Is the guitar music taking over the White Isle?

TBH, once you're actually stuck in the darkness of a club, I like Glasgow's Arches as much as anything I've experienced in Ibiza (even if the party does stop 3 - 4am :rolleyes:) - though I'm by no means an Ibiza club expert.

You need to pop down to London, JV .. Parties go on 'till 8-9am and in some cases 2pm the next day or later .. (Fabric Saturdays for e.g. ..)

What I really like about Ibiza is the before and after more than the clubs themselves. Being able to come out into the warm sunshine and have a swim in the sea or hit the beach after clubbing, and having such a beautiful place to be to balance it all out.

I can be just as happy in Fabric or Berghain as in Amnesia.

Done Fabric & The Fridge - though years ago! I've learned there are 'secret' after parties in Glasgow - just not been to one yet. TBH, my old bones are happy to finish at 3 or 4am!

One thing you get far less of in Glasgow (compared to Ibiza) is posing!

Done Fabric & The Fridge - though years ago! I've learned there are 'secret' after parties in Glasgow - just not been to one yet. TBH, my old bones are happy to finish at 3 or 4am!

One thing you get far less of in Glasgow (compared to Ibiza) is posing!

You don't like to pose when you are at home? :lol:

You don't like to pose when you are at home? :lol:

You know what I mean... You go to some clubs in Ibiza and there are as many people there to be seen (and show off their plasticky bodies/sunglasses) as there are to party. Glasgow's a bit more... um... down to earth and you'll see a few muffin tops. :lol:

You know what I mean... You go to some clubs in Ibiza and there are as many people there to be seen (and show off their plasticky bodies/sunglasses) as there are to party. Glasgow's a bit more... um... down to earth and you'll see a few muffin tops. :lol:

I knew what you getting at, removing tongue from cheek:oops:

all the 'ibiza rocks' vests are as bad as the 'Tubing Vang Vieng' vests in Laos... avoid avoid avoid..

but each to they own ;)

saying that... if someone gave me a IR vest I would prob take it...
Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

i don't think anything is taking over anything but what is for sure is that IR is attracting a new generation of music fans that are more open minded and with less prejudices, which can only be a good thing. the fact that nowadays IR sells more merchandising than the brand pacha is also a significant change.....

i disagree mackers. this new generation aren't more open-minded at all and if anything are more prejudice, because they're just normal people from everyday life and consequently, within any cross section of such a group of people.......you'll get liberals, conservatives, republians, democrats, religious, etc, etc

dance music culture, as a subculture, has always been defined by generally liberal, wannabe hippie like fun loving lifestyle choice. it might sound corny, but those type of people are more likely to have made music their life, in one way or another.

to make the point, the reason why some people in ibiza are against bands or hip-hop or whatever is as much about who likes that style of music as the music itself. in short, the more mainstream the music, the more diluted the values of the people following it.

i appreciate things have crossed over a lot recently but the point still stands.

My own observation from years on this forum, which is my only contact with 'dance music culture' is that its followers are no more or less conventional than any other.

Middle class white people on the job/mortgage/children hamster wheel of life jumping off for the odd weekend/holiday of clubbing 'carnage' where conventionality ironically once again dictates their uniform, hairstyle, sunglasses, etc.

it's like watching metropolis

Middle class white people on the job/mortgage/children hamster wheel of life jumping off for the odd weekend/holiday of clubbing 'carnage' where conventionality ironically once again dictates their uniform, hairstyle, sunglasses, etc.
Ahem....

as always morby, it's a general observation and doesn't include mould breakers such as yourself.

EXCLUSIVE: Sasha on the music scene

Notice any musical changes over this summer in Ibiza? As stalwarts of the scene, Sasha, We Love, Ibiza Rocks and Doorly should certainly have an idea of what's what. Here are their thoughts on how things have shifted and will continue to change on the White Isle.

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-WByDP5RSg

I'm with Grego.

Ibiza is (or has been) a major testing ground for house music since it hit European shores and a convergence point for people all over the globe - however mundane or conventional they may be (or not).

Ibiza can't lay the same claim to guitar music - Indie bands playing in the Balearics is as incidental as anywhere else.

Ibiza Rocks may be popular and profitable but it certainly ain't remarkable.

Would you rather go and see a indie/dance band like Friendly Fires at IR or be subjected to ***** by David Guetta at Pacha? It's really just about good/bad music and whether something has the potential to work in the sun. As i said earlier, it's only (!) in the past 20 - 25 years that Ibiza has been taken over by dance music - before that it was far more mixed (not that I was there; all going by what I've read).

Dance music is no more cult-ish than any other genre these days.

Dance music is no more cult-ish than any other genre these days.

Didn't say it was - Ibiza used to be a convergence point for dance, that's all (still is but...)

...the diminished cult status and rising prices are possibly why the mantle is slowly being handed over to places like Berlin.

Back