Mortgage Advice...

With reference to your typically sanctimonious last line, it would take more than your sub sixth form belief that anyone who doesn't live in a squat and have a stone age existence is some puppet of the bankers to reflect on how i live my life.

Your life may be easier if you accept that the world, for all it's faults, is not evil, but full of people who are aware, intelligent and caring without having to sit in a teepee on a weekend to prove it to others.

Relax, take a quaalude. It wasn't aimed at you. It's a very general statement which you're choosing to react to.

The world isn't perfect - it's in chaos...and I'm quite enjoying my car crash phase of questioning everything.

It's my version of truth so let me sit in it with all my 6th form naivety please.

maybe my attitude would change if I came into money, but at present really not arsed about buying a home and suddenly discovering an interest in black & decker machinery and looking smugly each morning over the fence at the neighbour's dysfunctional collection of gnomes. Each to their own but I really don't care. I live to survive and where I live is just shelter. It's transient, it's rootless, it's London. You just do what you need to. Maybe I will meet someone amazing and have a family. Who knows? But right now am not ready for all that. And later in life? I never think about it - I don't plan or save or anything. It's all in the hands of Allah. If I am destined to end my days in a state hospice being cared for by someone who looks like Jo Brand, then so be it. That might in fact be preferable to going back and forth to the shops on buses being terrorised by urban mutants. Either way, we are all going to hate being old and incontinent and stuck in armchairs watching Nicky Campbell on the box patronising us day after day. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it. That is our collective destiny. Unless someone kindly offers ends it for us when we hit 69. Where do I sign?

Right, so I wanna mortgage. No property in mind yet but would be looking at around £160,000 or thereabouts. I have access to deposit money of £10,000 to about £20,000 at a push.

You need a bigger deposit if poss
15% is pretty much necessary to get any type of decent rate..... makes huge differnence on repayments
20% is where the interest rates reallyreduce

Not sure if anyone is even offering LTV 90% at the moment

maybe my attitude would change if I came into money, but at present really not arsed about buying a home and suddenly discovering an interest in black & decker machinery and looking smugly each morning over the fence at the neighbour's dysfunctional collection of gnomes. Each to their own but I really don't care. I live to survive and where I live is just shelter. It's transient, it's rootless, it's London. You just do what you need to. Maybe I will meet someone amazing and have a family. Who knows? But right now am not ready for all that. And later in life? I never think about it - I don't plan or save or anything. It's all in the hands of Allah. If I am destined to end my days in a state hospice being cared for by someone who looks like Jo Brand, then so be it. That might in fact be preferable to going back and forth to the shops on buses being terrorised by urban mutants. Either way, we are all going to hate being old and incontinent and stuck in armchairs watching Nicky Campbell on the box patronising us day after day. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it. That is our collective destiny. Unless someone kindly offers ends it for us when we hit 69. Where do I sign?

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would you want to do a thing like that?

the 2 paragraphs sound kinda similar in parts dont you think:lol::lol:

Bugger me...is this the inimitable Bez of tambourine/'drop acid not bombs'/mondays/grapes fame?

8)

If the answer is "no" then the instruction at this point is to lie. ;)

Bugger me...is this the inimitable Bez of tambourine/'drop acid not bombs'/mondays/grapes fame?

It was maracas actually and re the invitation at the top of the post....I rather not thanks......at least not without a plank tied to my a-rse ;)

Lots of angry people.

Anyway, repayments WILL be less than rental value so as you say, if things get bad I can run away and still make money or, which is preferable to me anyway, move away and rent and leave the place ticking along.

With regards to the 10%, I was informed this by my brothers girlfriend who is a mortgage advisor and knows her stuff. It's in a decent area and she said she would be suprised if it didn't.

Lots of stuff is happening this weekend. Anyway...

P. S. - All this squat bollocks means nothing. I believe that nothing should be owned, we shouldn't have a currency and every man should be for himself. But the scene in Human Traffic with the greasy guy stuffing money in her mouth in the burger shop pretty much sums everything up nicely I think.

Lots of angry people.

Anyway, repayments WILL be less than rental value so as you say, if things get bad I can run away and still make money or, which is preferable to me anyway, move away and rent and leave the place ticking along.

With regards to the 10%, I was informed this by my brothers girlfriend who is a mortgage advisor and knows her stuff. It's in a decent area and she said she would be suprised if it didn't.

Lots of stuff is happening this weekend. Anyway...

P. S. - All this squat bollocks means nothing. I believe that nothing should be owned, we shouldn't have a currency and every man should be for himself. But the scene in Human Traffic with the greasy guy stuffing money in her mouth in the burger shop pretty much sums everything up nicely I think.

Your earnings will go up. Events will happen that mean you come into bit. Don't necessarily base the decision on the here and now. We got a bit, threw it at the mortgage & it's ours in 9 years. That's close enough to smell.

Seems rather strange that a few people here are automatically equating buying a house with calling it a day and spending the rest of ones life in front of a TV and working as a tax inspector.
It really doesn't have to be like that.
I think right now there has been a substantial drop in property prices and could be a quite a good time to buy.
True, nobody knows for sure....But as history has dictated, the odds are really on your side.
Olly, with regards to the predicted future of us all in a council care home.... Forget it.... Aim for something better!
A beach, sunny climate and long lazy days in a hammock.

You just sell the house you bought back in 2010.

"jjinit said:
blah blah plank ar$e blah

Yawn. :rolleyes:

Lots of angry people.

Quite liked that bit but then you had to ruin it and get your oar in as well didn't you? :lol: ;)

Super Polack said:
All this squat bollocks means nothing.

It's an interesting discussion to be had.

It depends what you're talking about when you refer to 'squat bollocks'.

The assumption is that in order to be accepted in some kind of parallel class, you have to stop washing, wave those annoying poi things around and have a skanky jack russell on a bit of string.

Actually that's not the case as most squat communities contain people from a variety of social backgrounds. For the most part they're overwhelmingly friendly and inspiring with a general ethos that everyone has something to contribute.

Yes, they're highly politicised but the general feeling is a welcoming one.

...Even to those with mortgages. :eek:

You need a bigger deposit if poss
15% is pretty much necessary to get any type of decent rate..... makes huge differnence on repayments
20% is where the interest rates reallyreduce

Not sure if anyone is even offering LTV 90% at the moment[/QUOTE]

We are doing 90% with Halifax but the rates arent great........and you are right there are not many around. I wouldnt choose to go with Halifax myself as I think they are a55holes but was one of the only places that could help us.

Just had an offer accepted on a new house. erswhoperdy whoop.

Problem is selling ours. May elect to rent it out & commence the empire building.

Anyone here rent out? Any pitfalls to avoid - advice on cost? cheers:D

Yes, I rent out.
Just look out for the Capital Gains tax which will probably go as high as double from 22nd June.
Maybe talk to an accountant....you could put one of the properties in another name.
Use a good agent...who will normally take 1 months rent to find tenants and look after things for you.
If you are in the East London area I can give you details of mine.

Back