Malaga

Johnny Vodka

A few years ago we did pretty much the scabby rest of the Costa Del Sol but, alarmingly, never set foot in Malaga. Is it worth a four night stay in April?

Depends what you're looking for I guess.

We did a night in Puerto Banus in September which had a "West End" feel to it but still some good bars.

We were on a boat though so also took in some nice secluded beaches, spent some time in Gibraltar then went across to Morocco for a night ( :eek: )

:)

do you mean the city of malaga itself?

if so yes, full of life, strong coffee, tapas bars, siestas and a castle chucked in for free.

i love staying in the big spanish cities because people still live in them so they have an atmosphere all of their own.

added bonus - there's a whopping big ikea out near the airport

I used to live in Malaga, and it is much different to the rest fuengirola/torremolinos/mijas etc. It just a typical Spanish city, however no Madrid or Barcelona.

It depends what your wanting to get out of your holiday.

I would suggest fly to Malaga and then drive to Granada. This is a fabulous city, lots of culture, and very beautiful. About 2 hour drive from Malaga.

Also, Estepona is nice small town, further than Marbella, about 20 minutes. This is where I was brought up. Not so tacky as Puerto Banus.

as a general rule of thumb i'd say nearly all spanish cities look a bit grim as you're driving in - lots of industrial estates, big blocks of apartments everywhere and then bam, you're in the centre. full of life, culture, monuments, history and bars, bars, bars.

i can't say i've ever been disappointed whichever city i've visited but then i live in place which is very quiet so a busy holiday is perfect for me. it's why i go to palma so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just looking for a Spanish city - good night life, decent grub, Spanish atmosphere (strangely enough!) and a few sites.

Did Barcelona a few years back in April. Enjoyed it, but almost a bit too big - plus the weather was patchy. Malaga should have a nicer climate in April, I think.

Stayed around the Benalmadena/Torremelonos area before and that's the sort of thing we're looking to avoid this time! Shame we didn't actually go into Malaga that time!

Any particular recommendations for sites/bars/clubs? (I've done some basic research, but looking for up to date info.)

Yeah, just looking for a Spanish city - good night life, decent grub, Spanish atmosphere (strangely enough!) and a few sites.

Did Barcelona a few years back in April. Enjoyed it, but almost a bit too big - plus the weather was patchy. Malaga should have a nicer climate in April, I think.

Stayed around the Benalmadena/Torremelonos area before and that's the sort of thing we're looking to avoid this time! Shame we didn't actually go into Malaga that time!

Any particular recommendations for sites/bars/clubs? (I've done some basic research, but looking for up to date info.)

When I lived in Spain, I spent lots of weekends there. Great place to visit the center of the city has plenty of things in walking distance. It is a normal Spanish city not a tourist trap. I stayed at this hotel several times not cheap but worth the expense http://www.hotelmolinalario.com/

We'll be looking for a hotel at the cheap end of the spectrum. :lol:

What are people's thoughts on visiting at Easter? More atmosphere and stuff going on or better going either side to save the pennies?

easter is a big holiday in spain, with some fantastic processions and feria....

nice yet busy time to go, and not all shops open, as its bank holiday.

We'll be looking for a hotel at the cheap end of the spectrum. :lol:

What are people's thoughts on visiting at Easter? More atmosphere and stuff going on or better going either side to save the pennies?

Like someone said there is proses-ions for easter even if your not religious they are nice to watch. Some places are closed but you will be able to eat and drink. I would book a hotel early as people head to their home area for the holidays.

Malaga is cropping up again for a solo few days at the beginning of October. Anyone been recently? (Ibiza out of question, as I can only grab a few days and can't bolt on the necessary recovery time. ;))

Just got back from staying near here. We visited Malaga twice, loved the place, very spanish feel to it and there is loads to do. Would recomend it!

Just got back from staying near here. We visited Malaga twice, loved the place, very spanish feel to it and there is loads to do. Would recomend it!

Cool. That's flight booked for a few days in october. Anything in particular you'd recommend seeing? Tempting to make make it more of a 'day' holiday than a 'night' holiday - try and catch as much sun as possible before the British winter kicks in! But are there any decent clubs just in case?! :twisted:

Cool. That's flight booked for a few days in october. Anything in particular you'd recommend seeing? Tempting to make make it more of a 'day' holiday than a 'night' holiday - try and catch as much sun as possible before the British winter kicks in! But are there any decent clubs just in case?! :twisted:
I just explored walking round every side street I could! Never got a night there but apparently its brilliant just drinking in all the bars in the streets etc. You wont struggle to find things to do!

So good I'm going back to the area next Sunday, though will be staying in Nerja (new to me) most of the trip. Really fancied squeezing in Granada, but that won't be this time. It looks like Granada would deserve the best part of a week anyway.

My folks have been going to nerja for years and love it..granada can be cold this time of year. .definitely worth a visit if you can..

Granada is coming up again as a possibility for early June. Would have preferred to hold off until July for my next holiday, but I'm guessing it will be way too hot by then! (Other options are another trip to the Dam, or Munich. Those both could wait till July.) Got an artist mate who's moved back there from Ibiza, so should have someone to give me pointers...

Granada is coming up again as a possibility for early June. Would have preferred to hold off until July for my next holiday, but I'm guessing it will be way too hot by then! (Other options are another trip to the Dam, or Munich. Those both could wait till July.) Got an artist mate who's moved back there from Ibiza, so should have someone to give me pointers...

def go early june and not july! granada gets boiling hot in july/august.

We stayed in La Herradura last summer for a few days - really nice (if quiet) - authentic spanish (with a few nods to the british expats) - local flamenco and stuff. Really like the campsite there.

we hired this camper van from some industrial estate on the outskirts of Malaga aiport (it turned out to be a death trap transit van with a faulty gear stick, a broken wiper and a bunk bed screwed in at the back designed for a midget) and took it to the Alhambra (which you have to book a visiting slot for in advance). Alhambra is beautiful but you're kind of done after 30mins. Nice bar though with water mist jets, keeping you cool.

decent coastal drive from malaga to la herradura

someone else was also asking about this neck of the woods last week:

https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/house-techno-parties-in-malaga-marbella.76534/

Back