Making the move - a few practical questions:

Lil'

Hi Ibizan residents, I've posted on this forum before (a few times under different user names, not to confuse but because I couldn't bloody remember any of the details/usernames/passwords I gave!!) anyway making the move in Sept from Ireland to Ibiza. Have a few questions:

I read somewhere recently you need a bank account with about €6,000 per adult and €3,000 per child to get your NIE (may not be exact figures) ok so is this true? What are the corrrect amounts? Does it have to be a Spanish/Ibizan Account or will a UK one do?
Is it an ordeal to set up a bank account. Has anyone transferred from a Santander account in the UK to Spain?

How much do we (hardened Irish toughies) really need heating in the winter?? So hard to find a decent place with heating....gggrrrr

Has anyone driven down from Ireland with a trailer/rented a van or hired a moving company and can they give any advice on any of this - don't have loads but with kids etc there will be a medium van load.

Thats all for now...all and any info/advice really appreciated.
Delighted to be finally doing this, now to tell the inlaws.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere recently you need a bank account with about €6,000 per adult and €3,000 per child to get your NIE (may not be exact figures) ok so is this true? What are the corrrect amounts? Does it have to be a Spanish/Ibizan Account or will a UK one do?
Is it an ordeal to set up a bank account. Has anyone transferred from a Santander account in the UK to Spain?

Can't remember the exact amounts but if you have a contract of employment you do not need to show savings. It won't do any harm right enough to have them.
You can set up a Spanish bank account as a non-resident. Fee's are higher but once you get your NIE you can convert to a resident account. Note that we done this with La Caixa, Santander wouldn't allow us to open an account without a NIE.

How much do we (hardened Irish toughies) really need heating in the winter?? So hard to find a decent place with heating....gggrrrr

I haven't spent a winter there yet but it does get rather chilly. Suppose the need for heating will depend on what type of house your living in. When we arrived in March there was definitely a need for heating.

you'll freeze your ass off without any heating. but it obviously heavily depends on the building quality. most people I know use dehumifiers in combination with either simple electric radiators or use the aircon heating function.

not quite correct rv - you need a residency certificate to have a resident's bank account. an NIE is not residency

not quite correct rv - you need a residency certificate to have a resident's bank account. an NIE is not residency
Wife opened a non residents a/c with Sabadell with very little fuss, later converted to a residents a/c once she had nie. I waited and opened a residents a/c once I had nie (never asked for residency certificate?). Sabadell have been a decent choice of bank, decent online banking, beware of charges when using other bank's cash machines, up to €10 per transaction! It would be one tough cookie who could survive a winter without heating of any sort! Also bear in mind, if you don't have a contract of employment you will need private medical cover to get your nie. The expense of a gestor would be well worth it to get your nie sorted out, it is, understandably becoming more complex.

Heating wise, we used our air con (already in the apartment we're renting) very minimally this last winter, I think we used it for around a month at the most... it depends on how "warm" the actual apartment is (this one is about the warmest I've ever lived in, in 11 years of living firstly in Benidorm and for the past year Ibiza!)... Btw air con units EAT electricity and cost a fortune!....

Hey Thanks so much everyone! Didn't get notifications that I had replies! Heating it is so and I'll get an empadron to do all my paper work as soon as I arrive. :)

Hey Russell, this might be a really silly question but does it have to be a contract of employment in Ibiza or will a current one from the UK do? (We work remotely)....Thanks :)

I think as long as you can prove you have money coming in to support yourself you should be fine.

Although, and I have to do this yet, I would look into how the tax works with you earning your money overseas.

all foreign residents have to declare all their income, savings and investments no matter where they are situated.

Hey Russell, this might be a really silly question but does it have to be a contract of employment in Ibiza or will a current one from the UK do? (We work remotely)....Thanks :)

My understanding is the contract has to be a genuine contract of employment that can be verified by a certain office/ department here in Ibiza.

Laws on taxation are becoming very complicated (maybe they have always been so?), but selling a house for example in the UK can lead to taxation here in Ibiza. We spoke to a couple a few weeks back who were moving to South France for 181 days per annum otherwise rental income from the UK would be savaged by the tax man here. Stephen has said this often, use a gestor. Advice on here will always be hearsay as the rules for obtaining a nie change from week to week and month to month.

Back