Is the guitar music taking over the White Isle?

The 'guitar' music that works best in Ibiza tends to take influence from dance music - hence the singer from Friendly Fires in the accompanying pic.

And what do you reckon McRackin? How many people really go to Ibiza to see the latest flash in the pan, indie landfill band (which is what a good 50% of the IR schedule seems to be made up of)?

i don't think anything is taking over anything but what is for sure is that IR is attracting a new generation of music fans that are more open minded and with less prejudices, which can only be a good thing. the fact that nowadays IR sells more merchandising than the brand pacha is also a significant change.....

Surely before house & trance music, etc, the Ibizan music scene was very mixed anyway, going way back to the hippy days? Hence the term 'Balearic' as sometimes applied to music. There is a certain type of music that works better in the sun, not restricted by genre. I think Quiet Village's 'Silent Movie' album was an attempt to get back to that sort of thing - psychedelia, reggae, disco, pop, chill-out, etc.

I'm musically very open-minded, but I just don't see how bands like Arctic Monkeys 'work' in the sun. There's music I actually like and would listen to at home (dubstep, Sigur Ros) which I wouldn't consider sunny/summery/holiday music either imo.

A lot of guitar music is pop music too. ;) I really don't understand how anyone can work up enthusiasm for The Vaccines or The Wombats, but then I am getting old...

+3 as I look at the Supermartxe t-shirt I've been wearing to clear out the gutters this morning.. (freebie btw ...:lol:)..

+4 :D As I think of the many items of Pacha clothing in my wardrobe/Car/Floor/Shed, But when you can buy a T-shirt for 4€ or a "hoodie" for 14€ ish in the hotel sale,,,,,, Silly not to.

Tim

+4 :D As I think of the many items of Pacha clothing in my wardrobe/Car/Floor/Shed, But when you can buy a T-shirt for 4€ or a "hoodie" for 14€ ish in the hotel sale,,,,,, Silly not to.

Tim

One of my friends spent 60EUROS!!!!!!! on a Pacha hoody.

I was like 'your on crack mate'...

But all the 'ibiza rocks' vests are as bad as the 'Tubing Vang Vieng' vests in Laos... avoid avoid avoid..

but each to they own ;)

saying that... if someone gave me a IR vest I would prob take it... never been and never will, but its not my scene. Think its nice to watch bands in the sunshine, but its not what I go to ibiza for.

I love Techno and Deep House, I'm not going to waste 30 odd euros seeing some band who probably plays all the playhouses in england every year with the same cd they brought out 3 years ago.... ok now I'm rambling again... :rolleyes:

I love Techno and Deep House, I'm not going to waste 30 odd euros seeing some band who probably plays all the playhouses in england every year with the same cd they brought out 3 years ago.... ok now I'm rambling again... :rolleyes:

We'd have preferred to see Friendly Fires in the sun, but couldn't make their IR week. Off to see them at Glasgow's Barrowlands instead in November. TBH, once you're actually stuck in the darkness of a club, I like Glasgow's Arches as much as anything I've experienced in Ibiza (even if the party does stop 3 - 4am :rolleyes:) - though I'm by no means an Ibiza club expert.

I don't think so. Electronic music will be always the main genre played.
But it's good that rock is increasing his audience: most of people listen to both.

Back