Jimmy Carr

He's unlucky and a scapegoat. I'm sure plenty of people on here would do the same....and it's not illegal.

There are plenty of other people conning the country out of taxes, whilst the middle to lower classes are having their pants pulled down.

If we have to pay it, everyone should pay it fairly. There are too many loopholes.

I forgive him.

He seemed mortified and his explanations on Twitter are totally sound.

He was given a legal option by his accountant and he blindly took it.

Plenty of scapegoats to be had - bankers for the most part.

I'm not wasting any anger on this tabloid fodder.

I forgive him.

He seemed mortified and his explanations on Twitter are totally sound.

He was given a legal option by his accountant and he blindly took it.

Plenty of scapegoats to be had - bankers for the most part.

I'm not wasting any anger on this tabloid fodder.

Nail, head...

Typical of Cameron to ride the public wave and try and get a word in; entirely ignoring the irony and hypocrisy given his families fortune was built through off-shore tax havens.

Or that most of his peers were caught illegally (not, as Carr did, legally) fiddling expenses.

There's not a single person in here, or even in the UK, who when told they could pay 1% tax instead of 30-50%, and it be legal, would turn it down.

I have strange idealist views about hierarchy.

It ain't fair that some don't get a slice of the pie - and $hit that our education system is built on competition over cooperation & community.

The inherited (white) British class system sucks, as does the modern equivalent adopted by religious freaks (capitalists) of the kind that worship at the altar of money.

Please don't put it on me to suggest a viable alternative though. :lol:

Could've been a lot worse for him if he'd been in the States- look at what happened to Wesley Snipes: Got 8 years in prison even though he pointed out that he employed a manager and accountant to look after his finances.

It ain't fair that some don't get a slice of the pie - and $hit that our education system is built on competition over cooperation & community.

The inherited (white) British class system sucks, as does the modern equivalent adopted by religious freaks (capitalists) of the kind that worship at the altar of money.

Please don't put it on me to suggest a viable alternative though. :lol:

Abolish money and build a utopian society. Think we need to get matter replication first though, to have our every need fulfilled.

Could've been a lot worse for him if he'd been in the States- look at what happened to Wesley Snipes: Got 8 years in prison even though he pointed out that he employed a manager and accountant to look after his finances.

Snipes received a 3 year sentence because he'd never submitted a tax return or paid any tax on his earnings.

Agree that the punishment is far more harsh, but he broke the law, Carr (to date) hasn't.

There's not a single person in here, or even in the UK, who when told they could pay 1% tax instead of 30-50%, and it be legal, would turn it down.

You think? Imagine what state the country would be in if we all did that. Jimmy Carr makes more money than most people would know what to do with (and still gets use of the roads, police, fire service, NHS, etc). From what I've read (I don't like what little I've seen of his smug comedy), his act includes ripping the pi$$ out of politicians/bankers. There's way too much hypocrisy in public life - from politicians (just about all of them) and entertainers (see also Andrew Marr, Angus Deayton).

perhaps this and previous Governments shouldn't have had these loopholes avaliable

what you say? how will their chums managed to fleece the country of kerjillions then?

hmmmm

This is a good point and something we'll come up against more and more as populations grow and resources become more scarce.

Does having the money allow you to buy as much of X as you like (even if it means others have to go without) or should X be rationed out on need/more fairly?

IMO capitalism functions by the top chucking out just enough crumbs to keep the rest *just* satisfied. There is a point (which some countries [Greece?] could reach) where people get pi$$ed off enough to violently overthrow the system. At that point money/credit won't be worth the paper it's printed on or the bytes on a hard disk.

You think? Imagine what state the country would be in if we all did that. Jimmy Carr makes more money than most people would know what to do with (and still gets use of the roads, police, fire service, NHS, etc). From what I've read (I don't like what little I've seen of his smug comedy), his act includes ripping the pi$$ out of politicians/bankers. There's way too much hypocrisy in public life - from politicians (just about all of them) and entertainers (see also Andrew Marr, Angus Deayton).

Yes, but his act is just that - it's a stage persona, a character. Different people find different styles of comedy funny/offensive/dull. I, for one, find Harry Hill particular dumbed down nonsence - but lots of people think he's a genius - point is, I don't confuse the Harry Hill i see on TV, with Harry Hill the real life person (apparently he's a fully qualified doctor!, who'd have thought?!)

Carr has been very humble in his apology.

It's obvious he employs accountants and financial advisors to look after his assets.

The difference with politicians is that what you see should be what you get - which is rarely the case.

Carr made a mistake, and held his hands up. The frenzy whipped up in the media was a full scale witch hunt. There's plenty of wealthy(er) people who subscribe to these legal but ethically questionable schemes who are not in the public spotlight, so get away with it.

Notice how the politicians were quick to jump on the story as for once it didn't involve one of their own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18521468

^^ Interestingly, Ed Milliband speaks more sense than anybody.

As for Cameron, he's done a lot in recent months to win me around, but his stance on this is beyond hypocritical, considering the level of tax breaks his party have passed onto the considerably wealthy (who are, conveniently, Conservative supporters and funders!)

Yes, but his act is just that - it's a stage persona, a character.

I don't know. IMO topical comedy has the power to damage/hurt.

There is a lot in this country around money/wealth (essentially claims on resources/influence) which just isn't right. David Cameron had no right to criticise, but I'm sure Carr would have criticised Cameron and his rich chums - hypocrisy, which I personally can't stand.

more to the point

when did it become acceptable for a policitician to publically discuss a private individual's tax circumstances?

I don't know. IMO topical comedy has the power to damage/hurt.

There is a lot in this country around money/wealth (essentially claims on resources/influence) which just isn't right. David Cameron had no right to criticise, but I'm sure Carr would have criticised Cameron and his rich chums - hypocrisy, which I personally can't stand.

I think it's considerably dangerous that anybody take their political or economic outlook on the content of a comedic act.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some do. But, on the contary, in these tough economic times - I think having a laugh is essential.

Half of Carr's act is taking the piss out of himself - he's looks, how tight he is, how much of C*** he is etc.

As a comedian's target, I think policians are fair game. And, likewise, being a public figure, Carr is legitimate target for a politician... but still, I come back to point, Carr is an entertainter. He is not, nor has he ever claimed to be, setting an example.

I will be seeing him live in a couple of weeks time, and I guarentee that he will bring this controversy into his act instead of sweeping it under the carpet.

Back