCKS! Unforunately, I'll be out of town on a business trip next week, which absolutely SUCKS!

Here's your schedule:

Thursday
- Sanches Thursdays @ Propaganda. Local residents Sanches and Gleb 9

Commentary - don't know when you arrive but I thought I'd put this in just in case. Sanchez has been rocking it for 7 years and it's still the top house night on Thursdays.

Friday
- Tiesto @ Club Gaudi
- John Digweed @ Club XIII (i.e. Club 13)

Commentary - Club XIII is my favorite club in town but it just reopened this summer after 2 years shut, and hasn't returned to all its glory yet in terms of crowds. I'm sure the presence of Mr. Digweed will change that, however. Resident DJs Miller and Grad are also quite good. Gaudi is more of a big rave-type club (under 4 huge towering empty grain towers!) but if it's as packed as it was last night, I recommend springing for VIP tix)

Saturday
- Creamfields Russia @ Hermitage Gardens (Sad Ermitazh) - Audio Bulleys, Pete Tong, X-Press 2, Jimmy Van M, John Digweed, Futureshock, Infusion, and top local DJs Grad, Meshkov, Kubikov and Sanches
- Trance Party @ Club Gaudi - Insigma, The Thrillseekers, DJs Pulser, Mike Koglin, Sungirl & Kailo
- Anton Klamaran (France) @ L'eto
- Pan/Tone (Germany) @ Mix
- Creamfields After-Party @ Club XIII - Pete Tong, Infusion, Jimmy Van M

Commentary: Creamfields is taking place at a park in the middle of town, which is pretty cool. Great line-up as well... I'm not sure how they're going to fit 3 venues in that park, though, so I have a feeling at least one of them will be inside a former nightclub at the edge of that park. In any case, if you're not sightseeing, you've got to go. For the evening program, there's a few options depending on what you're into but I'd be at XIII if I were here. Later on (I mean after 4am) head over to Mix for the best after-party in town and some electro house and minimal techno, this week with a special guest joining the residents. Careful if you try to go to L'eto - they have fascist face control.

Addresses:
Propaganda - Bolshoi Zlatoutinsky pereulok, 7
XIII - Myasnitskaya ulitsa 13
Sad Ermitazh - Karetny ryad
L'eto - Yauzskaya ulitsa 1/15
Mix - Novinsky bulvar 11 (near US Embassy)
Gaudi - Skladochnaya Ulitsa (note: it's hard to find and not too central.. in a big warehouse district)

Other venues that I like include Fabrique (house), Mio (electro/techno) and First (glamour, pop house, strict face control).

Have fun, and please let me know how it goes!

Do you know where you're staying?

Fantastic info, thanks!

Arrive on Friday, there's gonna be a bit of regular tourist stuff happening then so Saturday looks like main party night (Bolshoi on Sunday o_O). Creamfields looks win so will definitely try and make that!

Staying at the Marriot Royal.

Will report back next week, cheers again for taking the time to answer!

Propka is wicked - that's a hell of a schedule! Creamfields in Russia would just be carnage. Pencil me in for next year 8)

Mark Sun said:
Propka is wicked - that's a hell of a schedule! Creamfields in Russia would just be carnage. Pencil me in for next year 8)
You've definitely gotta make it out for that next year.

I'm totally bummed that I'm missing it... away on business Thursday-Sunday :(

morbyd ! friend is going to moscow this sunday morning til wednesday,
staying in the "Marriott Moscow Grand Hotel".
first time, so any idea who offers the best sightseeing-tours ?
and is anything special going on ?

Marriott Grand is a nice hotel. About 5 blocks from where I live too. Very nice Sunday brunch.

A Kremlin tour is a must, of course. You can sign up right at the entrance. Also take a walk around Red Sq, see Lenin's tomb, etc.

Pushkin museum is nice. They've got a Picasso exhibit at the moment. There's also a good photography exhibit festival going on right now in venues like the Manezh, the Museum of Modern Art (Tverskoi blvd and Gogolevsky blvd galleries) and Ekaterina Fund. And an exhibit of Russian avant-garde at the Garage Center for Contemporary Culture.

Nothing else special going on that I know of. I'm not much of a weekday clubber so hard to think of what will be hopping in terms of nightlife.

There's a fun clubbers' Sunday brunch over at Lootch. Tonight there are gay night at Propaganda and r&b night at Garage (not to be confused with the Garage CCC referenced above) tonight - both small clubs that really get going on Sundays. The No Mondays party at Galleria is supposed to be a good time but I haven't been in principle because I don't like the venue, but it's only about a 15min walk from your friend's hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, tell your friend to have dinner one night at Cafe Pushkin. It's a tourist mecca but it's actually a decent place for a nice dinner of Russian cuisine. It's right on Pushkin Square, which is a 5 minute walk from that hotel.

I'd also recommend a dinner of Georgian food if he's got time. Best Georgian restaurant in town is a place called Elargy on Gagarinsky pereulok (street)

1+++. perfect. thanks.

is there a certain company which does sightseeingtours by bus you can recommend ?
if possible one of those cabrio-double-decker-busses ...

they are waiting since 3 hours for their ****ing visas at sheremetyevo.

ps:
company said they are NOT allowed to use the subway ...

That's stupid... the subway is perfectly safe (aside from pickpockets :lol:)
7 million people use it every day.
Are they not allowed to use the subway in London too?

No, no sightseeing buses, unfortunately. At least, not ones like you see in London, for example. I expect there must be some organized tours you can take. Maybe the hotel can recommend something.

No, unfortunately. They only did it a couple of years.

No really good open-air parties on that scale in Moscow anymore for some reason, unless you like psytrance, drum & bass, and partying with ridiculously whacked-out teenagers.

Global Gathering and Sensation both do big events in St Pete, and there are a couple of annual home-grown ones (FortDance was the best) but they're also up in that area. Gatecrasher just had their annual big Moscow gig this weekend.

oh well, nevermind. to be honest, there are always seems to be so much going on in moscow most weekends, that i'm happy to take my chances on any random weekend.

Also, tell your friend to have dinner one night at Cafe Pushkin.
It's a tourist mecca but it's actually a decent place
for a nice dinner of Russian cuisine.
It's right on Pushkin Square, which is a 5 minute walk from that hotel ...
they went there last night !
liked it :)
thanks again.

ps:
ridiculous - that hotel charges 30 $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for 24hours internet ...

It's a Marriott... what do you expect? :!:

There are 5 coffee shops within a block of that place... some of them should have free WiFi

their impression so far:
russian men - mostly grumpy farts, not good looking (with few exceptions)
russian women - hot, running around with highheels all day
gum - amazing, but most salespeople speak not one word ****ing english + unfriendly
they made all sightseeing by foot, because hotel in good location for touristy stuff
somewhere between hotel and red place megabillboard for sls amg
apart from russki men great city overall, want to go back with more time ...

saw some reports @ tv about amazing heat and smog in moscow right now.
is it really that bad ?

Back