Jungle

Pals of mine... Been at this for years. AKA made it through to the DMC finals many years ago and Bukem not long ago had a track of him.

I hate the genre dogma shit, wouldn't this be classed as breakbeat?
I actually put some energy into listening when it came to breakbeat in the later years of my partying career. & I've noticed something about that; sometimes what's being called "breakbeat" doesn't sound like breakbeats to me. For instance with Happy 2b Hardcore... this was a HUGE sensation in the United States in so far as happy hardcore was concerned. DJ Anabolic Frolic was well known in North America, and he's likely international too. Anyway, right on the front of the CD as it were (and it still isn't on mp3 to my knowledge...) it says:

1602254446444.png
"16 happy hardcore breakbeat techno anthems..." etc.

That's happy hardcore! It's not breakbeat! LOL. It exists to frustrate and infuriate.

The reason is, my definition of breakbeats is from the sound of for instance Plump DJs or more specifically, Dj Icey, Dj Baby Anne, Simply Jeff, Arthur Baker (though he spins other stuff too if memory serves), & Freq Nasty who is I think Australian, but don't quote me - which is interesting because I can't think of a European (though Australia isn't in Europe anyway...) breakbeat DJ. Also, John Kelley of Moonshine fame. He was cool/a real pioneer.

I don't know, but it could be a cultural difference.

Last edited:
I actually put some energy into listening when it came to breakbeat in the later years of my partying career. & I've noticed something about that; sometimes what's being called "breakbeat" doesn't sound like breakbeats to me. For instance with Happy 2b Hardcore... this was a HUGE sensation in the United States in so far as happy hardcore was concerned. DJ Anabolic Frolic was well known in North America, and he's likely international too. Anyway, right on the front of the CD as it were (and it still isn't on mp3 to my knowledge...) it says:

View attachment 10642
"16 happy hardcore breakbeat techno anthems..." etc.

That's happy hardcore! It's not breakbeat! LOL. It exists to frustrate and infuriate.

The reason is, my definition of breakbeats is from the sound of for instance Plump DJs or more specifically, Dj Icey, Dj Baby Anne, Simply Jeff, Arthur Baker (though he spins other stuff too if memory serves), & Freq Nasty who is I think Australian, but don't quote me - which is interesting because I can't think of a European (though Australia isn't in Europe anyway...) breakbeat DJ. Also, John Kelley of Moonshine fame. He was cool/a real pioneer.

I don't know, but it could be a cultural difference.
To me happy hard core means the 3/4 times I went to the colosseum in Stockton back in the day, glow sticks and Kappa slappers were the order of the day, cant say I listen to it much these days, but I look back with good memories.

Back