JOHN NEWMAN + LULU JAMES | IBIZA ROCKS | 18/06/14

McRackin

Super Moderator
The MTV cameras were all over the place last night, filming every little detail for one of the Ibiza Rocks specials to be broadcasted by the channel later in the sumer. A night that started with P-Funk & M-Boogie (Rudimental's tour dj), who later also dj'd at Es Paradis and Ibiza Rocks House's private after.

021+-+copia.JPG

One week ago it was announced that Lulu James would replace Chloe Howl on this show. The 21 year old singer, of Tanzanian descent but raised in north England, has released a few EP's and singles and these days is working on her debut album. She mixes electronica with Soul, what she likes to describe as 21st century Soul although Ambient-Soul would suit her better and would be less pretentious.

Backed by a three-piece band and hidden during part of the gig behind a mask, the stunning singer warmed up the lively crowd and gave us a taste of her upcoming first album with songs like "Sweetest Thing", "Closer" or the final "Beautiful People", where her atmospheric vocals flirt with the electronic beats but sounding rawer than the studio versions.

She has it all: a superb voice, some decent songs and a cool style too!

088+-+copia.JPG

The English singer John Newman became the name on everyone's lips after writing and singing on Rudimental's "Feel The Love" and "Not Giving In" (featuring also the absolutely brilliant Alex Clare, who played at Ibiza Rocks two years ago) and reached his own individual fame through the lead single of his debut album (Tribute - 2013), "Love Me Again".

By the time the singer of the blonde streak came on stage you could feel the electricity streaming through the eager fans that filled the hotel's poolside courtyard. Newman, who turned 24 on monday, and his band (including two female background vocalists) performed the first album in its integrity, saving for the encore "Not Giving In" followed by his hit single "Love Me Again", with the whole hotel singing and clapping and during which he descended to the photographers pit to salute the audience.

With his peculiar voice (which reminds quite a lot to Maverick Sabre, who we saw in that stage in 2011 and 2012) and the Michael Jackson-ish dance moves, he had everyone eating from his hand and the young female contingent screaming in ecstasy!

181+-+copia.JPG

Ibiza Rocks line-ups and tickets here:
:arrow: http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/promoters/ibiza_rocks_i.htm

Huge night of live music under the Balearic stars filmed by MTV.

Brand new series begins on 2nd August 2014!

John Newman with an awesome performance of his number 1 single, Love Me Again during his unforgettable performance at Ibiza Rocks.

Back