Is Trance music dying ?

Be good to see Oakenfold at some point.

Jake, when did you start listening to Trance?

Good question, i suppose it first started by hearing Faithless (not trance i know) where i developed the taste for a good pumping beat, then through Judge Jules radio 1 show i got into a bit of trance and then it went on from there and then i went to Ibiza and went to places like AVB a space, Cream, judgement sundays. The older trance of synths & strings is much better, too much bass in a lot of the stuff today. Plus with very few club nights it hard to hear it regularly outside of podcasts and radio.

Starting to sway to the more deep house stuff like jamie jones, seth troxler, maya jane coles, that sort of thing, especially as theres a really good underground scene in places like shoreditch & old street in London.

Good question, i suppose it first started by hearing Faithless (not trance i know) where i developed the taste for a good pumping beat, then through Judge Jules radio 1 show i got into a bit of trance and then it went on from there and then i went to Ibiza and went to places like AVB a space, Cream, judgement sundays. The older trance of synths & strings is much better, too much bass in a lot of the stuff today. Plus with very few club nights it hard to hear it regularly outside of podcasts and radio.

Starting to sway to the more deep house stuff like jamie jones, seth troxler, maya jane coles, that sort of thing, especially as theres a really good underground scene in places like shoreditch & old street in London.

I used to live a stones throw from Shoreditch. Sadly, my London mates musical taste hadn't evolved enough to have ever had a proper night out there :(.

I started listening...probably about 5 years ago, now. It was Marco V and a night at turnmills that really opened my mind to the genre. Most of the stuff coming out these days has lost the edge it used to. Yeah, it's melodic, but it doesn't put you in a Trance like state that songs like PvD - Words (For Love) or Binary Finary - 1998 does. Ibiza in 2009 is still my best year, as the music there was incredible, before the music began to merge with house and lost alot of it's meaning.

Well judging by last friday at the Gallery Xmas party, Trance is definitely still alive and kicking, be it only on fridays at Ministry by the look of things.

Good sets from Andy Moor and Markus Shulz, even if the sound was not great at the beginning of the night, they sorted it out towards the end.

There was a higher percentage of idiots in there that night, but it being black friday (or whatever its called), I guess it was only expected.

Next stop, Joris Voorn on NYD!!

Back