Macarena Club Barcelona - and a very freaky day in Sitges

kimajy

Just polished off an epic end to the Summer in Barcelona. After raving about the fantastic 12-hour daytime party at Row 14 on Wednesday I managed to (just about) get it together enough to head to Macarena (the famous microclub near Las Ramblas) for the first time. I was quite the worse for wear after my earlier marathon Fiesta, a little apprehensive I must admit, and a tad overdressed :eek: (for once)... well Barcelona is not Ibiza !

But there was no need for any concern - the criteria for entry is clearly that you're there for the music, the music followed by the music. 10 Euros entry, including a beer, which followed my Vodka Redbull aperitif in a bar round the corner. From the opening times info the following is, I think, a bit old but quite a good summary :

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/club/macarena-club-barcelona.html

Something aromatic is circulating freely round a happy, mature and relaxed bunch of people hanging out in the alley-like Calla Nou de Sant Fransesc near where Macarena's tiny unassuming entrance is located. One of the club's staff pops out and pastes up a notice on the wall opposite. I thought it might be something promotional but it reads 'Silence - have respect for our neighbours' in several languages. I've heard about the sound system in there (though the soundproofing is incredible) - and it's mildly ironic but instantly very 8).

I can wait no longer and I'm the first in to the club (a first for me) at about 00h10. The others nearby coolly deliberate over a flyer as if contemplating whether or not to go in. Some tell-tale bedrock branding kind of gives it away though - they've clearly arrived early to make sure they get in !! Felt a bit strange, but when I went through the soundproofed door a wonderland awaits. The venue is dark and very intimate, the size of a little Shoreditch music bar, but atmospheric even without a crowd 8)8), immaculately clean and feels like a private party room. I now really wish I spoke Spanish :oops: !!

My fleeting surprise at how small the venue is (the booth being in the middle of the venue between the bar and the dancefloor so you can see everything the DJ is doing) is replaced by sheer excitement as my imagination takes over .. that friendly cool kat bunch outside will be in here soon and it could be an absolute blast - but will they be dancing ? Wish I'd tried to chat a bit more in the line now (could hardly speak to be honest - was such a train wreck from earlier :)oops: - again !).

Bedrock's Guy J will be playing a 5-hour set (no doubt for free) to a "micro-crowd" of assembled electronic music connoisseurs. He is already underway playing to me, the club workers and the sound guy, already pulling out the stops and oblivious of whether anyone is in there or not. No p!ssing about here. It sounds absolutely AMAZING. Really. This chap is a Master.

Guy J's set at Global was the best of the whole day for me for both aural heaven and dancing my b***ocks off (his DJ style is very different from some of the stuff you hear that he's produced - trust me, he ROCKS a dancefloor). For me he topped Cattaneo and Digweed himself actually - though the tent was half empty on account of his early slot time.

Let's see what Barcelona's experts make of him ! People drift in and like me are hit with AAA-rated infectious, kick-ass dance music. I can't ID anything. They love him - beaming smiles and after distracting him by leaning over for a succession of quick photos with an arm around the DJ, they hit the dancefloor straight away. The DJ set just gets better and better and the tiny club is absolutely rocking from start to finish :twisted:.

I had a fantastic night. My capabilities were a wee bit limited as everything ached from many hours of dancing earlier. However I meet a chap at the bar who's English and hit it off chatting like I've known him for ever. Really cool dude - we start talking crazy plans to visit Ibiza together next Season ... you never know may just happen ;). Five rounds later we eventually make it onto the rocking dancefloor !

Thought he looked familiar :confused: and when I finally get around to finding out who I've been chin-wagging half the night with, turns out it's this chap, who used to have a residency at The Warehouse in Plymouth (what a small world !) and played some fantastic sets at The Cross back in the day :twisted: :

http://www.djpaulalexander.com/

... his radio show Mainframe has had guest mixes from his old mate Sasha, Steve Lawler, Pole Folder and many others. Told me he's about ready to start DJing the clubs again so any Agents looking for a real talent get in touch with him - he's right on it in the booth. Cheers Paul - see you soon !!!

One thing's for sure - I'll be going back to Macarena. Lord only knows how I got back to my hotel but there was a taxi and a cashpoint involved at some point. Still in serious recovery... not one to break myself easily but came pretty close this trip :eek:...

Yesterday was Cabaret Bizzare as I headed to Sitges for some beach time to dry out, only to find a very freaky Festival underway :

http://sitgesfilmfestival.com/eng

You can, I am sure, imagine the average delegate profile :eek::lol: ... loads of American film people, groupies and B movie actresses milling around .. and a few pervs hanging over cliffsides gawping shamelessly at the many nudists on the beaches below (mainly blokes as usual :rolleyes:). I decided to get into the spirit of it all as best I could by ordering pasta with Squid in a black ink sauce at the Hotel Estela restaurant in Aiguadolc.

Left for the airport just gone 5.30pm feeling a little freaked out (post-clubbing shock syndrome like I haven't had for yonks - no drugs involved in case you're still reading and were wondering !!), and inexplicably horny :?:o. I realized later why - the Estela hotel reception, which I must have gone through several times on the way to use their loos as I left my car opposite whilst looking round the town and going to the beach, was full of erotic art. I think it must all have penetrated my subconscious :lol: !

I now feel as if I can finally draw a line under Summer 2011, happy and fulfilled, in the party sense at least. Thank you Barcelona. See you again !

I'm more and more thinking of heading upto Barcelona for some clubbing action this winter. ElRow and this place would do fine, they've Derick May next week 8)

TBH Ive been to Barcelona tonnes over the years (living just 300 miles away) and have only had a great time clubbking when I went to Sonar about 5 years ago, the rest of the time its been a let down....not any more by the looks of it !!

Yeah, Macarena is a class little club - Satoshi rocked the place last Wednesday.

If you like it there, check out Moog.

I'm more and more thinking of heading upto Barcelona for some clubbing action this winter. ElRow and this place would do fine, they've Derick May next week 8)

TBH Ive been to Barcelona tonnes over the years (living just 300 miles away) and have only had a great time clubbking when I went to Sonar about 5 years ago, the rest of the time its been a let down....not any more by the looks of it !!

When's this? I'm in BCN next weekend

Back