Martin O Neill leaves Aston Villa

That's 5 good signings you have mentioned out of how many. I mean come on Curtis Davies £7m, Reo-Coker £8.5m jesus wept. Also who is Harry Forester? I have heard of Harry Crumb. Shorey as back up at £4m??

Over £100m spent. Also some of the contacts that have been paid out up there (dunne excess of 60k per week) no wonder old Randy want's to tighten up the purse strings and recoup a bit of cash and what does Saint Martin do for a bit? Leaves them high and dry.
Yes, some questionable buys. But £100m (gross, not net) over 4 seasons isn't THAT much money in the Premier League. It's still less than teams like Man City, Spurs or Liverpool in that time... and that's who he was competing with.

Yes, some questionable buys. But £100m (gross, not net) over 4 seasons isn't THAT much money in the Premier League. It's still less than teams like Man City, Spurs or Liverpool in that time... and that's who he was competing with.

You are missing the point. Money does not grow on trees and unless you have a sugar daddy to fund it then eventually something has to give unless you want to do a Leeds. O'Neil has thrown his rattle out the pram because he has no money to spend when he should take a leaf out of David Moyes book and just get on with it.

Nearer £130m and I would say quite a few questionable signings.Not that i'm complaining as he has spent £15m on our old boys.

You are missing the point. Money does not grow on trees and unless you have a sugar daddy to fund it then eventually something has to give unless you want to do a Leeds. O'Neil has thrown his rattle out the pram because he has no money to spend when he should take a leaf out of David Moyes book and just get on with it.
Ahh.. from that point of view, yes, I agree.

More articles I've read about it do give the impression that Lerner may simply have said, look we've got to balance the books. He's invested pretty heavily.

As a Wycombe fan I think Martin O'Neill is a great manager! He was the best we ever had and took us up two divisions, and to two playoff finals at Wembley! Then he won trophies with Leicester and Celtic. Now he's took Villa top 6 for the last 3 years. Hardly an un-impressive CV I'd say?

Nearer £130m and I would say quite a few questionable signings.Not that i'm complaining as he has spent £15m on our old boys.

2 words Reo-Coker :lol:

More articles I've read about it do give the impression that Lerner may simply have said, look we've got to balance the books. He's invested pretty heavily.

Yeah, I heard from friend who is die hard villa (poor chap), that he was promised funds as sell to buy, but then told he couldn't have the majority of the Milner money. Some might say fair play for sticking to his principles, but like Liam says you only need to look at Moyes and other managers in similiar positions. I reckon ol' whickey nose was told the same about the Ronaldo money, he didnt walk :lol:

No one is disputing his record. Just remember though he won the same amount in Scotland as Graham Souness. Only two teams really win things up there so more or less guranteed some sort of trophy every year.

The problem with Saint Martin is why jump ship when you have spent all the club's money? The chairman wants to tighten things after spending £130m in 3 years or 4 years and rightly so but O'Neil wants to carry on chucking money away. Did Fergie quit when Ronaldo was sold? How much does Moyes get to spend at Everton? Certianly hasn't spent over £100m in 3 years.

Villa have a decent enough side that could finish top 6 but also could easily slip into the bottom half. He should have stayed and fought with the club that has paid him handsomely and backed him well in the transfer market. He proved at Leicester he could work well without big money so why not at Villa?

2 words Reo-Coker :lol:

Yeah, I heard from friend who is die hard villa (poor chap), that he was promised funds as sell to buy, but then told he couldn't have the majority of the Milner money. Some might say fair play for sticking to his principles, but like Liam says you only need to look at Moyes and other managers in similiar positions. I reckon ol' whickey nose was told the same about the Ronaldo money, he didnt walk :lol:

Also gave us £6m for James Collins and about £3 for Harewood. God bless Martin O'Neill! :lol:

As for the England job! May as well get Bono to sing the national anthem too!

Back