London - Ripoff taxi fare

WeLuvIbiza

Was in London last weekend and needed a cab from Leicester Square to Waterloo, it was approx 2:00am. Couldn't get a black cab so went to one of those back street places. I made the huge mistake of not asking the price before setting off. Journey took a matter of minutes and is only a brisk walk in the daytime so I never thought it would be more than £10!

He demanded £20. I argued for a few minutes, he was a big geezer. I paid up!

How much would a normal fare be from; Leicester Square -> right opposite Waterloo underground be?

Should have been about a tenner. Always agree the price up front!

You could have walked that in 20mins :)

would have walked it unless it was ****ting down. Or got a bus probably. Id expect a mini cab to be about a 10er or just under. Black cab would have been closer to a 5er maybe if traffic was good

crossing waterloo bridge in a gale or the freezing cold is no joke

you did get murked on the fare though

On Sunday I did enjoy a walk over the bridge that leads to Charring Cross, then up to Hamleys (quite possibly the worst place on earth with a hangover).

Wouldn't have fancied my chances of getting back to the 'hotel' on Saturday night though, despite not being too drunk. London to a northerner is a big place in the dark!

at night, I love all the bridges along that central stretch from westminster to tower hill - definitely one aspect that HAS improved over the last 10 years. Dead romantic too (when you're on the right date)

I once got a taxi from the train station in Cheltenham to Tivoli (a distance of about 1 mile but I did have a funking heavy suitcase) and on hearing my Northern accent the cabbie tried to charge me 8 quid for a journey that had never cost me more than 3.50 before. When I refused to pay he threatened to take me to the police station. I called his bluff and we ended up having a fight in the street outside my house!
He eventually swung/threw my suitcase in my face breaking my nose and jumped in his cab and buggered off. An hour later as I was nursing my injuries the police turned up at my place mob-handed and when they saw me took a statement. Long story short he ended up having his licence confiscated as there had been a few complaints about him ripping people off with no palpable evidence until he made the complaint against me, dropping himself in it.:spank::eek:

I once got a taxi from the train station in Cheltenham to Tivoli (a distance of about 1 mile but I did have a funking heavy suitcase) and on hearing my Northern accent the cabbie tried to charge me 8 quid for a journey that had never cost me more than 3.50 before. When I refused to pay he threatened to take me to the police station. I called his bluff and we ended up having a fight in the street outside my house!
He eventually swung/threw my suitcase in my face breaking my nose and jumped in his cab and buggered off. An hour later as I was nursing my injuries the police turned up at my place mob-handed and when they saw me took a statement. Long story short he ended up having his licence confiscated as there had been a few complaints about him ripping people off with no palpable evidence until he made the complaint against me, dropping himself in it.:spank::eek:

Would be a great story but for the broken nose bit (hope it mended ok). He sounds like a right bright spark:idea::lol:

Back