Laptop help

Beckiboo

I've recently moved into a new London pad 8) and I want to try and see if my laptop will pick up any of the free WIFI broadband connections in my block. The laptop is new and has never been online as yet. I tried it last night, turned the WIFI on, it picked up a few options including oNE called "Free public WIFI". When I tried connecting to this it said "testing internet connection" then said "cannot connect".

Does anyone know why this would happen? Do I just need to stop being tight and buy my own broadband? or is there some kind of setup thing I have to do to my laptop before it will connect to the internet?

You're gonna have to buy some broadband, I can occasionally log onto the pub near me which has free Wifi but the signal is very weak. There is no "universal" free London Broadband cloud unfortunately :(

You can get broadband pretty cheap tho, think about £10 a month so time to dig deep!!!!! ;)

If you scan for Wireless networks look to see if anyone has not secured theirs. It will say something like open network. If there is click on it and connect and you should be able to borrow it.

Number one way to let your new laptop get hijacked or infected = logon to random unsecured wireless networks.

Some folk set them up/leave them open just waiting for cheeky peeps to try it....and then fook them over big time.

Number one way to let your new laptop get hijacked or infected = logon to random unsecured wireless networks.

Some folk set them up/leave them open just waiting for cheeky peeps to try it....and then fook them over big time.

plus its theft!

it's well risky

I have a secure remote connection through work and could get into serious shlt if I didn't use it

(I could also get into serious shlt if they knew how much time I waste on the interspazz, but that's another matter)

it's well risky

I have a secure remote connection through work and could get into serious shlt if I didn't use it

(I could also get into serious shlt if they knew how much time I waste on the interspazz, but that's another matter)

Could some knowledgeable, young computer whizz back in head office not find that out easily?

I couldn't try and use an unsecure network.. I'd be freaked out that someone could hack into my computer easily. Is that right or am I paranoid? :?:

i used to freeload, but now have as part of sky package. most people are password proteced these days so got increasingly annoying.

by the way:

http://www.video2mp3.net/

so easy and near enough everything is on youtube these days. if you click on the high quality version it's even more amazing. i now have some serious sh*t on my iphone.

Some bloke got done for "piggy backing" a few month back. He used to park up early in his Vauxhall "Middle Management" outside his local train station to check his emails before going into work.

He was proper blagging some local birds WI FI over a period of time before he got his "Next" shirt collars felt by the filth...Not good.

Yep... He was using her connection every morning at around the same time to check mails and surf t'internet and got found out. Got quite a heavy fine if I remember.

Back