Make wanderlust, not war...

jannica

My stepdad emailed me the link to this article about Americans traveling in this time of war and anti-American sentiment. I found it to be exactly what I was thinking, and he said so well the same reasons I have for traveling at a time when many would consider to be too dangerous. I think everyone should read it, it's interesting, even if you're not an American.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/03/26/travel/index.html

You have to view some kind of advert to get a free day pass to view the whole article, but it's very easy. Then just look under the Life section to find the article. :)

Excellent article Jannica! Its so true, if you never travel, meet new people and let them discover who you are as a person then the world is restricted to form a biased opinion, perhaps through the media, and thats not right. Everyone, not just Americans need to travel to relate more to the world we live in and to be more open minded. :D

Spread the love!! :p

I think its somewhere around 5-10%. Not very impressive I will be first to admit.

But if I can defend fellow Americans.....for the purpose of vacations most people generally go there whole lifetimes without even seeing all of US. And if you want some place warm in winter financially it makes more sense to just go to Florida or Arizona/Vegas/CA then travel abroad.

I am sure I get flamed for this

Yeah I totally agree JuiceDog. I have a passport, but I really couldn't name many other people I know that would have one. 5-10% sounds about right. For $$$ wise it makes more sense for American families to stay within the country and go to Vegas of Florida. And it is definitely true that most people go their entire life without even seeing over 50% of the US. Sure people are very different in certain regions of the country, but most people are more or less similar. The people are much less distinct.
Europe, which is about the size of the US, is blessed with having so many countries with such rich cultures. It's definitely something for you people in Europe to think about, you have access to such a great depth of people from so many different heritages. Not that I am justifying the American point; I want to spend some time in Europe after school going to as many places as possible. You definitely have something that some people do envy.

Peace.

That's a good idea, I should visit Canada! :D I'm glad you guys liked the article, and I see some of your points about seeing all of America, but I still think that it is important to travel to other countries. Seeing all of America is fine for a vacation but I am not just talking about traveling to Europe for a vacation, I'm talking about all of the other benefits that go along with traveling outside of your own country (i.e. breaking down false stereotypes and cultural barriers). My reasons for going to Europe this summer extend beyond just the need for a vacation. :D

good article...and it's true only 5% of americans have passports....to speak frankly they are very narrowminded that way..about visiting places abroad...hence most young people when they get time off...they go to miami(great place) cancun etc for "spring break" and in summer alot of them also go to these places...yes it's true they don't come to europe but you know what...i'm glad...b/c i don't think majority of the american youth is ready to party like europe..they are still into booty shaking...and if "frat boy" like partiers come to ibiza they will destroy it.....ibiza is my haven away from all that.........

I was just in amsterdam when the war broke out with 10 other guys and i didnt' feel any antiwar sentiment...maybe b/c everyone is stoned and hence peace and love rule.....but also when someone would ask i would just say i'm canadian :)

toodles
see you in ibiza
nik

I agree 110%. I dont go around wearing a flag on my chest or anything but if anyone asks where I am from I dam sure say "I am American"

Be proud of where you came from man

It is my understanding that pacha4life wasn't born here in America anyway, so it's understandable that he isn't as patriotic as some. Still, I think you shouldn't be afraid to say you're an American. People need to see that we Americans are people just like anyone else, and that we aren't all ignorant, selfish, and close-minded like so many seem to think. How is anyone going to know if you lie about your nationality? :confused: :)

jannica said:
It is my understanding that pacha4life wasn't born here in America anyway, so it's understandable that he isn't as patriotic as some. Still, I think you shouldn't be afraid to say you're an American. People need to see that we Americans are people just like anyone else, and that we aren't all ignorant, selfish, and close-minded like so many seem to think. How is anyone going to know if you lie about your nationality? :confused: :)

I may not be born in the US, but as a citizen of the states..in these highten times it's wiser not to draw attention to yourself if you can avoid it :), why regret it later when you can avoid problems earlier.....and I am patriotic and behind the troops and president.

It has nothing to do with being afraid...it's being smart...
thank you
case closed :D
nik

Back