Matter in 02 LNDN

hauskitten

No longer active
Considering this either next Sat or the Sat after so would appreciate some feedback on the venue , crowd etc :D thanks guys :D

amazing soundsystem. crap location , bit clean and polished. Bit like fabric with all the dirt (good bits) filterd out . Felt abit like a clubby leisure center to me:)

the 19th looks pretty decent - tom middleton and greg wilson in the other room

not yet been to that venue (although have seen gigs at O2 and inigo) - be aware transport can be hell if you´re not prepared!

It's the closest thing I've experienced to Ibiza clubs in the UK.. Great soundsystem, very clean and modern. Nice touches like all the barstaff are well trained so do tricks and such. Drinks prices are pretty reasonable as well.

Only problem is the location.. Real pain in the ass to get to. If it wasn't for that I would go there far more often. 19th does look good though, maybe I can persuade some people to give it a go.

Oh and the crowd, last time I was there in june it was Moby (who actually killed it) and Trentemoller. The crowd was very cosmopolitan and mixed. Lots of good looking people, fair few Italian/Spanish + Scandinavian looking types. Thats another reason I really like it there. Shame that a lot of people I know would only venture there for Hopsitality nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it said on the website you could park there is this right? I can deal with glam people and posers thats sound as long as theres no attitude of the aggresive type ! I've only ever been clubbing in London once and this was to see Tiesto in Alexandra Palace which was very stupid considering my views on him but I went with friends. I can't decide which date to do.. i love Nic Fanciulli but haven't seen Josh Wink before ... my only experiance of tom Middleton is catching the end of his set at Gatecrasher soundsystem he was playing a strange mix of soulja boy and Van Halens jump or something to about 20 people in a huge tent !

if you´re not 100% sure about matter, I would suggest shoreditch instead - millions of places you can move on to if one club doesn´t suit your needs - check listings for east village(best line ups by a mile), zigfrid, 333, queens of hoxton etc

however, forget about driving to shoreditch - parking stasi are on patrol 24/7 :!:

+ avoid aquarium (evil), herbal (almost as bad) & Browns (unless you´re into gentleman´s clubs)

Will defo keep Cocoon in mind then :) Whats Shoreditch is it a place? That sounds really stupid I know lol I wanted to go and see Paul Woolford again

I wouldnt put a night out in shoreditch in the same league as going to somewhere like matter. there is loads of little places but most things are closed by 3. East Village does have the best lineups in the area but if your looking for a night of clubbing i dont think shoeditch hits the mark. Herbal and Aquarium are the 2 late night venues and both have bad track records. To be honest id go to Matter . Shoreditch to me is a collection of bars which is fine but if you want a big clubby night out i tend to look elsewhere

I wouldnt put a night out in shoreditch in the same league as going to somewhere like matter. there is loads of little places but most things are closed by 3. East Village does have the best lineups in the area but if your looking for a night of clubbing i dont think shoeditch hits the mark. Herbal and Aquarium are the 2 late night venues and both have bad track records. To be honest id go to Matter . Shoreditch to me is a collection of bars which is fine but if you want a big clubby night out i tend to look elsewhere

I guess it depends on what you´re after - shoreditch certainly isn`t what it was 5-10 years back, and can get a bit townie on saturdays but pretty much every promoter worth his salt still puts parties on there for the older crowds who don´t want the hassle of fabric, egg etc - there´s loads of smaller parties going on up the kingsland road in Dalston but a lot of these are facebook invite jobs, which are completely under the radar

if it´s specifically Woolford Miss Kitten wants to check, then the above is, of course, pretty academic :lol:

I agree with what people have said about Matter.

The actual venue is great. Massive toilets so never more than 5 mins queuing. Massive bars so again very small time spent queuing for a drink even when busy.

Sound system great, and visuals also good. (well they were the first couple times I went for PvD and Saved, not so good for Bedrock)

Crowd wise can be hit and miss I've found. You always get your typically loud essex group of lads there, some times more than you'd like but essentially its pretty much a broad spectrum of people.

My next trip there will probably be Bedrocks birthday in October.

Venue is ace and the allusions with the grand clubs of Ibiza are certainly fair and echo my initial thoughts. They have got the design very right indeed and deserve a lot of credit for making all the boring practical stuff really well executed (queues, drinks, toilets etc).

The crowd can also be compared to popular 'English' Ibiza clubs (WLS etc), though for me that's certainly less cosmopolitan and basically your middle of the road crowd. There will be 20% of them that are walk in types from whatever's on at the 02 (more on that later).

The problem lies in it's location. You'll have to close your eyes and swim against a sea of people leaving the 02 proper for the Disney Presents Strictly Kings Of Leon On Ice crowd. It is then when you walk in that you realise that all the people that are there that early are from the perfomcance, and to a man dressed in shirts and shiny shoes. No big thing, but I can't deny it doesn't throw you a touch.

Later on, if the do is popular enough, the place will thin out and you'll be left with the hardcore lot though you will have to be patient for this.

Both times Ive been I saw Laurent Garnier and Todd Terry/Morales. although they were both on Fridays, the lack of people in there (not stupidly empty, but enough not to open any of the other rooms) actually made me lose my faith in the London clubbing scene (for a few days).

All reports I've heard are that numbers have taken a massive hit due to the closing of the Jubilee line and the awful lack of decent promotion by the in house team. My faith was ignited with the reports of the first Sven bash going on to past midday, though after hearing that I was dismayed to hear the second one didn't even sell out and was emptying out by 5ish.

For that reason I will only return when I know there is a whopping great massive headliner on, and I'm guaranteed it'll be busy and I can see it at full flow (and what sight it wuill be!) Frankly that narrows it down to Tenaglia and Tenaglia only (assuming RV's tied to Fabric).

I can think of no other (big room) venues I'd rather be if you could guarantee it's full to the rafters.

Agree with all of the above, can't fault the layout, Long bars, good bathrooms, nice smoking/outside area (I quite like the view of canary wharf). Last time my friends went they loved it, I thought it was OK but not great. Kind of had a warehouse feel to it, I just felt it needed more people. A lot more people.

I saw Sharam (Deep Dish) who was very good, friendly crowd, made some friends, talked some nonsense:rolleyes:. It has a lot of potential. Also i liked the fact they gave free shots of expresso or brandy to people on the hike round from the O2.

Not many options nearby except for THAT which is an excellent club.

Venue is ace and the allusions with the grand clubs of Ibiza are certainly fair and echo my initial thoughts. They have got the design very right indeed and deserve a lot of credit for making all the boring practical stuff really well executed (queues, drinks, toilets etc).

The crowd can also be compared to popular 'English' Ibiza clubs (WLS etc), though for me that's certainly less cosmopolitan and basically your middle of the road crowd. There will be 20% of them that are walk in types from whatever's on at the 02 (more on that later).

The problem lies in it's location. You'll have to close your eyes and swim against a sea of people leaving the 02 proper for the Disney Presents Strictly Kings Of Leon On Ice crowd. It is then when you walk in that you realise that all the people that are there that early are from the perfomcance, and to a man dressed in shirts and shiny shoes. No big thing, but I can't deny it doesn't throw you a touch.

Later on, if the do is popular enough, the place will thin out and you'll be left with the hardcore lot though you will have to be patient for this.

Both times Ive been I saw Laurent Garnier and Todd Terry/Morales. although they were both on Fridays, the lack of people in there (not stupidly empty, but enough not to open any of the other rooms) actually made me lose my faith in the London clubbing scene (for a few days).

All reports I've heard are that numbers have taken a massive hit due to the closing of the Jubilee line and the awful lack of decent promotion by the in house team. My faith was ignited with the reports of the first Sven bash going on to past midday, though after hearing that I was dismayed to hear the second one didn't even sell out and was emptying out by 5ish.

For that reason I will only return when I know there is a whopping great massive headliner on, and I'm guaranteed it'll be busy and I can see it at full flow (and what sight it wuill be!) Frankly that narrows it down to Tenaglia and Tenaglia only (assuming RV's tied to Fabric).

I can think of no other (big room) venues I'd rather be if you could guarantee it's full to the rafters.

a lot of good points there - confirming a lot of my suspicions

villalobos @ fabric and derrick may @ ministry etc really annoys me as would far prefer to check them in a small basement like grammaphone, but those venues are never going to be able to afford their fees :confused:

I would say the largest venue I can handle at the moment is probably Corsica - the Fabric lineups are sensational week after week, but I do think I'm past it! :oops:

the disco bloodbath session at the Alhambra (nr Aldgate) earlier in the year was pretty good but queues and sound were shocking

beyond that, London isn't nearly as spoilt as outsiders would imagine...

Thanks for the help peeps... not sure if I'm able to go now anyway and kind of wish I hadn't made this post because now I really want to :evil: LOL

a lot of good points there - confirming a lot of my suspicions

I would say the largest venue I can handle at the moment is probably Corsica - the Fabric lineups are sensational week after week, but I do think I'm past it! :oops:

I couldn't agree more with Olly on the above point. Corsica Studios is a great venue, look out for a party to be put on here in December called Bleep43. The last one they did had Donato Dozzy (resident at Panoramabar) and Omar S (Detroit). Derrick May turned up to have a beer. Think it only holds about 500 so hassle free.

Yep totaly agree , Corsica is one of the best venues in London. Soundsystem is perfect for its size. Shame its in Elephant tho its such a ****hole!

Back