Last Minute Ferries from Barcelona 2 Ibiza

Rebecca G

Just wondering...Is it okay to wait until I'm in Barcelona to purchase a ferry ticket to Ibiza or is it better to purchase in advance? Since I've never been to Barcelona, I'm not sure how long I'd like to stay.

Can anyone recommend good ferry companies to go through???? What's the ferry right usually like? Is it better to get a cabin or just general seating?

Thanks in advance!

Never been on a ferry from Barcelona to Ibiza but I've only read horror stories about it.
It takes about eight hours there's no cabins and seats get taken early so you have to sit on the floor, noisy Spaniards around you, smoking etc...but come morning you slowly start approaching the isle of Ibiza and it looks magical.

Wouldn't do that myself beacause it's more expensive than flying to Ibiza (takes approx. an hour), you can get return flights from Barcelona to Ibiza for as low as about 50 euros.

When are you travelling for if it's low season you'll probably be okay where-as high season might not be so easy? I' ve never experienced any problems purchasing tickets on the day of sailing 23:00hrs even during the high season of July or August but perhap's we've just been fortunate upto now?

Dave

Never been on a ferry from Barcelona to Ibiza but I've only read horror stories about it.
It takes about eight hours there's no cabins and seats get taken early so you have to sit on the floor, noisy Spaniards around you, smoking etc...but come morning you slowly start approaching the isle of Ibiza and it looks magical.

Wouldn't do that myself beacause it's more expensive than flying to Ibiza (takes approx. an hour), you can get return flights from Barcelona to Ibiza for as low as about 50 euros.

who wrote them, edgar allen poe? there are lots of cabins, very comfortable too, plenty of seating, swimming pool, jacuzzi, gym, bars, restaurants,cinema and a disco. smoking is not allowed.

We've used both the transmediterannea & Baleria lines & although not quite upto the standards of Carnival Cruise ships:lol: you will find them none the less basic but very comfortable. I could be wrong but i think there's also a fast ferry which take's around 4hrs depending on sea conditions.

NB: I mention Carnival Cruise Ships only as an example not that we've ever cruised on any

Thanks everyone! I'll check out those ferry companies. I'm just a little afraid of booking my return to Chicago from Ibiza if there's a chance I may not be able to get a ferry.

I could fly, but I'd rather take a ferry. I don't care about having a cabin as I'll be backpacking it.

Oh hell, maybe I'll just book a ferry ticket? I've never been to Barcelona, so I'm not sure how long I'd like to stay. :confused:

Once I go to the dock, will there be people vying for my business?

I took the ferry from Ibiza to Valencia back in 97. It was uncomfortable and I wouldn't repeat the experience. I didn't have a cabin so there was no "secure" place to keep my bags (just had to leave it next to my seat) and I remember it being very noisy and smokey (nonsmoking laws might have helped with the smoke part now).

I was on a slow ferry that took what seemed like ages for such a short trip. It was definitely not a "cruise ship" type experience. Yes, there was a bar with a "disco" (if you want to call it that-they did), but the whole experience left a lot to be desired.

Honestly, it's usually much cheaper to fly than it is to take the ferry. If price is an issue take a look at www.vueling.com and www.aireuropa.com for cheap fares from Barcelona.

I have to admit that is a nicer boat than the one that I was on, though I believe it was also Transmediterranea that I travelled on before.

That being said, if you are travelling by yourself, I would find out if there is some place that you can lock your belongings because when I sailed before, there was no "checked baggage" system like there is when you fly. Basically, you have your luggage with you at your seat. Want to go to the bar or explore the ship? You might have to leave your luggage unattended. If you're worried about theft than this might be an issue to you.

If you're worried about time, a flight to Ibiza would take roughly 45 minutes from Barcelona vs the 8 1/2 hours by ferry.

Lastly, whenever I've checked, I've always been able to find flights significantly cheaper than taking the ferry. For example, right now a flight in mid August from Barcelona to Ibiza is $57 on Air Europa. According to Stephen, that same route on the ferry is $135.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Like I said, I haven't taken the ferry since 97. First because it was an awful experience (looks like a nicer boat now though) and second because it's more expensive than flying.

there are secure luggage rooms on the boat so you can use all the facilities without worry. there's lots of sunloungers on the deck so you can lie out and take the sun and we found the food to be excellent on board (and it comes in trucker size portions)

as rebecca wishes to make a decision when to travel when she's in barcelona, (i read her post) then she's not going to get the 'book early' price which you quote and maybe not even a seat on the flight at anyprice. the 1000 person capacity boat will for sure have availability and the price i quoted was a return. a single is €58 !!

Rebecca,

Stephen read your post and I didn't. Disregard anything that I wrote. Take the ferry. It is much better to take the ferry.

Perhap's best i stick my two bobs worth in & say that:

Last year i flew from Paris - Barcelona with a connecting flight Barcelona-Ibiza
however although our first outward flight left on time we were held up at Barcelona where the captain told us that because we're early he must wait for an arrival dock.
We eventually were allowed off the plane 40 mins later & behind on time needless to say that myself & many other passengers were told that because wer're late we've missed our flight onto Ibiza. Tempers were getting very heated between passengers & air 2000 check-in staff whom they did not want to accept that we were all late for check in because of being held up on the tarmac. Now come's the point concerning this original poster...

Because we were told that we had to make arrangements for getting to Ibiza, when enquired about the price of new tickets Air 2000 told us an extra 180 euros (one way), naturally mother's & children were starting to get upset & some were crying. On seeing this i suggested to the group of those like myself stuck in limbo we should try & get the ferry so a a Spanish guy asked air 2000 if he could call the ferry company's concerned for availability etc & the average price for a one way ticket leaving @ 23:00 hrs was about 40 euros & we (40 persons) could get on the ferry.
"So what" some might say but hey that's a whopping 140 euros cheaper than what the airlines were offering, so we all started the process at the airport of organizing taxis down to the ferry port further proving that when in chaos different Country Nationalities can communicate & be friendly without insulting each other (The sun newspaper take note). However a late twist in this whole saga was that finally the airline company accepted liability & so put us on a later flight to Ibiza. We eventually left Barcelona some 10hrs after we'd arrived & though the journey only took about 40mins on arriving at ibiza i had to wait 1 hr for the local public transport which meant i arrived at my final destination Camping Es Canar around 2am but i still had enough time for finding last orders in Es Canar lol.

Maybe if Rebecca reads this post she should consider such problems i experienced as afterall the only reason why the ferry might not sail is either due to bad weather or strike action, also not forgetting that Ibiza - Barcelona ferry journey times only take from about 4 -8 hrs max & i've travelled Trans'medi... for many years & believe me there service & ferries have improved 100% over the last 29 or so..

Sorry for such a long reply but i had to get my two bobs worth in.....................

Dave

Rebecca whatever transport you choose you'll still have a great time over on the Island where dreams have been made:) & hearts broken :cry: But not in my case:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't really see how dragging up a 12 year old experience on a different route helps rebecca. i've been on the cruiser/ferry as recently as december and it is a thoroughly pleasant experience.

here's the boat

http://www.trasmediterranea.es/index.asp?section=nuestra_flota&id=192

Thank you for the link Stephen! It really helped. There seems to be soooo many boats.

Do all the ferries meet in the Puerto de Barcelona? In that case I'll take a chance and just go. Has anyone ridden on Balearia's ferries? They're a little cheaper than Trasmediterranea and have ferries leaving everyday. The website's https://balearia.net/home_agencias.html?id_secc=2&idioma=en. I like "roughing it" as long as I don't have to deal with lunatics.

I'm soooo excited!!!! I've never been to Barcelona and considering the research I've done seems to be an amazing city.

That sucks. :cry: Thank you for the advice. I hope I don't have that kind of experience.

I have a big backpack w/ wheels. Hopefully won't be too annoying on the ferry.

Perhap's best i stick my two bobs worth in & say that:

Last year i flew from Paris - Barcelona with a connecting flight Barcelona-Ibiza
however although our first outward flight left on time we were held up at Barcelona where the captain told us that because we're early he must wait for an arrival dock.
We eventually were allowed off the plane 40 mins later & behind on time needless to say that myself & many other passengers were told that because wer're late we've missed our flight onto Ibiza. Tempers were getting very heated between passengers & air 2000 check-in staff whom they did not want to accept that we were all late for check in because of being held up on the tarmac. Now come's the point concerning this original poster...

Because we were told that we had to make arrangements for getting to Ibiza, when enquired about the price of new tickets Air 2000 told us an extra 180 euros (one way), naturally mother's & children were starting to get upset & some were crying. On seeing this i suggested to the group of those like myself stuck in limbo we should try & get the ferry so a a Spanish guy asked air 2000 if he could call the ferry company's concerned for availability etc & the average price for a one way ticket leaving @ 23:00 hrs was about 40 euros & we (40 persons) could get on the ferry.
"So what" some might say but hey that's a whopping 140 euros cheaper than what the airlines were offering, so we all started the process at the airport of organizing taxis down to the ferry port further proving that when in chaos different Country Nationalities can communicate & be friendly without insulting each other (The sun newspaper take note). However a late twist in this whole saga was that finally the airline company accepted liability & so put us on a later flight to Ibiza. We eventually left Barcelona some 10hrs after we'd arrived & though the journey only took about 40mins on arriving at ibiza i had to wait 1 hr for the local public transport which meant i arrived at my final destination Camping Es Canar around 2am but i still had enough time for finding last orders in Es Canar lol.

Maybe if Rebecca reads this post she should consider such problems i experienced as afterall the only reason why the ferry might not sail is either due to bad weather or strike action, also not forgetting that Ibiza - Barcelona ferry journey times only take from about 4 -8 hrs max & i've travelled Trans'medi... for many years & believe me there service & ferries have improved 100% over the last 29 or so..

Sorry for such a long reply but i had to get my two bobs worth in.....................

Dave

Rebecca whatever transport you choose you'll still have a great time over on the Island where dreams have been made:) & hearts broken :cry: But not in my case:lol:

Thank you for the link Stephen! It really helped. There seems to be soooo many boats.

Do all the ferries meet in the Puerto de Barcelona? In that case I'll take a chance and just go. Has anyone ridden on Balearia's ferries? They're a little cheaper than Trasmediterranea and have ferries leaving everyday. The website's https://balearia.net/home_agencias.html?id_secc=2&idioma=en. I like "roughing it" as long as I don't have to deal with lunatics.

I'm soooo excited!!!! I've never been to Barcelona and considering the research I've done seems to be an amazing city.

all the ferries from all the different companies leave from the same area (even the ones going over to italy) at barcelona port. it's to the right of the columbus statue as you look at it from the post office.

i only see balearia leaving 3 times a week and arriving in san an. it's an overnight one and is on a boat that's much older than the tras fleet (i was on it last week) so isn't quite so luxurious.

thus far i've never yet seen a lunatic on board and 90% of my fellow passengers have all been sound asleep within 5 minutes of pushing off from the port. the best bit of the whole journey for me is when a phalanx of guardia civil rush through the ship like a swarm of bees as soon as the doors open.............

Back