Julien Temple's "Ibiza - The Silent Movie"

reading that norman cook thing in the guardian - sounds more like a feature length music video than actual film

I'll give it a go though

Saw it at Glastonbury and wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. It’s a part acted/part archive footage potted history if the island with an ok soundtrack by NC. Just didn’t really light my fire. If it pops up on the Beeb to watch, I’d give it a go, but I wouldn’t pay to see it in the cinema

Saw this yesterday in Manchester with the wife (having literally just got back from Formentera). It’s a curious film. I don’t think anyone on here with a passing interest in Ibiza history will learn much that they don’t already know, especially if at some point you’ve leafed through a guidebook or read something like Stephen Armstrong’s ‘White Island’ book. There’s quite a lot of Ibiza cliches that you’ll have heard loads of times (‘Es Vedra is really magnetic’, ‘until recently there were farmers inland who’d never seen the sea’ etc. I also found the soundtrack pretty boring but then I’ve never been a Fatboy Slim fan. Think I groaned out loud at some drone footage of Ushuaia accompanied by ‘Right Here, Right Now’.
Still it is very watchable and has some good points - some of the old footage is ace and it really doesn’t shy away from addressing the current socio-economic issues - Matutes, VIP/vacuous selfie culture, high rents etc. Also glad that the Rampling/Oakie holiday story doesn’t get yet another airing. Plus Norman redeemed himself in the end with ‘Jibaro’ blasting out during the end credits, causing me to look at bleeding flights again.
3 popcorns out of 5 ???

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday in Manchester with the wife (having literally just got back from Formentera). It’s a curious film. I don’t think anyone on here with a passing interest in Ibiza history will learn much that they don’t already know, especially if at some point you’ve leafed through a guidebook or read something like Stephen Armstrong’s ‘White Island’ book. There’s quite a lot of Ibiza cliches that you’ll have heard loads of times (‘Es Vedra is really magnetic’, ‘until recently there were farmers inland who’d never seen the sea’ etc. I also found the soundtrack pretty boring but then I’ve never been a Fatboy Slim fan. Think I groaned out loud at some drone footage of Ushuaia accompanied by ‘Right Here, Right Now’.
Still it is very watchable and has some good points - some of the old footage is ace and it really doesn’t shy away from addresses the current socio-economic issues - Matutes, VIP/vacuous selfie culture, high rents etc. Also glad that the Rampling/Oakie holiday story doesn’t get yet another airing. Plus Norman redeemed himself in the end with ‘Jibaro’ blasting out during the end credits, causing me to look at bleeding flights again.
3 popcorns out of 5 ???

please post more often! I think you're totally on my wavelength

the problem is perhaps that the more mainstream and global ibz gets and the larger the market there is - the harder it becomes to make a film that is interesting, unique or worthwhile. 'A short film about chilling' depicted something truly unique which at the time was unavailable anywhere else on earth whereas I don't know how an afternoon at Ushuaia has any kind of USP. So on the one hand they want to cash in on the history whilst at the same time offering a pastiche which is increasingly divorced from the roots. so what angle is any film maker supposed to take? and how do you avoid the cliches when the're all etched into folklore?

Back