Laptop DJing

GRANT1979

Hi

Im intrested into getting into Laptop djing via a mACBOOK.

could anyone give me any advice on software programs etc to get me started

Please bear in my mind Im a complete novice!!!

Thanks

Well there are different ways to dj using your laptop. A programme like Traktor will give you up to 4 virtual decks , a mixer , fx , loops , cues etc. This can all be controlled via hotkeys or much more commonly using a midi controller.This takes you away from the laptop and gives you some buttons to press and knobs to twiddle.
You can also control music files on your laptop by turntables/cdj's for the traditional feel but as you said you were new to it im guessing thats not what your after.
The other laptop route is using a programme called Ableton Live. This programme can be more suited to producers or those who want to do more than just play other peoples music. as you can sequence in midi instruments / sounds. Say you had made a track , you could have all the different elements and using Live, perform the track by sequencing it all together on the fly , or indeed remixing it on the fly.
It depends what stage your at really , how much you want to spend , how much time you want to put into it and what sort of music you want to play

Traktor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1H9W_iLff0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9WlaKl7-GY

At the lower end are programmes like Virtual DJ which i havnt looked at but im sure do a similar thing

I use Ableton, a Macbook, an Audio 8 DJ Soundcard and the Akai APC40. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8620UT8ICg for Sebastien Leger using a similar set up. Also go to www.akaiapc40.com for loads of info and other videos. This set up is more than playing two records, it's like producing live and you can get a lot from it.

If you want something that replicated two 1210s or CDJs go for Traktor. You can also control Traktor by special CDs or Records if you already have a set up.

Hey Morbyd...how you doing??? I really enjoyed reading your review...I was in Ibiza in June for 4 days for my 30th but didnt make it again..opting to go the Island of Pag in Croatia ....which was pretty good....all day beach parties with no security or police around!!!
I still remember well our discussions about Notts County and Chelsea at the Mulletover party...drop me a line next time your in London....Defo we will be back in ibiza for a 2 week stint in June or July...but after the reviews I have been reading I really fancy the Amnesia closing party... hope you well buddy

Grant

yo what kinda music were they playing at the Pag beach parties? the vids ive seen have looked very electro house

Hey ...thanks for the info by the way.....

yes it was very electro house...but maybe 2 years old and.... usually the vocal versions of big tunes were being played!!!!

When we was there it was also the Tuborg Greenbeat festival, which over 5 nights had...Swedish House Mafia...Eric Prydz...Mark Knight...Dirty South and Pete Tong...it was good...the beach clubs were great venues on the beach ( ZRCE BEACH) but musically it was very dated.....makes you appreciate ibiza alot more tho!!!!!!!

Back