Marathon advice

Beckiboo

To all the fitness freaks on Spotlight ;)

I'm running in my first ever half marathon on Sunday :eek: :eek: Very nervous!

Due to last weekend's debauchary, I lost about a week of training. I planned on doing a couple of 10mile runs beforehand so I was used to running for about 2hrs. As it stands, the most I've run so far was last night, about 10k... took me about an hour and a quarter. I found it ok, could have carried on but it was getting dark.

I want to try and do a 2hr run on Wednesday evening.... but is this too close to the race? It's at 10am on Sunday... will my muscles have recovered enough by then? Or should I do a few 5 miles this week just to keep my fitness up?

Also any other advice from anyone who's ever done any long distance running is greatly appreciated! :D

Due to last weekend's debauchary, I lost about a week of training. I planned on doing a couple of 10mile runs beforehand so I was used to running for about 2hrs. As it stands, the most I've run so far was last night, about 10k... took me about an hour and a quarter. I found it ok, could have carried on but it was getting dark.

I want to try and do a 2hr run on Wednesday evening.... but is this too close to the race? It's at 10am on Sunday... will my muscles have recovered enough by then? Or should I do a few 5 miles this week just to keep my fitness up?

Also any other advice from anyone who's ever done any long distance running is greatly appreciated! :D

Hi there !

It's been a few years since I did any competitive running but used to do lots in my youth, middle and long distance and some triathlon, I was always told to rest the week before a big event. It is hard psychologically but really physically important to keep things very light so you have plenty of stamina for the day. If you are fit leading up to it taking a week off is good, if not essential.

However you already had a week off due to "unforeseen circumstances" :lol::lol:, so two one hour runs (tonight and Wed for ex) would be fine before Sunday morning. Don't stress about any of it as your mental prep is equally important !

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I can't give any advice I only run 5miles in a session. I don't think I could manage 10 :eek:

Good luck for Sunday!!

Like you say, I think a two hour run on wednesday is the best thing for you to do given the time you've got left. But just do it at an easy pace. And then on Friday do a much shorter run, a few miles, just to keep "loose" if you feel up to it. :lol:.

Good luck Becki!

I think I'm going to maybe do another hour's run on Wednesday evening then leave it at that... and hope adrenalin gets me round on Sunday!

I've put my target at 2.5hrs but hopefully I might do it in less :)

As others advise don't do too much in the week before. I did the Cardiff Half Marathon last year and the furthest I had gone was 9 miles in training due to work restricting opportunities. That and a heavy weekend for my birthday the week before made me very nervous on the morning but managed to pull it off so it can be done. I had never done anything like that before previously either and managed to win £300 for charity from so called friends who didn't think I could do it.

Good luck and enjoy it, it is great running through the closed streets and the support of the crowd really helps.

Hey There

I have run a couple of the London Marathons over the last four years and really your longest run should be exactly a week before the half marathon.

I would run 7/8 miles on Wednesday at a really easy pace, and two smaller runs thursday and friday, giving your body a rest on saturday. Make sure you stretch loads before and after and your muscles should be fine. Enjoy and good luck! :)

I finished in 2hrs 11 mins :D :D :D Well chuffed with that result, especially considering I wasn't as fit as I'd hoped to be. The last few miles were pure agony though, my legs have never felt that much pain! What a great day though, amazing to be a part of it. And we raised £6000 for out charity so a brilliant result all round :)

I finished in 2hrs 11 mins :D :D :D Well chuffed with that result, especially considering I wasn't as fit as I'd hoped to be. The last few miles were pure agony though, my legs have never felt that much pain! What a great day though, amazing to be a part of it. And we raised £6000 for out charity so a brilliant result all round :)

Well done Hun :lol: Thats brilliant 8) Its an amazing feeling crossing that line knowing youve raised alot for charity. Congratulations !!

Now for a full marathon ;)

Or the great north run on sunday, after London its meant to be the best atmosphere ;)

Back