Miami WMC

MuffinM

Hi guys
New to this forum, but often lurk around the summer to find out about good stuff in ibiza.
Anyway am posting now as have just booked to go to Miami for the winter music conference, which I am VERY excited about, and I just wondered if anyone had any good tips in terms of the best parties to go to, whats on etc etc...
Any advice would be very gratefully received!!!!
Thanks!

Hey, well I went to wmc last yr and I went to the conference not just the parties... There is a book that you can try and get your hands on called "The List" and it tell you everything going on..I think u can get it from the wmc website. I enjoyed the Nikki Beach parties, the ultra fest and the club space has a lot of good events. I'm going this yr as well, cant wait!
~~~~~~REGINA*

Thanks for your reply!
I think I have subscribed to The List - haven't received anything yet so not entirely sure!
Was wondering though how difficult it is to get into the parties. We have a friend out there who works for DJ Mag so he will sort us out wherever he can, but he won't be able to for everything. Can you usually pay on the door or get passes elsewhere? And how tricky is it to get into the pool parties etc.?
Thanks very much - all much appreciated!!!
Abby x

Hey well when I went I really didn't have any problems getting into anything, we just pretty much walked up to the door and paid. The only thing I didn't get into was PVD w/ Sander Kleinenberg, the line was ridiculous and they said no one was getting in without tix. People were selling tix that didnt want to go but we didnt buy them because from the looks of the line it seemed like it would be to crowded anyways, so we went somewhere else. I didnt go to the pool parties because I was staying at the hotel where the conference was and we had our own pool party everyday so there was really no point to leave. As for Nikki Beach - GET THERE EARLY! We got there early and it filled up quickly. It got so crowded we couldn't take it anymore and left, the line to get in when we were leaving was out of control. There was really no more room for anyone else except for when 1 leaves 1 can come in. We probably waited 20 min to get in and the line wasnt that long at the time. I would suggest planning what you want to go to in advance and see if you could get on a guest list or buy tickets, but if you dont you will still pretty much get in everywhere. Also the dress code wasn't really too dressy at most places. Jeans and sneakers were ok.
~~~~~~~~~~~~REGINA*

What day is the Nikki beach party???
I have this feeling it's the friday, and we only arrive on friday.
Still, will be lots of other stuff.

Thanks for all the advice!

it is on friday but should go all day, I think they might have more than 1 party there but not sure...but the big party is definately on fri, sat at nikki is a dj from NY, Jonathan Peters, he is the type of dj that is hit or miss, when he's good he's really good and when he's bad it's really bad.
~~~~~~~~~~REGINA*

Initial line ups for Ultra Festival on the Saturday have been announced :

House / Trance / Techno / Electro
The Prodigy, Paul van Dyke, Carl Cox, Errick Morrillo, Oakenfold, Richie Hawtin, Hernan Cattaneo, Mauro Picotto, Armand van Helden, Benny Bennassi, Josh Wink, Sander Kleinenberg, Danny Howells, Infected Mushroom, Nic Fanculli, Seb Fontaine, Junior Sanchez, Adam Beyer, Mistress Barbara, Chris Leibing, DFuse, Harry 'Choo choo' Romero, Jorge Jamerillo, Murk.

D'n'B / Breaks / Miami Bass
Fabio & Grooverider, Photek, DJ Craze, Adam F, Shy FX & T Power, DJ Zinc, LemonD and Dillinja, DJ Dekline and Wizzard

more to follow.......................................

Wmc

Hi Muffin,

welcome to the forum... I was at WMC last year and cannot recommend it enough. I am returning this year too and already have UMF tix sorted - they were giving away a free UMF 2005 DVD with every 'early bird' ticket bought during Xmas week.

I would strongly advise you to subscribe to a few web lists... the list, WMC's own site plus www.cooljunkie.com. There is also the M3 summit which has a few things going on - pool parties are covered by this. Also, I hear that radio 1 is not going to Nikki Beach this year but defected will be hosting the Friday party instead... still don't know if this is defo confirmed yet. As for getting in - it's cool almost everywhere unless you arrive late, dress code is more relaxed than usual Miami (so am told by locals). Watch out for the lines - as was mentioned above, it was just as difficult to get OUT as it was to get in. I queued for the radio 1 party at 10:30 am, got in at 12:45.. it was a very hot day and people were passing out in line. When attempting to get out at 5 pm, had to push my way through the bouncers and people blocking the doorway - line was around the block.

Just a couple of more things re: UMF - if u take your digi camera you need to hide it on the way in as they are quite anal about this.. disposables available inside. Secondly, when buying drinks you get a voucher to present at the bar just behind the cash till TOP TIP.. purchase as many vouchers as you can the first time and then push in past the cash tills when yo need to get your next drink.. it annoys some people but is totally allowed by the staff.

PM me if u need more info or just want to chat
Hope to see you there

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm travelling over from the UK on my lonesome. If anyone would like to meet up at some point during the week don't hesitate to let me know !!

Ah, it def looks like we will miss the nikki beach friday party then. Our flight lands at 1410, so unless we decide on a baptism of fire and go straight there, we will be too late.
Steve UK, am def going to subscribe to that list, thanks very much. Do you reckon UMF is worth it? I found a few reviews of the last few years, and it looked like it could be a bit of a bunfight. What do you think?
Any other recommendations would be great!
There will be 2 of us, me and my friend em, so we are def up for meeting lots of people too. The more the merrier!

ETA that the cool junkie site looks great!

Bit of a Nikki Beach WMC 2006 update for you

"On Thursday 23rd March 2006 Defected will be hosting its first ever all – dayer at Nikki Beach in Miami. This will be a non stop 17 hour party in one of Miami's most famous venues -Nikki Beach. Defected’s Miami WMC 2006 line ups include: Bob Sinclar, Danny Krivit, Quentin Harris, Joey Negro, Junior Jack & Kid Crème, Sandy Rivera, Martin Solveig, DJ Spen, Copyright, Aaron Ross, Andy Daniell, Chus, Jay J, Hardsoul, Simon Dunmore, Dimitri From Paris TBC, Soulfuric (Brian Tappert / John Julius Knight) TBC, Dennis Ferrer TBC, Blaze TBC and Barbara Tucker LIVE."

So looks like the Friday could still be free for something equally quality - see you at the front !!

Ultra is definately worth it in my opinion, it was my favorite day there. All my fave dj's were there and probably since it was my first time i was in awe. It's really weird to be outside dancing with the whole city background ( large buildings) behind you, its really cool. Plus there is so much going on there. There is something for everyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~REGINA*

this will be my 5th WMC, and after ibiza, it is my fav week of the year......i went to ultra my first year, loved it, hated it my 2nd year and havent gone back. i am not a fan of huge festival type atmospheres.....i would suggest getting some tickets to parties in advance......going to space for afterhours every night (here is their unconfirmed line-up) hitting up as MANY day/pool parties as you can, and seeing some djs that you done get to see at home.....both big names, and smaller local talent. dont get me wrong, i love the nyc djs, but i can roger sanchez and erick morillo every month or so, but you dont get too many chances to see david guetta, sandy rivera, bob sinclair, nic fanciulli, loc dice....etc. so take advantage!!!!

Space's Unconfirmed Line-Up
SUNDAY MARCH 19 ERIK MORILLO AFTEHOURS
MON MARCH 20 SPACE RESIDENTS CEDRIC GERVAIS, IVANO BELLINI and many many more.
TUES MARCH 21 MEGANITE with MARCO COROLLO, MARIO PICOTTO, MARIO PU and more.
WED MARCH 22 ARMADA PARTY Arvmin Van Burren and more tba
THUR MARCH 23 LIGHTS OUT STEVE LAWLER, OSCAR G + MURK and many more.
ON TERRACE OLIVE HENRY, RICARDO V and many many more
FRI MARCH 24 PVD, EDGAR V, plus many more
EVERYBODY SANDER KLEINENBERG and friends on Terrace
SAT MARCH 25 DEEP DISH YO****OSHI Nic Faniculli, Berouz, Envy, Pete Tong, plus many many more.
On terrace Danny Howells, Evil Nine plus many more tba

SUN MARCH 26 SUBLIMINAL PARTY with ERIK MORILLO, HARRY CHOO CHOO ROMERO, STEVEN ANGELLO, plus a very special guest tba
MON MARCH 27 ? (cannot confirm so a major major major act stay tuned)
TUES MARCH 28 ROGER SANCHEZ and Friends RELEASE YOURSELF

........top tip......when you arrive in Miami, take a bottle of water with you when you get off the plane......oh...and go to the toilet too.....because you are going to be in the queue for Immigration for at LEAST an hour and a half.......

Great thread....good info here.
I too will be visiting Miami over the conference. I'm looking around for hotels.
Would you all recommend staying in South Beach, or would the north end of Collins Avenue be OK?
I want to be close to the action, but not really sure where is best to stay? ie: Where is Nikki Beach, and Space etc?
TA!!

Nikki beach is part of the Penrods complex at the very southern most end of South beach.

The the majority of other clubs, lounges and bars (ie Mansion, Opium Gardens, Crobar, Mynt etc) are also in South beach along with most of the boutique hotels which host events (ie Delano, Shelbourne etc)

Space, I/O and Club NV are in downtown Miami - you'll need to get a taxi (quite pricey at about $2 per mile) or hire car to get there from south beach.

There is a (passable) bus service from North beach to south beach so staying there is an option. It's also generally easier to find a room here. SoBe is filling up fast !!

scousejohn said:
........top tip......when you arrive in Miami, take a bottle of water with you when you get off the plane......oh...and go to the toilet too.....because you are going to be in the queue for Immigration for at LEAST an hour and a half.......

Absolutley agree with this. Immigration in the US is always a long wait (worse since 9/11) and even stricter in Miami due to the high level of drugs that are smuggled through the route.

SoBe

Hey Pacha Cha,

I stay at the Holiday Inn on Collins which is the north end of SoBe (if that makes sense) and it takes me about 15-20 mins to walk down to Ocean drive/Nikki Beach.. then again there are so many distractions along the way it actually takes longer ! :) As someone said before... Space is downtown and according to the taxi drivers.. not a very nice area to wander around let alone stay in a hotel. If ur there 21 - 28 March or something close we could meet up and share costs if u like. That goes for anyone else on this thread.

cheers

Steve

Back