Language at Airports in Spain

soulcompromise

I've looked at enough flights to see that the layover, either from LAX enroute to IBZ or IBZ enroute to LAX is avoidable. I talked to one of AAA's travel agents and they said that you can book individual legs of your journey... Just book one to Madrid or Barcelona, then from there to Ibiza. I looked at the prices just now and roundtrip would be cheaper than booking a flight with the layovers they have compiled/computed/whatevs...

Anyway, that's all fine and good, but navigating the airport in Madrid or Barcelona might not be in English. Does anyone have experience with this such that they can tell me what to expect? Will I even be able to find the right gate? ? Thank you

Yes it's very easy to get around both Madrid and Barcelona airports without any Spanish. Just be mindful there are multiple terminals and changing between them can take a while especially if you've cleared checked luggage and have to lug it around to check in again at a different terminal. So check your terminals and leave plenty of time. Loads of flights from Ibiza back to mainland also get delayed so leave HOURS in between for contingencies and delays if you're connecting to an unprotected long haul flight. If you miss your connection because of it and don't have a single through-ticket you'll likely be picking up the tab to change your onward flight or buying a new one.

But as far as the language thing is concerned don't worry at all about that.

Yes it's very easy to get around both Madrid and Barcelona airports without any Spanish. Just be mindful there are multiple terminals and changing between them can take a while especially if you've cleared checked luggage and have to lug it around to check in again at a different terminal. So check your terminals and leave plenty of time. Loads of flights from Ibiza back to mainland also get delayed so leave HOURS in between for contingencies and delays if you're connecting to an unprotected long haul flight. If you miss your connection because of it and don't have a single through-ticket you'll likely be picking up the tab to change your onward flight or buying a new one.

But as far as the language thing is concerned don't worry at all about that.
Thanks. I think I'm getting insurance in case of a missed connection. I feel better about things being in English. I'm taking Spanish but I'm definitely not competent yet... Thanks again.

Thanks. I think I'm getting insurance in case of a missed connection. I feel better about things being in English. I'm taking Spanish but I'm definitely not competent yet... Thanks again.
In all your posts you seem afraid about this (language problem), and you don't have to, trust me...
Here it's like in any developed European countries(France, Italy, Spain..) who receive millions of tourists,you will find all the information you need in English,and the vast majority of the people who are working in tourism (hotel, air companies, restaurants etc) are talking at least a basic english or more...
So, keep cool, enjoy your trip, everything will be fine ?

After all you guys have said I feel much more confident about traveling. Thank you. It feels like an immense weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Also, I have sent an email to the travel insurance company I think I'll end up going with - Allianz - and asked them about who pays in the event of a missed connecting flight and also about emergency surgery should I ever need it because I've heard that sometimes the insurance company doesn't have the same definition of emergency medical as we do. Heaven forbid I need my appendix out while on vacation! :rolleyes:

yeah, there's nowhere on earth where you have to worry less about language than at major airports. And at BCN there's a free shuttle bus between T1 and T2 (don't even think about walking!)

I do get stressed at LAX (but that's a whole different story! you're treated like an international criminal the moment you enter passport control)

Back