More Taxi nonsense

grego

Last night about 5am at amnesia, the taxis drivers held a manifestación against all the pirates taxis that operate on the island.

so not content with the fact they have one of the most monopolised businesses on the island, they have to resort to threatening people who happen to be working (like me) and DJs trying to get their lift home.

apparently, the only way people are allowed to transport other people around the allowed by car is if it is in a marked cab. Sh!t, does that mean i can't take my mum to the airport!

Can someone explain why there arent more taxi drivers? theres obviously a need , does it pay really bad? shortage of cars?

Interesting , what are your / people on the island's thoughts? To me the granting of more licences wouldnt take any business away from current drivers in the summer , theres ALWAYS people needing a taxi somewhere surely?

Last night about 5am at amnesia, the taxis drivers held a manifestación against all the pirates taxis that operate on the island.

so not content with the fact they have one of the most monopolised businesses on the island, they have to resort to threatening people who happen to be working (like me) and DJs trying to get their lift home.

apparently, the only way people are allowed to transport other people around the allowed by car is if it is in a marked cab. Sh!t, does that mean i can't take my mum to the airport!

It's a delicate subjest to say the least. I can fully understand their anger towards Illegal taxi's taking their business, they pay their social security, taxes , liscenses etc etc, then these illegals are taking business form under their nose. I'll be the first to admit, I have used illegal taxi's once or twice, and the reason ?? There wasn't a single legal taxi around, they wouldnt come, or not enough available. :spank:

Then the taxi's moan about extra taxi's being made available ( a la Stephens article ).

You can't bloody win :spank:

It's a delicate subjest to say the least. I can fully understand their anger towards Illegal taxi's taking their business, they pay their social security, taxes , liscenses etc etc, then these illegals are taking business form under their nose. I'll be the first to admit, I have used illegal taxi's once or twice, and the reason ?? There wasn't a single legal taxi around, they wouldnt come, or not enough available. :spank:

Then the taxi's moan about extra taxi's being made available ( a la Stephens article ).

You can't bloody win :spank:

Yup, I remember a DJ at a certain villa party sorting you out a dodgy taxi.....

yeah and when they all go (160kmh min speed) back to the villas in the hills at the end of a hard shift.......well you've just gotta feel for the poor blighters.

If people have a choice they will always take a legal taxi over an illegal one , so surely the best way to get rid of the illegal ones is to have more legal ones? If they in such demand there must be loads of people who would gladly do it as a job?

Yup, I remember a DJ at a certain villa party sorting you out a dodgy taxi.....

3 or 4 times then ;) He wasnt off his tree though, some of them early morning :eek:

yeah and when they all go (160kmh min speed) back to the villas in the hills at the end of a hard shift.......well you've just gotta feel for the poor blighters.

I've had some real scary experiences, esp on the old road from san an to ibiza town before they improved the raod :eek: Scared the crap out of me. I've gotten out of a couple before my journeys end, not good, esp when your a bit woo and wey. :evil:

If people have a choice they will always take a legal taxi over an illegal one , so surely the best way to get rid of the illegal ones is to have more legal ones? If they in such demand there must be loads of people who would gladly do it as a job?

logical but as stephen's article shows it's not as simple as that.

can you imagine, in the UK, or elsewhere not being able to ring up a private hire car? they have a total (legal) monopoly over the market, sure it must breach EU competition policy. in fact, i know it does!

i'd love to do it. i'd have my 5 bed villa in the hills after one summer!

logical but as stephen's article shows it's not as simple as that.

can you imagine, in the UK, or elsewhere not being able to ring up a private hire car? they have a total (legal) monopoly over the market, sure it must breach EU competition policy. in fact, i know it does!

i'd love to do it. i'd have my 5 bed villa in the hills after one summer!

A friend of mine here does it (Legally), he has an SP plate on the back of his car (servicio publico), before he was legal he got followed, car vandalised and even smacked at Alicante airport once :eek:

So basically now, he's like an undercover taxi :lol:

it basically all comes down to the crazy 6 months of everything 6 months of nothing scenario. yer average taxi in san juan does 2 trips a week in winter so they need as much as they can in summer and if there are more taxis the share of the spoils is that much less.

it's the same with buses - they gear up for summer and still there aren't enough buses, yet the depots are full of buses going nowhere all winter.

it really is a problem...............

how can they really stop it ???

Does that mean if I give people a lift in the car i've hired in September, I can be considered an illegal taxi? :lol:

bit like the way they draft in rozzers from other parts of spain during summer. sure they still do this

In june when bording the ferry it was full of Guardia heading to Ibiza :eek: I was shi77ing it :lol:

Same here mate, about an extra 50 come to Javea, they ship em in from the small inland towns and villages.

how can they really stop it ???

Does that mean if I give people a lift in the car i've hired in September, I can be considered an illegal taxi? :lol:

Difficult to control, i think the best way is to catch them looking for business. ie hanging aroun Club exits whispering loudly in a dodgy Italian accent 'taxi...?' :lol:

We were planning to get a taxi to Pacha and then another one to airport to drop someone off and then to the villa that night, thank God decided to drive after all because the sight at the airport around 4.30 wasn't pretty!

Back