Liam From Flowered Up Dead

Booo...

Weekender is one of my favourite music videos of all time.

All that stuff is my youth. Going through it all now. Flowered Up, Mondays, 808 State, Mc Tunes, Carpets, Paris Angels and house*. I don't believe there's been a time like it since.

*list ended to avoid being here forever.

I first stumbled upon Weekender a few years later watching one of those 4am MTV non-stop mental video sessions.

All that stuff is my youth. Going through it all now. Flowered Up, Mondays, 808 State, Mc Tunes, Carpets, Paris Angels and house*. I don't believe there's been a time like it since.

*list ended to avoid being here forever.

My best years sigh........

My best years sigh........

Check my FB Pups. Tunes ahoy!

Oh, to be young again. I've just elsewhere if there was any four year period the last 40 years to be 16 or so 88-92 was it. What's swept the nation since? Oasis? As if? Uk f-ing garage? Do me a favour! (Sorry Danielsan!)

Oh, to be young again. I've just elsewhere if there was any four year period the last 40 years to be 16 or so 88-92 was it. What's swept the nation since? Oasis? As if? Uk f-ing garage? Do me a favour! (Sorry Danielsan!)

see my response re the quad. although i wasn't 16 at that time, i do often wish i could have experienced it all then, before cocaine destroyed the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-TaOq2gEU&NR=1

when you watch a vid like this, its clear that everyone was there to dance and be happy and be high....no club branded vodka or forums asking the exact set that was gonna be played. it was a pure experience with no preconceptions and something that was totally new.

on the flip side i do still think (in fact i know) that every year kids all over the world experience similar feelings to the people back during that time. of course, it is different because its 20 years later, but the values/principles that made it such a revolution at the time, still prevail.

it really was a revolution though.

:D:D

just seen them but for some reason bloody Flashplayer has screwed up and wont let me access youtube - will check em out tonight....

I have to say - 88 Summer of love to I would say 93 even was just amazing - everything and everyone was happy, shiny and full of luuuuurve - bliss....

just remembered I was a massive sinead o'connor fan back then and LOVED Mandinka when it was in the popular charts back then....

I wonder what happened to my Lion and the Cobra album - * hmmmm (*Ponders)

I generally try and resist the "it's not as good as it used to be" mantras, because some 21 year old k-asualty in the t-bar is (quite rightly) just gonna glare at you and yawn, but what is certainly true is that that the innocence and diy spirit of the olden days is pretty much dead in the water now - 'the man' has pretty much won, be it in London, New York, Ibiza, wherever - 'weekender' is evocative of a time when ravers saw themselves as revolutionaries and for maybe for a short period from 89-91, young people really had enough influence to shape government policy (certainly enough to provoke panicked laws and rearguard offensives from the brewing industry) - flowered up were part of all that - not especially musically talented and not really remembered for any other records, it was more what they symbolised, which is not to deny their musical significance...

For weekender is an astonishing piece of music as much for the original as the weatherall remix on the other side. It certainly remains one of my most cherished possessions. Driving back east early morning from a party along a deserted westway a few years ago I tuned into annie nightingale on the radio just as she was cueing it up and it really had me kicking myself for not being about 3 years older. By '93, the time I really properly entered "this scene", the clubs where I was studying in Devon (miles behind the times in every department) had themselves started to ape the nationwide split - acid jazz here, techno there, jungle downstairs etc, and the 'baggy' influence had all but evaporated or descended into a bad slo-mo car crash (mondays > black grape)

the next wave of britpop around 94/95 to me always felt like a bad pastiche of the baggy era - except, that is substituted the infectious funk of fool's gold for generic and much duller 60s pop/rock or punk influences, which is basically when I lost interest in the whole culture of "bands"

Liam Maher RIP - thank you for your part in the most spine-tingling pop video ever and indeed the most thrilling youth movement this country has ever had x

olly agreed too.

the only point to make is that that kid in the t-bar (and thousands other every weekend), experience broadly similar feelings many of us did, the first time they get involved in the scene.

sure, it might be fabric or MOS or an ibiza superclub rather than an orbital rave or clink street , but the feelings of euphoria of the music, breaking free from the straight and narrow, the mutual/community thing you get in clubs and just wanting to dance and dance, well every weekend there is another 18 year old experiencing that.

so yeah i agree that scene's innocence and DIYism is dead, but through many of those feelings, which have become the values of the scene......the revolution goes on! :D

Just googled after coming across this thread and it turns out he died of a heroin overdose.

Sh1tty ****ing stuff. Suppose that was the dark side of the revolution - a lot of our hedonist heroes were junkies and weren't cured by the love drug that changed some of our lives.:(

Just googled after coming across this thread and it turns out he died of a heroin overdose.

Sh1tty ****ing stuff. Suppose that was the dark side of the revolution - a lot of our hedonist heroes were junkies and weren't cured by the love drug that changed some of our lives.:(
Sh1tty way to go. We all fall by the wayside in our own ways I guess. Just some in harsher ways than others.

Back